Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 191

Thread: Rangers Re-Sign Jacob Trouba to 7-Year/$56M Extension; $8M AAV

  1. #81
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,726
    Rep Power
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Agreed, but I'm not the one who made the OEL claim or the one who initially brought up point totals to paint a picture. I posted even strength stats because someone posted point totals first, which was gerrymandering as you say
    You actually brought point totals up first by way of PP time vs PK time.

    The fact remains that you're giving Trouba this contract because of one good year. Every other year he's missed games or been bad or played behind Buff, or all 3.

  2. #82
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,105
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You actually brought point totals up first by way of PP time vs PK time.

    The fact remains that you're giving Trouba this contract because of one good year. Every other year he's missed games or been bad or played behind Buff, or all 3.
    You're stuck on point totals. It's not one good year. Jury is definitely out on Trouba living up to the contract, but his body of work to this point though puts him in this neighborhood dollar wise. Even though it's at the higher end of the neighborhood.

  3. #83
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,726
    Rep Power
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    You're stuck on point totals. It's not one good year. Jury is definitely out on Trouba living up to the contract, but his body of work to this point though puts him in this neighborhood dollar wise. Even though it's at the higher end of the neighborhood.
    You and Puckhead are the only people who've mentioned points, so don't tell me I'm hung up on it when I've mentioned Production in literally one post lol.

  4. #84
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,105
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You and Puckhead are the only people who've mentioned points, so don't tell me I'm hung up on it when I've mentioned Production in literally one post lol.
    You made the OEL claim then brought up Trouba's 50 points and said it wasn't valid. Do better to back up your claim.

  5. #85
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    551
    Rep Power
    9
    If he’s a 30 point player that’s surely a disappointment. To make that amount of money he needs to be consistently at a minimum of 40-45 points while being very good defensively vs top players.

    They gambled on him
    He’s a cusp guy between 1/2 pairing. Low end of one, high end of the other

    His most important impact may be on the defensive side and does his presence with Skjei, whom we all assume is who he will be partnered with, help Skjei get back on track and spark a resurgence in his play

  6. #86
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,726
    Rep Power
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    You made the OEL claim then brought up Trouba's 50 points and said it wasn't valid. Do better to back up your claim.
    Nah, I did just fine. I brought up OEL because someone [quite incorrectly] said I was using contracts from 2016 as a comparable. Just last year, better players were signing for pretty much what Trouba got, after doing it for longer. Year before OEL was Hedman. Trouba is making pretty much what these guys make and yet they're in the Norris conversation and Trouba wasn't even the best defenseman on his team, ever.

    John Carlson, after a 68 point season and a cup, got $8 million. There's a complete my out there that Trouba is somehow owed this money, or we HAD to give it to him, and it was a foregone conclusion...I'm illustrating that's absurd and not the case, as there are 70 point D-men out there making $8 million and Trouba hit 50 one time. One. Time.

    These are the facts....we're betting on Trouba for one good year, because on only had one good year. If you're cool with the risks, great. Others may not be. Deal with it.
    Last edited by Pete; 07-21-2019 at 12:30 PM.

  7. #87
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,105
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Nah, I did just fine. I brought up OEL because someone [quite incorrectly] said I was using contracts from 2016 as a comparable. Just last year, better players were signing for pretty much what Trouba got, after doing it for longer. Year before OEL was Hedman. Trouba is making pretty much what these guys make and yet they're in the Norris conversation and Trouba wasn't even the best defenseman on his team, ever.

    John Carlson, after a 68 point season and a cup, got $8 million. There's a complete my out there that Trouba is somehow owed this money, or we HAD to give it to him, and it was a foregone conclusion...I'm illustrating that's absurd and not the case, as there are 70 point D-men out there making $8 million and Trouba hit 50 one time. One. Time.

    These are the facts....we're betting on Trouba for one good year, because on only had one good year. If you're cool with the risks, great. Others may not be. Deal with it.
    OEL, Hedman, Carlson. One of these is not like the others. I'm actually surprised Hedman and Carlson took those deals to be honest, when guys like Doughty get 11. Karlsson this year at 11.5. It's actually pretty confusing and illustrates you can't pick out the contracts that fit a narrative and leave the ones out that don't. Seems probable to me that Hedman/Carlson valued where they were enough to give quite a large hometown discount to stay put.

    If the Rangers were uncomfortable with the Trouba $ they shouldn't have made the trade in the first place.

  8. #88
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,726
    Rep Power
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    OEL, Hedman, Carlson. One of these is not like the others. I'm actually surprised Hedman and Carlson took those deals to be honest, when guys like Doughty get 11. Karlsson this year at 11.5. It's actually pretty confusing and illustrates you can't pick out the contracts that fit a narrative and leave the ones out that don't. Seems probable to me that Hedman/Carlson valued where they were enough to give quite a large hometown discount to stay put.

    If the Rangers were uncomfortable with the Trouba $ they shouldn't have made the trade in the first place.
    Yes. Trouba is not like OEL, Carlson or Hedman LOL.

    Even your pot shots don't make sense... Contracts that fit the narrative? Blah blah yada yada. Try harder.

    Or maybe you can abandon the weaksauce and address the point? I'll say it again since you manage to sidestep repeatedly...

    There's a complete myth out there that Trouba is somehow owed this money, or we HAD to give it to him, and it was a foregone conclusion...I'm illustrating that's absurd and not the case, as there are 70 point D-men out there making $8 million and Trouba hit 50 one time. One. Time.

    These are the facts....we're betting on Trouba for one good year, because on only had one good year. If you're cool with the risks, great. Others may not be. Deal with it.

  9. #89
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,105
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes. Trouba is not like OEL, Carlson or Hedman LOL.

    Even your pot shots don't make sense... Contracts that fit the narrative? Blah blah yada yada. Try harder.

    Or maybe you can abandon the weaksauce and address the point? I'll say it again since you manage to sidestep repeatedly...

    There's a complete myth out there that Trouba is somehow owed this money, or we HAD to give it to him, and it was a foregone conclusion...I'm illustrating that's absurd and not the case, as there are 70 point D-men out there making $8 million and Trouba hit 50 one time. One. Time.

    These are the facts....we're betting on Trouba for one good year, because on only had one good year. If you're cool with the risks, great. Others may not be. Deal with it.
    There were no pot shots there lol. Your OEL comparison is way off the mark. You picked a bad example and then you try to group him with Hedman and Carlson. Oof. Trouba is close to OEL, and the other 2 are clearly on a different level.

    The Rangers gambled on trading for Trouba without talking to him first about a contract. Seems to me they were in a spot where they pay a little more than his current worth or they go into the season with a question mark on him remaining with the team after a year. If you disagree with the gamble, fine. I can't say I am particularly all in on the move either. At least like I am with the Panarin signing anyway.

  10. #90
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,726
    Rep Power
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    There were no pot shots there lol. Your OEL comparison is way off the mark. You picked a bad example and then you try to group him with Hedman and Carlson. Oof. Trouba is close to OEL, and the other 2 are clearly on a different level.

    The Rangers gambled on trading for Trouba without talking to him first about a contract. Seems to me they were in a spot where they pay a little more than his current worth or they go into the season with a question mark on him remaining with the team after a year. If you disagree with the gamble, fine. I can't say I am particularly all in on the move either. At least like I am with the Panarin signing anyway.
    You not liking the example doesn't make it a bad example.

    I would venture to bet there's not an NHL GM that takes Trouba over OEL at the same price tag.

    But that said, we agree it's a gamble, at least.

  11. #91
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,733
    Rep Power
    134
    The best player in the game makes 8.7m dollars. Why don’t you compare every contract to that one?
    GORTON 2020

  12. #92
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,726
    Rep Power
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    The best player in the game makes 8.7m dollars. Why donít you compare every contract to that one?
    I'll entertain your disingenuous argument once.

    McDavid makes 12.5.

    Carry on.

  13. #93
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,733
    Rep Power
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'll entertain your disingenuous argument once.

    McDavid makes 12.5.

    Carry on.

    It’s the same logic. A deal that was signed years ago is not relevant to 2019.
    GORTON 2020

  14. #94
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,726
    Rep Power
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Itís the same logic. A deal that was signed years ago is not relevant to 2019.
    OEL signed last year. Carlson and Hedman the year before.

    Crosby signed a 12 year deal in 2013... And that term for someone with a scrambled melon makes sense.

    So there as zero correlation. It's just intentionally lazy.

  15. #95
    Senior Member Midget Division
    4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2,619
    Rep Power
    51
    You know what guys? It's done and the ink is drying. I'm gonna' lie back and enjoy the ride. Start baking that bread and make us happy.

  16. #96
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,249
    Rep Power
    347
    Pionk 2y x 3m
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  17. #97
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    So Nashty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,877
    Rep Power
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Pionk 2y x 3m
    Genuinely curious to see how he does there.




    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  18. #98
    Senior Member Squirt Division Chytiljuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SOFLO
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Pionk 2y x 3m
    The difference between Trouba and Pionk is so much larger than 5 million dollars its laughable...

  19. #99
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,733
    Rep Power
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    OEL signed last year. Carlson and Hedman the year before.

    Crosby signed a 12 year deal in 2013... And that term for someone with a scrambled melon makes sense.

    So there as zero correlation. It's just intentionally lazy.
    When Crosby signed it was like, whoa shit -- that's a big cap hit. Then, 6 years later it's not a big cap hit at all. In fact it's quite small comparatively. You can't compare Trouba's deal to a deal last year, let alone two years ago -- that is a lazy, obvious take that makes no sense considering inflation and cap ceiling.

    Similar to Trouba, OEL also has but one 50 point season. So while you may hold him up as some top flight dman, your logic is flawed. OEL makes more money, on a contract signed a year earlier, on a team that's literally had no success, while only scoring a career high 55 points, one time four years ago.

    So... Please explain how that's a better deal.
    GORTON 2020

  20. #100
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,113
    Rep Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Nah, I did just fine. I brought up OEL because someone [quite incorrectly] said I was using contracts from 2016 as a comparable. Just last year, better players were signing for pretty much what Trouba got, after doing it for longer. Year before OEL was Hedman. Trouba is making pretty much what these guys make and yet they're in the Norris conversation and Trouba wasn't even the best defenseman on his team, ever.

    John Carlson, after a 68 point season and a cup, got $8 million. There's a complete my out there that Trouba is somehow owed this money, or we HAD to give it to him, and it was a foregone conclusion...I'm illustrating that's absurd and not the case, as there are 70 point D-men out there making $8 million and Trouba hit 50 one time. One. Time.

    These are the facts....we're betting on Trouba for one good year, because on only had one good year. If you're cool with the risks, great. Others may not be. Deal with it.
    Carlson is also signed until he's 37, while Trouba is only signed for his prime years. Carlson also got 8th years instead of 7 AND he took a hometown discount to stay with the team he just won a cup with.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •