• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jim Dolan Breaks His Silence: What Rangers Need in Next Coach

Phil

?We?re looking for someone who can develop players and develop a team,? Garden executive chairman Jim Dolan told The Post during a conversation at his MSG office on Wednesday. ?We want someone who is going to be able to work with young players ? all of our players, really ? so that they and we improve from one stage of the season to the next and we?re better at the end of the year than at the beginning.

?We need a coach who is going to be able to coordinate with the assistants and the training staff in putting a program in place. He?s going to have to be able to delegate authority in identifying deficiencies and fixing them. Scolding a player doesn?t fix the problem. He can?t try to do everything by himself. The job is just too big.?

?I think Alain was a great coach, but a great coach for a developed team,? Dolan said. ?Even though he probably didn?t mean to, he sort of affirmed that himself when he talked after the last game about how he didn?t have the players this year.

?He was probably correct, but the next coach is going to have to be able to take the players we have, the young guys we have, and get them to the next level. I liked what I saw in the young guys and so did the staff.

?The guy we hire has to be a developmental coach, I can?t stress that enough.?

?And I know we need that one great player who can make a difference. We?ve identified some who might become available, and if they do, we want to be in position where we?re able to get them. We?re building a lot of data and analytics into our decision-making. And it?s important for the new coach to embrace that.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/18/rangers-owner-reveals-what-he-wants-in-the-next-coach/

I'll post this over here, from other thread.

Excited new coach will be a developmental guy and embrace analytics. That's good, we are getting modern. His quotes certainly fit Keefe, Sturm and Montgomery.

Wonder who is that strong leader in the locker room? Obviously no one on the team currently, unless he means Hank. Are we looking to make a bargain trade for a cap casualty who is still a tough leader, but no longer in his prime? Is it JT? Doesn't sound like it, but maybe. Kovy to lead the Russia parade? :confused:

And who is that one great player that may come available? Was hoping it would be Marner/Nylander, but Toronto may figure out how to hold both. Plus, we no longer have the ammo (McD) needed for Toronto. Who else will be in cap hell? RNH is no longer necessary. The Jets have Trouba, but he is not a "special player".

I'll post this over here, from other thread.

Excited new coach will be a developmental guy and embrace analytics. That's good, we are getting modern. His quotes certainly fit Keefe, Sturm and Montgomery.

Wonder who is that strong leader in the locker room? Obviously no one on the team currently, unless he means Hank. Are we looking to make a bargain trade for a cap casualty who is still a tough leader, but no longer in his prime? Is it JT? Doesn't sound like it, but maybe. Kovy to lead the Russia parade? :confused:

And who is that one great player that may come available? Was hoping it would be Marner/Nylander, but Toronto may figure out how to hold both. Plus, we no longer have the ammo (McD) needed for Toronto. Who else will be in cap hell? RNH is no longer necessary. The Jets have Trouba, but he is not a "special player".

You need to let go of this whole Marco Sturm thing

Because you’re the only one talking about it, I haven’t seen him suggested at all elsewhere.

If you said his next job should be an NHL asst or HC in the AHL, then he shoots for HC, I'd understand.

As far as no one talking about it, our local beats blow. Most fans are clueless about rookie coaches. There's an article in the SF Chronicle that starts,

"What the German men’s hockey team is accomplishing at the Winter Olympics just might get a popular ex-Shark a shot in the NHL." It continues, "“That’s my goal — to go back,” Sturm said. “I loved living over there, and in hockey, there is nothing better than the NHL.” Sturm just might be the most “American-ized” European coaching candidate.

NBC has an article a couple of months ago entitled, "Marco Sturm could Parlay Olympic Success into NHL Coaching Job." Talks about how he installed a system that fit the players, how highly respected he is with his team and those involved in the program. He is highly thought of by former NHLers and Team Canada players. Also talks about his "scads" of NHL contacts and other good qualities.

There are also articles discussing his eye for talent, his mgmt and leadership qualities and that he likes to develop young players. And is good at it.

I'll try to be tempered about mentioning it again. I also like and mentioned Keefe, Montgomery, Granato, Sacco. I'd bring all 5 in for interviews as well as Eakins, maybe Quinn. The more of these guys they bring in, the better. Good field of fresh candidates that may be ready. One or two might be the next great coach.

Vodka you're right, he is probably a longshot. The Rangers are waiting for the Marlies season to end. Keefe leads them to the Calder then takes the reins of the Rangers. Ruff becomes special asst to the HC. Keefe, Gorton and staff lead the search for his 2 other assistants.

Reading the tea leaves, between McKenzie, Friedman, Brooks, and now Dolan, this screams Keefe IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Seems like it's pretty much your prior summation of the guy, Phil. I have high hopes this guy's a good fit for us. I have really good vibes about it too. God knows we can't do much worse than what we had!!! :)

I'm all for the youth movement. I keep telling myself it's going to take a little while and I'm cool with that. I just wanna do it right this time and not shortcut the process. Thing is, when I see guys like Tavares, Karlsson and Kovalchuk come up, the GM in me says...fuck yeah baby....let's get 'em! :rofl:

I know....I know.... Axl Rose said it best, my brother: "Just a little Patience....."

I really want an ass kickin' coach though, and after reading up on Keefe, I have to say I like everything I've read so far....He seems to be a very good fit from most reports I've read on him. Lord knows I couldn't even pick him out in a Police lineup, but I'm riding with you on this one, my man!!! =)

Huh?

I think he was tied to the Danton thing in some way. Also if I remember right when they won the cup he refused to shake the commissioners hand or some thing like that. I read a few years ago he said he regretted it and wouldn't do it again. I think he was a wiseass a hundred years ago growing up. Like well almost everybody else that age.

I think he was tied to the Danton thing in some way. Also if I remember right when they won the cup he refused to shake the commissioners hand or some thing like that. I read a few years ago he said he regretted it and wouldn't do it again. I think he was a wiseass a hundred years ago growing up. Like well almost everybody else that age.

Yeah it was Danton. I posted an in-depth article about it a bit ago. Huh? Here it is again.

Wow. Surprised it wasn't mentioned here considering the Keefe-lovefest.

I'd really prefer a coach with an NCAA background in the role. Just seems like way more of a teaching league.

On the other hand, we have an AHL roster so...

Archived