• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Must Decide Whether to Keep or Deal Kreider

Phil

4. The three most critical decisions regarding current roster players are whether to extend Chris Kreider?s contract or trade him before the clock starts ticking on the final year of his contract; and what to do about Kevin Shattenkirk and Brendan Smith, both of whom could face buyouts if the Blueshirts are unable to deal the defensemen.

A new contract for Kreider would likely cost in the $37 million to $42 million range over six years. If the Rangers opt to deal their third-most senior player (behind Henrik Lundqvist and Marc Staal), the acquiring team would have to be prepared to sign him to the extension in order for the Blueshirts to maximize their return.

Obtaining Kreider as a rental is not an especially enticing proposition. That?s why teams like Edmonton and Winnipeg, who might otherwise have interest in the winger, won?t be in the mix if the Blueshirts decide against an extension that would kick in at age 29.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/07/john-davidson-is-a-rangers-lock-so-let-the-artemi-panarin-frenzy-begin/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The inconsistencies with Kreider have been aggravating over the course of his career. With the start he got off to this past season, I thought maybe he'd finally flourish and maybe Quinn was the perfect guy he could excel under. But, then he went into that long stretch and started to look more like the Chris Kreider we've seen in the past. With is skill set, I always saw no reason why he can't score 30 goals a year. If he wants $6-$7 million per year, I just don't know.

What to do with Kreider boils down to two things:

1. What is his ask to extend and

2. What's the market for him

For me, if the starting point for discussions is over 6m per x 6 years, I'm having a hard look at the market for him.

He's good. I like Kreider. But this strikes me like exactly the sort of deal you might be cursing 4 years down the line. And with the right trading partner he could net a tasty return.

However, if the market is tepid and he's willing to do a team friendly deal it's a different scenario entirely. He has value as a senior guy in the locker room on a roster full of children, regardless of what you might think of his play and his inconsistencies.

It's definitely not a clear cut decision.

There's no possible way to field a team without paying anyone $4-$7 million. It's a pipe dream.

That said, given injuries and inconsistency, I'm not paying Kreider JVR money or anything close.

There's no possible way to field a team without paying anyone $4-$7 million. It's a pipe dream.

True. But it's probably possible to put together a competitive roster without re signing players of Kreider's stature and age to something like 6.5m x 6.

4-7m is the danger zone.

Love Kreider. But I don’t pay for nuthin!

That said, given injuries and inconsistency, I'm not paying Kreider JVR money or anything close.

Sign me up on this one... Cya CK!

I hope he has a decent season though so we can get back some good value, maybe even pair him with.................ahhh no one's taking those dead weight contracts!! :deadhorse:

True. But it's probably possible to put together a competitive roster without re signing players of Kreider's stature and age to something like 6.5m x 6.
Well yeah, that's what I said in the part of my post you didn't quote lol.

Kreider is a 50 point player. He gets 5m, period. If he were putting up 40 goals and 10 assists it would be a different story, but he's not. If he doesn't want 5m, he can go get it in Edmonton.

I love Kreider but he's a complimentary player.

with age first thing that goes is speed and Kreider is all about speed. i'd trade him at deadline next season and get a first rounder and be happy

But its not like he'll go from one of the fastest players in the league to one of the slowest, in 1 season. And he's also not a one trick pony.

Plus, that net front presence seems to be pretty important during the playoffs.

But its not like he'll go from one of the fastest players in the league to one of the slowest, in 1 season. And he's also not a one trick pony.

I agree with this. His speed will be crucial, especially when we have more young talent coming through. Having that speed around is going to be pretty clutch

He only needs to lose a step in order for that stretch pass to be pretty irrelevant. Front of net presence is a strength of his but that's not exactly a trait worth 6-7 x 6-7.

He'll be 29 at the start of his next contract.

He only needs to lose a step in order for that stretch pass to be pretty irrelevant. Front of net presence is a strength of his but that's not exactly a trait worth 6-7 x 6-7.

He'll be 29 at the start of his next contract.

Rarely happens in the Quinn system, anyway. AV system allowed him (and Grabner) to 'cheat' and go for it.

I already said I dont want to overpay. Even 6x6 (Lucic) seems a bit scary.

Kreider is a 50 point player. He gets 5m, period. If he were putting up 40 goals and 10 assists it would be a different story, but he's not. If he doesn't want 5m, he can go get it in Edmonton.

I love Kreider but he's a complimentary player.

Word.

^ThirtyOne is making a whole lot of sense. With Kreider its always "if..." and he has not been the scoring machine we all hoped he would turn into. I would say that he's been a better player post-health scare, but still not the elite guy. Gorton has to work him hard and get as favorable of a deal out of him as possible in order to give him that 7-year deal. 6 would be better still, but at what rate? IDK guys, speed is such an asset in today's game that I think we need a way to sign him.

Those might be similar players (when they signed those contracts) after Kreider loses his speed. So those are good comparisons for his following contract.
Let's not act like he uses his speed enough to be a difference maker.

Kreider has never been an elite level offensive player. He has wonderful speed and size, great strength and he’s a fitness but. But he’s about an average shooter. And he’s exceedingly streaky.

I’d be curious to see what he might be like playing with a truly elite level centerman. Not a knock against Zib, who had a career year this season. But he needs to do that again to really vault himself into the kind of company I’m talking about.

Imagine Kreider playing with someone like MacKinnon or McDavid. A guy who can really carry and distribute the puck and create space. And the speed would actually be a match

Personally if I were Sakic, I’d seriously be taking a long look at Kreider. That’s a one line team out there. Add Kreider and a center to play behind MacKinnon, then that team looks nice. They could put Kreider and MacKinnon together and move Landeskog or Rantanen down.

That would look nice for them

Kreider's issue is not his center. He has stone hands. He would be a 2nd liner on most good teams.

I don’t feel it’s his center either.

You’re right about his hands and his shot is not anything to lift you out of your seat

I’m just curious about him being matched with a center that can match his speed.

Oilers have had a very hard time getting their hands on wings to keep up with McDavid. That would be intriguing