• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Official "How Many Time Lias Anderson Gets Tossed from the Face-Off Circle" Thread

Ozzy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So your version of not playing poorly is barely outproducing our even younger 4th line center who gets 50% less ice time with michael haley and brendan smith?

No. You're conflating your point with mine. I said Howden hasn't been bad. You said he "hasn't earned his ice time." The only person capable of taking away his ice time has been worse than him. It's that simple.

Does he though? It’s impossible to say what Lias would’ve done with the same amount of ice time and leash Howden has been given. He could have taken huge steps, he could have been totally shit and drowned. We just don’t know. And that, I guess, is the problem.

Howden earned his ice time in the first few months last season. No doubt about that. Then he hit the wall and was putrid for the rest of the season. Yet he kept playing. Andersson has certainly never earned his ice time in the way Howden did, but he has also never really been given the platform to succeed and never had any leash at all.

The way they’re handling him is just weird from an organizational perspective imo. They said none of their key prospects would play on the 4th line. Yet here we are with Andersson. Is he no longer seen as a key prospect going forward?

I hear ya on the above, Gravy! usually where there's smoke, there's fire...but I don't think we're gonna be "in the know" on what's going on behind the scenes with him.

I'm thinking JD, Gorton and Quinn are all on the same page and we'll see how it shakes out over the season...it's easy to think somethin's up with this kid, but we'll find out soon enough.

No. You're conflating your point with mine. I said Howden hasn't been bad. You said he "hasn't earned his ice time." The only person capable of taking away his ice time has been worse than him. It's that simple.

You have yet to show anything that says Howden hasn't been bad, other than Andersson has been worse. I don't even know if Andersson has actually been worse when factoring in linemates and opportunity. The point is moot though. Your logic in determining whether a player is playing well or bad is flawed.

Lias hasn’t consistently done enough to warrant more ice time. Howden hasn’t been great either but he’s been better and more consistent than Lias.

At this point, if they want to send Lias to Hartford, I’m ok with it.

I’m ok with a rotation too, at least here in the early going

You have yet to show anything that says Howden hasn't been bad, other than Andersson has been worse. I don't even know if Andersson has actually been worse when factoring in linemates and opportunity. The point is moot though. Your logic in determining whether a player is playing well or bad is flawed.

My point was, it's popular to shit on Brett Howden and cry for Lias to play up the lineup, when in reality it's not warranted. If you care to do a deep dive on advanced stats, this holds true. Howden has more goals, more point, better FO%, and better possession numbers across the board. Relative to the players Howden is competing against for ice time, he hasn't been that bad. If you care to fact check that, go ahead. But I could say the very same thing about your argument. You have yet to prove why Howden should be demoted in favor of Anderson. You have excuses as to why Lias has fewer goals, assists, and ice time but you don't have don't have any concrete proof that he actually deserves it.

My point was, it's popular to shit on Brett Howden and cry for Lias to play up the lineup, when in reality it's not warranted. If you care to do a deep dive on advanced stats, this holds true. Howden has more goals, more point, better FO%, and better possession numbers across the board. Relative to the players Howden is competing against for ice time, he hasn't been that bad. If you care to fact check that, go ahead. But I could say the very same thing about your argument. You have yet to prove why Howden should be demoted in favor of Anderson. You have excuses as to why Lias has fewer goals, assists, and ice time but you don't have don't have any concrete proof that he actually deserves it.

I never even brought up Andersson. You did lol. I just made a general statement that Howden lost a couple key faceoffs last game.

NHL RULE 54 Face-Offs: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=25008

After reading through the rules, there seems to be plenty of leeway given. The parts talking about "player contact" prior to puck drop seem to be quite open to interpretation. One thing still puzzles me though...after that goalie catches or freezes the puck, the face-off sometimes occurs on the 'wrong' side of the ice? I don't notice this in the NHL as much as in college games. Anyone have a better explanation? The rules don't seem to specify or I just did not read that.

I never even brought up Andersson. You did lol. I just made a general statement that Howden lost a couple key faceoffs last game.

You said Howden “hasn’t earned his keep or his ice time.” Which to me implies he should be playing 4th line or not at all. If that’s not what you meant then I got it wrong.

For the record, I didn't see him get tossed in the Pittsburgh game! That's a plus!!

I SOOOO wanted to see him score in that one!! Especially since you guys all had that discussion about him and Howden. It wouldda been cool to have Lias score and have Howden assist on it!!! :rofl: ...or vice versa!!!