Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 137

Thread: Rangers Locking Up Tony DeAngelo is Far From No-Brainer

  1. #1
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    89,498
    Rep Power
    532

    Rangers Locking Up Tony DeAngelo is Far From No-Brainer

    This is likely the most daunting question Rangers management will confront this offseason in evaluating whether it can afford to sign No. 77 for what likely would be at least $6 million per year on a long-term deal.

    There are options, of course. The parties could negotiate a short-term bridge deal for two years for a number that probably would come in around $5 million per. Failing that, management could allow DeAngelo to become the first Ranger since Nikolay Zherdev in 2009 to go to arbitration, but thatís not an alternative favored by anyone.
    Clearly, if the Rangers are going to sign DeAngelo for the long term, they have to be convinced this controversy-free season will be the norm and not the exception. There were no benchings or healthy scratches resulting from immature behavior, as there had been on multiple occasions in 2018-19. In fact, it was just as DeAngelo promised the day he reported to camp after settling on his one-year contract.

    DeAngelo is popular within the room, a big-personality guy. His opinions, which he enjoys sharing on social media, arenít for everyone, probably arenít for most New Yorkers, but thatís off the ice and hasnít had an impact on his relationship with his teammates or on his play. The Rangers arenít going to be divesting themselves of a rare talent because of Twitter.
    Managementís decision will be about DeAngelo, but not only about DeAngelo. Because there is going to be a cap crunch. Because the Rangers have Jacob Trouba, who will be entering the second season of a seven-year deal worth $8 million per, on the right side. Because the Rangers have 21-year-old Adam Fox, perhaps not as dynamic, but more effective as a two-way defenseman, on the right side. Because the Rangers have 19-year-old Nils Lundkvist on his way from Sweden.

    Trouba, whose no-movement clause kicks in on July 1 (or on whatever equivalent date is set if the offseason calendar requires a readjustment) and Fox are going to play. And when Fox comes off his entry-level deal he is going to get paid big money. Can the Rangers afford $5 million to $6 million per over the long haul to have DeAngelo on the third pair?

    That probably wonít work for anyone. But what if the Rangers move DeAngelo to his off-side on the left, where he has played capably at different stages of his career? The Blueshirts finished this year with Ryan Lindgren, Marc Staal and Brendan Smith as their three lefties.

    Uhh Ö

    I know. Libor Hajek is a lefty and so is Yegor Rykov. KíAndre Miller plays the left side and so do Tarmo Reunanen, Zac Jones and Matthew Robertson. But they are prospects. DeAngelo is an established NHL player. Yes, he is. He established that this year. Moving him to that side would fill a need.

    Imagine how poetic it would be to find DeAngelo on the left of anything.
    https://nypost.com/2020/03/25/ranger...om-no-brainer/


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,640
    Rep Power
    175
    Around and around we go. You sign your good players. It's the coach/mgmt/player's job to keep his head on straight.

    There's no point in rebuilding if you can't afford to keep any of the players who actually pan out.

    Dump Hank. Dump Staal. Dump Smith. They're all dead weight.
    GORTON 2020

  3. #3
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,204
    Rep Power
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Around and around we go. You sign your good players. It's the coach/mgmt/player's job to keep his head on straight.

    There's no point in rebuilding if you can't afford to keep any of the players who actually pan out.

    Dump Hank. Dump Staal. Dump Smith. They're all dead weight.
    That's not really the dilemma. The question is, "How much can you afford to pay a 3rd pair PP specialist before it negatively impacts the rest of your roster?"

    There are 50 d-men that scored over 30 points this year. ADA, Yandle, Fox, Dahlin, and Shattenkirk are the only ones that played less than 20 minutes per game. Fox is a rookie and Dahlin is still a teenager. Look at the 3 that leaves.

    We had Yandle. We moved on instead of paying him the $6+ he got from Florida, where he's been a 60 point Dman but that doesn't really help them.
    We had Shattenkirk. We bought him out.

    You have a finite amount of money to spend on D. Finding guys that can play 25 minutes a night against the other teams top players is the priority over offense only guys.

  4. #4
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,640
    Rep Power
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    That's not really the dilemma. The question is, "How much can you afford to pay a 3rd pair PP specialist before it negatively impacts the rest of your roster?"

    There are 50 d-men that scored over 30 points this year. ADA, Yandle, Fox, Dahlin, and Shattenkirk are the only ones that played less than 20 minutes per game. Fox is a rookie and Dahlin is still a teenager. Look at the 3 that leaves.

    We had Yandle. We moved on instead of paying him the $6+ he got from Florida, where he's been a 60 point Dman but that doesn't really help them.
    We had Shattenkirk. We bought him out.

    You have a finite amount of money to spend on D. Finding guys that can play 25 minutes a night against the other teams top players is the priority over offense only guys.
    I mean the guy scored the most points since Leetch so, downplay his role all you want, he was a very important part of this team this year and will only get better. I'm not saying sign him to a 7 year deal at max money, but he's a good player. You don't just dump someone because you hope a rookie can fill the void.
    GORTON 2020

  5. #5
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,204
    Rep Power
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I mean the guy scored the most points since Leetch so, downplay his role all you want, he was a very important part of this team this year and will only get better. I'm not saying sign him to a 7 year deal at max money, but he's a good player. You don't just dump someone because you hope a rookie can fill the void.
    Ok, great. Leetch also played 28 minutes a night, won a calder, 2 norris, and a con smythe trophy. ADA isn't Leecth. It's not about 'dumping' ADA. I never said ADA isn't a good player. Its about not committing too much money to a defender that doesn't defend. Being 5th in the league in goals for per game is great, until you see that you give up the 9th most.

  6. #6
    A-hee-ahee ha-hee BSBH Prospect
    Drew a Penalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    14,503
    Rep Power
    184
    Considering the Rangers have spent the better part of the last two decades pouring assets and money into failed attempts at getting a 50+ point defenseman, it would be unwise to offload the one they finally have at a good point in his career.

  7. #7
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    89,498
    Rep Power
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    Considering the Rangers have spent the better part of the last two decades pouring assets and money into failed attempts at getting a 50+ point defenseman, it would be unwise to offload the one they finally have at a good point in his career.
    It would probably be equally unwise to lock him up to a seven-year deal given the urgency that'll surrounded them in a heartbeat when Fox is due and they've got $15 million in AAV and likely trade protection locked up in two defensemen who play the same side and compete for the same role(s).

    There's a limit to this so long as Trouba remains on the roster or all three remain on the right.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  8. #8
    A-hee-ahee ha-hee BSBH Prospect
    Drew a Penalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    14,503
    Rep Power
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    It would probably be equally unwise to lock him up to a seven-year deal given the urgency that'll surrounded them in a heartbeat when Fox is due and they've got $15 million in AAV and likely trade protection locked up in two defensemen who play the same side and compete for the same role(s).

    There's a limit to this so long as Trouba remains on the roster or all three remain on the right.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Everyone fears trade protections. Trades still happen.

  9. #9
    Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    TwoMinutesForNothing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    6,914
    Rep Power
    79
    He's 24 years old. He still has plenty of room for growth. His offense is already this good and his defense will likely improve, look at the difference in his game from last year to this one. Under no circumstance do you let him go unless it's a trade that's clearly worth making. You lock him up long term before he prices himself up even higher with more improved play.

  10. #10
    Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,833
    Rep Power
    413
    Dan Boyle got 8%ch 3.33m around the same age, same point in career. That’s an adjusted 6.8m per. Damn.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  11. #11
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    89,498
    Rep Power
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    Everyone fears trade protections. Trades still happen.
    Not with enough frequency to dismiss those fears. Staal, Girardi, Shattenkirk, Redden, and more say hello.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  12. #12
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,048
    Rep Power
    381
    The last line in the column is so dumb. I've never seen anything like it, in the reverse. Just doesn't happen.

  13. #13
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    89,498
    Rep Power
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    The last line in the column is so dumb. I've never seen anything like it, in the reverse. Just doesn't happen.
    First time reading a Brooks article? LOL.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  14. #14
    A-hee-ahee ha-hee BSBH Prospect
    Drew a Penalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    14,503
    Rep Power
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Not with enough frequency to dismiss those fears. Staal, Girardi, Shattenkirk, Redden, and more say hello.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Trouba isn't as old as any of them.

  15. #15
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    89,498
    Rep Power
    532

    Rangers Locking Up Tony DeAngelo is Far From No-Brainer

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    Trouba isn't as old as any of them.
    And? Every one of them, Staal withstanding, was removed the hardest way possible because trade clauses locked them into an unmovable position.

    You think Trouba is going to be easier to move as his deal ages? Subban didn't even have protection, I don't believe, and fostered exactly one trade partner at the age of 30 because exactly one partner could/would take his full freight. He makes $1 million more than Trouba.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  16. #16
    A-hee-ahee ha-hee BSBH Prospect
    Drew a Penalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    14,503
    Rep Power
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    And? Every one of them, Staal withstanding, was removed the hardest way possible because trade clauses locked them into an unmovable position.

    You think Trouba is going to be easier to move as his deal ages? Subban didn't even have protection, I don't believe, and fostered exactly one trade partner at the age of 30 because exactly one partner could/would take his full freight. He makes $1 million more than Trouba.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Because they were all above 30 and some form of broken down. Trouba is 26. They don't compare.

  17. #17
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    89,498
    Rep Power
    532
    Youíre missing my point, which is that this doesnít matter until it does ó when they have to pay everyone ó and when that happens, itís happening quickly. Ask the Leafs.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  18. #18
    A-hee-ahee ha-hee BSBH Prospect
    Drew a Penalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    14,503
    Rep Power
    184
    I'm not missing your point. I don't agree with it. Even the Leafs don't compare. The players they have aren't tough to move it's a matter of not wanting to.

  19. #19
    Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    TwoMinutesForNothing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    6,914
    Rep Power
    79
    They need to either move Trouba this offseason or accept that they aren't going to be able to move him and it will screw them out of keeping someone better in the future. They probably will go with the latter since they just gave him that deal.

  20. #20
    Banned Junior Division
    Albatross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    7,163
    Rep Power
    123
    You sign him to a year or two contract and trade him for a forward asset. A young 60 point d-man, possibly in a package could get a nice return

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •