Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers' Glue Guy Jesper Fast Deserves Contract Extension

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    This practice rarely comes to fruition, though. Most players who are dealt take it personally and don't come back.
    Eh, Hayes wanted to come back. We didn't want to pay him. (Thankfully, in hindsight)

Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    I don't really see what Fast not being a top-line player has to do with keeping him. He's a bottom-six player who happens to be playing up on a team that's lacking options. Unless he becomes a mainstay with Panarin and Zibanejad his price isn't going to skyrocket to levels other players who the Rangers have retained in the past. The issue is how close to the $3M range he's going to want given then trend in the league to pay those guys more. That part I agree with, but I don't think you let him go because he's not a first liner or preventing anyone from coming up. Based on just this season who's really waiting in the wings besides Kravtsov? Strome, Haley, McKegg are also all UFAs. There are spots to be had already.

Also if you're looking for skill or toughness pick one. There are few players in the league that bring both at this point.
    Yeah I hear ya Drew, but we've had so many guys like this in the past that we've held on to for whatever reason. I think it's high time we move on from that mentality of the "people's choice" kinda player and get guys in here that are more impact players.

Whether it's toughness, skill...whatever. Fast is kind of the epitome of the type of player the Rangers need to let go of when their time is up here. He's nothing more than what he is now, and is only going to decline as age sets in in my opinion.

Moderator Junior Division
    This practice rarely comes to fruition, though. Most players who are dealt take it personally and don't come back.
    I know.

I'm just guessing that Fast isn't that type. I wouldn't bet on it happening.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    A must sign. And yes, I'm perfectly happy with a top six role for him. He's actually not a bad finisher, given the opportunity with the right linemates.
    as someone who owns a Fast jersey, i don't agree with the top six aspect of this

can he fill in when needed? Yeah for sure. but I don't think he should consistently be in the top 6

very good 3rd liner/PKer. Great team guy, and a leader on the team. Has showed he can step up and make big plays in clutch moments.

I definitely keep him with a 2, maybe 3 year extension.

Senior Member Midget Division
    why is brooks worried about this? Jesper Fast is not the guy that's gonna be the reason we win the cup. You can always find these guys, i.e. B.Boyle as an example that are good room guys you can pick up later in their careers on 1 year deals.
    Acqua in bocca

Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
    why is brooks worried about this? Jesper Fast is not the guy that's gonna be the reason we win the cup. You can always find these guys, i.e. B.Boyle as an example that are good room guys you can pick up later in their careers on 1 year deals.
    Fast is harder to find a replacement for than Boyle, by a lot.

I agree that he's not necessarily the difference on a cup winner, but he's a much more unique player than a lot of the veteran bottom 6 plugs around the league.

Senior Member Midget Division
    than its a question of cost vs value to the team
    Acqua in bocca

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Fast is harder to find a replacement for than Boyle, by a lot.

I agree that he's not necessarily the difference on a cup winner, but he's a much more unique player than a lot of the veteran bottom 6 plugs around the league.
    I dunno — those types often find themselves unlikely heroes every Spring.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    as Fast has done muktiple times. Came through really big on two OT plays in games 5 and 7 in OT against the caps in 2015. and he was very good in the series against MTL in 2017

Banned Junior Division
    is there really no one in the wings who can take his spot next year? if there isn't, I would contemplate signing him

Just a silly question here...Don't we need centers anyway...not wings?? Especially bottom 6 wings???

I'd sign freakin' Joe Thornton for god's sake...what's he, 40?? There's some experience and toughness and a true 4th line center.

What's his cap hit? I bet it's not too much more than what Fast is gonna ask.

Well yea - nobody would predict Dom Moore scoring the Game 7 winner against MTL.

But a guy like Fast gives you a better chance to do that, than, say Tyler Ennis, I would think. And if you add in the intangible part, it becomes a lot harder to find a 1-1 replacement.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    If Fast makes it to FA, he'll be wearing a Philly jersy at 4M for 5yrs. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Well yea - nobody would predict Dom Moore scoring the Game 7 winner against MTL.

But a guy like Fast gives you a better chance to do that, than, say Tyler Ennis, I would think. And if you add in the intangible part, it becomes a lot harder to find a 1-1 replacement.
    Agreed. The more I think about it unless his ask is insane, I'm pretty sure this one's an easy call to just make in-season. Four years, $10 million. $2.5M AAV.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
    Because a guy you bring in as a UFA as a one year deal hasn't earned the room. He isn't gonna cost alot.

To dumb it down a lot...It's not salary Tetris. You can't make the numbers coming down fit by blowing up what's at the bottom. Fast has earned the right to another deal and is an important part of teaching young guys how to play.

If it's a choice of him vs Kreider, it's not even close for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Because a guy you bring in as a UFA as a one year deal hasn't earned the room. He isn't gonna cost alot.

To dumb it down a lot...It's not salary Tetris. You can't make the numbers coming down fit by blowing up what's at the bottom. Fast has earned the right to another deal and is an important part of teaching young guys how to play.

If it's a choice of him vs Kreider, it's not even close for me.
    Definitely Pete!! Fast certainly is no big Cap hit, and Kreider is just sucking around to be THAT guy that blows with us, and then when he gets to wherever he's going, turns into a the 40 goal potential scorer we thought we had.

There's no way to avoid it either. He's been somewhat of a disappointing player for us, considering what he's turned into, especially after a fairly promising start.

Agreed. The more I think about it unless his ask is insane, I'm pretty sure this one's an easy call to just make in-season. Four years, $10 million. $2.5M AAV.
    Fine with that contract, in general, but I wouldn't move him before the deadline. You could get a first-round pick or, say, the Grabner return for him. Not sure I'm turning that down.

Banned Junior Division
    if you could get a first round pick for Fast, take it and run. i'd fire a GM who gives up 1st rounder for Fast

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    if you could get a first round pick for Fast, take it and run. i'd fire a GM who gives up 1st rounder for Fast
    In a vacuum, I would agree with you, but I think (hope) people are starting to realize that a re-build is more than acquiring young, talented assets and high draft picks.

We need some continuity and we need some proven players.

Yup. Stability is a major factor. I'd be far more inclined to keep Fast than to deal him for a hope and a prayer, either of which would also apply to the goal of keeping him after-the-fact.

Just keep him, period.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast