• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth Players Winter Classic Raises Money For Sandy Relief

Mike

Great job by these kids and the people who did this.

But....what in the HELL are they doing having mite "tier1" hockey teams!!!!!!

There should never be a tryout or selection process until at least squirts.

And no Tier 1 until Bantams!

If they don't play up, they're forced to play ADM cross ice. Michael played vs squirts when he was a mite too. It's a way to get around the system.

But they are SUPPOSE to play the ADM cross ice system.

Well Michael's birth year was going into their 3rd mite year and just finished 2 years of playing full ice. None of the parents on the top team wanted the kids playing cross ice games where they don't keep score, have standings or playoffs after 2 years of doing all of the above. Especially after paying all that money. These kids have been playing cross ice from atoms and still do so during most practices. A lot of these teams are good enough to play up. We finished 16-2-2 in league play and lost in the finals to kids 2 years older than us. The ADM isn't for everyone. Our building has it but they also have ways around for the kids that could play up. A lot of organizations circumvent it if they have the capability talent wise and the volume of kids to still hold the ADM program.

You do realize that every single person in USA hockey would disagree with that ;)

Reason for the ADM is this.....kids shouldn't even be thinking off sides, spreading the ice, etc, etc at the Mite level.

It should be all small area fundemental skill aquisition.

It takes 10 ice hockey games to equate the skill aquisition gained in one hockey practice....and that is at the Squirt level.

With mites it takes even more.

Fact is that at that age, they can't cover the ice well enough as a group to be activated like they do in 1/2 ice.

And worse thent that, (something we have dealth with)....NO mite level player (ages 6-8)....should ever, ever be "selected" or have to go through that process.

Even at the Squirt level you have to be very carefull with that.

And honestly, I can gurantee you...that the full ice was for the coach's and parents.

Cause 6 and 7 year old kids could care less, they just want to be on the ice.

If for some reason the ADM wasn't working for the kids, then the coaches didn't have a grasp of how it's suppose to be run.

You do realize that every single person in USA hockey would disagree with that ;)

Reason for the ADM is this.....kids shouldn't even be thinking off sides, spreading the ice, etc, etc at the Mite level.

It should be all small area fundemental skill aquisition.

It takes 10 ice hockey games to equate the skill aquisition gained in one hockey practice....and that is at the Squirt level.

With mites it takes even more.

Fact is that at that age, they can't cover the ice well enough as a group to be activated like they do in 1/2 ice.

And worse thent that, (something we have dealth with)....NO mite level player (ages 6-8)....should ever, ever be "selected" or have to go through that process.

Even at the Squirt level you have to be very carefull with that.

And honestly, I can gurantee you...that the full ice was for the coach's and parents.

Cause 6 and 7 year old kids could care less, they just want to be on the ice.

If for some reason the ADM wasn't working for the kids, then the coaches didn't have a grasp of how it's suppose to be run.

Where was the ADM for the past 80 years then? It was only made mandatory 3 seasons ago. The selection process could be rough but the kids and parents know who is going where before the tryouts are held. If your kid can't skate, you know where they're going to end up ... in the ADM program. You saw video footage of Michael's team before last season started. Those kids were 4 months removed from Mite hockey. You even said yourself how good they were. Now you tell me, could those kids play or not? Did they belong playing cross ice 4 months prior to the game highlights you saw? Be honest.

Where was the ADM for the past 80 years then? It was only made mandatory 3 seasons ago. The selection process could be rough but the kids and parents know who is going where before the tryouts are held. If your kid can't skate, you know where they're going to end up ... in the ADM program. You saw video footage of Michael's team before last season started. Those kids were 4 months removed from Mite hockey. You even said yourself how good they were. Now you tell me, could those kids play or not? Did they belong playing cross ice 4 months prior to the game highlights you saw? Be honest.

I did say they were good, but the same as our mite/squirt players.

And as you know, there are Bantam AAA teams that utlilize small area games for practices, and can get a ton out of it.

Like I said before, these games are for the parents, development and skill are aquired during practice.

There is a reason USA, Canadian hockey, are following the European method of development now.

As soon as you start playing full ice games you start hampering certain cognitive skill aquisition, and skill sets.

All of a sudden you are trying to spread the ice, worry about breakouts, assignments, etc.

And NO 6-8 year olds should be thinking about that stuff yet.....I don't care if they are the best developed kids in the world.

Once again, this isn't me talking, this is the whole system agreeing on this.

And I get on step and hold coach's accountable when they screw up developement.

We aren't trying to develop the best Squit teams, Pee Wee teams, etc....

We are trying to build the foundation fo the best 16-19 year olds.

Everything before that is just fun and skill developement.

I did say they were good, but the same as our mite/squirt players.

And as you know, there are Bantam AAA teams that utlilize small area games for practices, and can get a ton out of it.

Like I said before, these games are for the parents, development and skill are aquired during practice.

There is a reason USA, Canadian hockey, are following the European method of development now.

As soon as you start playing full ice games you start hampering certain cognitive skill aquisition, and skill sets.

All of a sudden you are trying to spread the ice, worry about breakouts, assignments, etc.

And NO 6-8 year olds should be thinking about that stuff yet.....I don't care if they are the best developed kids in the world.

Once again, this isn't me talking, this is the whole system agreeing on this.

And I get on step and hold coach's accountable when they screw up developement.

We aren't trying to develop the best Squit teams, Pee Wee teams, etc....

We are trying to build the foundation fo the best 16-19 year olds.

Everything before that is just fun and skill developement.

Every level/teams play small area games in practice in our organization. The ADM program is pretty big in our building. There's no question it's a big help to any player's development. And as a goalie parent, it's more work that my kid would be getting but I think it's all a matter of opinion. Lets face it, not everyone (coaches and players included) agrees with everything USA hockey does. Some people hate that they pushed the hitting up to the Bantam level, some people like it. It's just like anything else.

I think it's fantastic that the players have to walk up a flight of stairs with their gear on in order to get on the ice.

hahaha do the younger kids still play at superior? Playing in that place is like traveling back in time 50 years. I know they moved their top team to the brand new dix hills facility which is really nice, except the ice isn't that great. Go figure brand new facility, soft ice.

hahaha do the younger kids still play at superior? Playing in that place is like traveling back in time 50 years. I know they moved their top team to the brand new dix hills facility which is really nice, except the ice isn't that great. Go figure brand new facility, soft ice.

All of the teams use both rinks as far as I know. There are quite a few organizations that use 2 home buildings. The Royals probably have as many teams as the Avalanche do in Tier 1 and 2.

All of the teams use both rinks as far as I know. There are quite a few organizations that use 2 home buildings. The Royals probably have as many teams as the Avalanche do in Tier 1 and 2.

Ah didn't know that. I know they built the Junior B team a really nice facility in the new rink, including an amazing locker room. The junior b team probably draws a bigger crowd on a saturday night than the Islanders or Devils draw during the week.

Ah didn't know that. I know they built the Junior B team a really nice facility in the new rink, including an amazing locker room. The junior b team probably draws a bigger crowd on a saturday night than the Islanders or Devils draw during the week.

hahahahahhaha ... you're probably right.

Those kids could suit up on my buddies beer league team with those 3rd jerseys....... and probably beat half the guys on the opposing teams.

The Royals and Avs have good programs. They both ice a triple A team at practically every age level and the tier 2 teams still compete well with the programs that sandbag ... I mean still compete well with the programs that are afraid to play triple A because they want to dominate at a lower level rather than compete and be mediocre ... I mean still compete well with programs that don't have triple A teams.

Archived