• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Worlds Largest Ice Sports Facility Coming To The Bronx

Blue Heaven

Looks like the Bronx will be the place to go play hockey

http://gothamist.com/2013/04/23/kingsbridge_armory_will_be_worlds_l.php#photo-1

After years of thwarted plans, there's a deal in place for the beautiful Kingsbridge Armory in the Bronx. Mayor Bloomberg's office added this to his schedule today: "9:00 AM Announces Plans to Transform Kingsbridge Armory in the Bronx Into World?s Largest Indoor Ice Facility."

Mayors office just tweeted they have an agreement

The News reported, "The proposed ice sports center would include nine hockey rinks, a 5,000-seat arena and a 50,000-square-foot community space that would be open to area groups and an education program for local youth."

Since the Isles are gonna be in Brooklyn, maybe the Devils can move to the Bronx, at least they may sell out.

If they have some beginner leagues with favorable times, I'd take the 15 minute drive from Queens. League at World Ice sucks, its 1 league with like 5 teams, w/ games at like 10 PM.

I don't understand why they don't make it a 40,000 sqft space and a 9k-ish seat arena. Get an AHL team in the boogie down.

NYC costs twice as much, so if they can fill 5k seats, they'll still be the most profitable AHL team.

But yeah...

I don't understand why they don't make it a 40,000 sqft space and a 9k-ish seat arena. Get an AHL team in the boogie down.

Becaus eggs city knows they are gonna have a rough time filling Barclays for the Islanders and didnt want to take anymore than they had to from them.

Looks like the Bronx will be the place to go play hockey

http://gothamist.com/2013/04/23/kingsbridge_armory_will_be_worlds_l.php#photo-1

Mayors office just tweeted they have an agreement

For the record, I consider the conversion of Red Bank Armory to a hockey arena in Red Bank, NJ a resounding success. The ice quality is great, the facilities are great, etc. It's my favorite place to play locally. Hopefully Kingsbridge Armory comes out similarly.

That's probably the smartest place to put it. :rolleyes:

There are a lot of youth teams from the outskirts of the Bronx. Pelham, Mamaroneck, White Plains, New Ro, Yonkers, etc ... all have youth programs. They'll run programs like the Devils do out of AmeriHealth (Hockey in Newark). It'll probably be great for the borough.

For the record, I consider the conversion of Red Bank Armory to a hockey arena in Red Bank, NJ a resounding success. The ice quality is great, the facilities are great, etc. It's my favorite place to play locally. Hopefully Kingsbridge Armory comes out similarly.

That's a great building, but they only have 1 rink + the 1/3 rink in the back for training. The biggest place I've seen is the New England Sports Center in Marlborough. They have 6 rinks and it's huge. This place will probably dwarf it. And fwiw, the Generals are sand baggers. Tell them to get a tier 1 charter and stop chirpin like they're the bomb.

Two celebrity athletes are part of a project to turn an empty New York City armory into a massive ice sports center.

The plans include former New York Rangers captain Mark Messier, a Stanley Cup winner, and figure skater Sarah Hughes, who won an Olympic gold medal in 2002.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg detailed the plans Tuesday for the Kingsbridge Armory in the Bronx.

The project is to include nine rinks on two levels. One rink would be designed to host hockey tournaments and ice shows.

The city plans to lease the building to a private development group that involves Messier and Hughes.

Construction is expected to start next year with $275 million in private money.

Officials say it could draw 2 million visitors a year.

http://news.yahoo.com/messier-hughes-join-project-ny-185816990.html

That's a great building, but they only have 1 rink + the 1/3 rink in the back for training. The biggest place I've seen is the New England Sports Center in Marlborough. They have 6 rinks and it's huge. This place will probably dwarf it. And fwiw, the Generals are sand baggers. Tell them to get a tier 1 charter and stop chirpin like they're the bomb.

:repped: Damn right buddy lol.

we have tourneys there. awesome facility

i dont know yet, our organization didnt post any tourneys yet. they really suck at letting people know well in advance. i know we have two coming up but not sure when and where. also, they cancelled last weekend's tourney for us in Marlborough like 3 days before. Aviator is very unorganized

i dont know yet, our organization didnt post any tourneys yet. they really suck at letting people know well in advance. i know we have two coming up but not sure when and where. also, they cancelled last weekend's tourney for us in Marlborough like 3 days before. Aviator is very unorganized

Sometimes a tourny gets canceled because they don't have enough teams that entered and the host will hang on until the last minute.

Archived