• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

John Tavares Contract Extension Talks

https://www.sny.tv/islanders/news/islanders-preparing-extension-pitch-for-tavares/226406432

The Islanders are preparing their extension pitch for team captain John Tavares, reports Elliotte Friedman.

Friedman says Tavares' preference remains to stay with the Islanders, but points out that the position the Isles are in competitvely, their arena situation, and the hiring of Doug Weight are all factors.

If Tavares opts to test the open market, Friedman lists the Red Wings, Canadiens, Sharks, Lightning, and Maple Leafs as possible suitors.

They should just trade him. They're so far away from contending there's really no point in having him on the team.

It's an optics issue. Trading him signals a massive rebuild to fans who are already strained and not showing up to games in Brooklyn. They almost have to re-sign him to appear like they're not on the precipice of crumbling.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

It's an optics issue. Trading him signals a massive rebuild to fans who are already strained and not showing up to games in Brooklyn. They almost have to re-sign him to appear like they're not on the precipice of crumbling.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If nobody is going to the games anyways then who cares about the optics?

It's easier to sell a full rebuild than it is a half-assed playoff team.

The optics still matter. You're talking about the difference between a 9mm gunshot wound and a shotgun. The size can dramatically affect the outcome.

Right now they're dealing with a small caliber wound that they can arguably fix with a new arena deal (Bellmont) and a long-term extension for Tavares coupled with the right long-term vision for the team (more Ho-Sang less Gionta type stuff). If either of the first two fall through the floor, so do their hopes as a franchise. We'll be talking relocation at some point at the rate they're going given the contentious relationship they have with Barclays who they are having a pretty ugly public divorce with.

• 1 month later...

If I'm the Isles, McDavid isn't even in the discussion for Tavares' contract. The guy is 20.

I can't, for the life of me, justify giving more than $10m to a skater. Both Kane and Toews are getting too much, imo. Tavares is probably better than both of them, but there's no reason to turn him into Shane Doan and never win anything.

If I'm the Isles, McDavid isn't even in the discussion for Tavares' contract. The guy is 20.

I can't, for the life of me, justify giving more than $10m to a skater. Both Kane and Toews are getting too much, imo. Tavares is probably better than both of them, but there's no reason to turn him into Shane Doan and never win anything.

Agreed. He signed 5 years ago, but how pissed is Crosby right now? I'd be willing to go in the $9.5 million range for 8 years (takes him to 35) for Tavares if he gets back to a point per game this year. Kane, yea may be a little high, but he's been over a point per game for the last 5 years. Toews on the other hand, terrible deal. $10.5 million a year and hasn't broken 60 points the last 2 years. He may have all the intangibles, but they aren't making up the gap.

Suspect he would love to fly away to the Leafs but long-term they're gonna have to reupp Matthews.

But the Isles are gonna have a very hard time getting any players much less fans take them seriously without paying Tavares. 27 is not that old at all. And you aren't going to find talent like that on the open market anyway. How do you market a team no matter where you play when you won't sign your own superstar?

Archived