• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Random Hockey Qs

There are questions about the game some of us have that are just ignorance of the rules, strategy misunderstandings or something else entirely. BSBH is loaded with good hockey minds. Explain it to us like

were are 5 years old. Please. 

• Applause 1

To get things started…

1. Who is making the decision to toss guys from the face-off?  Why? I get the need to have your stick on the ice and skates aligned with the lines but what else matters?

2. Gain the red line before a shoot-in. Seems like the linesman are quite lenient and allow dump-ins short of gaining the territory first. 

3. Round 2 doesn’t start until all of Round 1 decided. Right? (And what happened to the short lived best of 5 series for Round 1 from a number of years ago? Do we like that?)

4. Could somebody like Bill Fairburn come down the wing in today’s game and score from the dot? Goalies that much better?

5. Why can't they make goalie gloves smaller?

6. Why can't the NYR win the cup?

7. Why is Colton Orr a NYR alumni when he only played for the Rangers 3 seasons but 6 seasons for Toronto?  Del Zotto played 4.5 seasons with NYR and 8.5 seasons with other teams? 

8. Why men pee standing up?  It is a lot more safer to pee sitting down

13 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

To get things started…

1. Who is making the decision to toss guys from the face-off?  Why? I get the need to have your stick on the ice and skates aligned with the lines but what else matters?

2. Gain the red line before a shoot-in. Seems like the linesman are quite lenient and allow dump-ins short of gaining the territory first. 

3. Round 2 doesn’t start until all of Round 1 decided. Right? (And what happened to the short lived best of 5 series for Round 1 from a number of years ago? Do we like that?)

4. Could somebody like Bill Fairburn come down the wing in today’s game and score from the dot? Goalies that much better?

18 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

6. Why can't the NYR win the cup?

7. Why is Colton Orr a NYR alumni when he only played for the Rangers 3 seasons but 6 seasons for Toronto?  Del Zotto played 4.5 seasons with NYR and 8.5 seasons with other teams? 

8. Why men pee standing up?  It is a lot more safer to pee sitting down

Answers:

1. The linesman dropping the puck makes the call.  The "why" part is a few reasons; think like a "false start" in football, for the most part.  But the visiting team has to put his stick on the ice first, followed by the home team. Both have to come to a stop and wait for the drop. Both must have their skates square and even. All their teammates must be on the correct side of the circle and motionless.

2. They are lenient and not consistent with that call.  Sometimes they call icing and other times they let it slide...nothing new under the sun with that call.  It's been like that for eons!

3. Yes...actually Round 2 can't start until the teams clinch their Round 1 series anyway.  Best of 5 went away when the NHL figured out they make more $$$ on more games played.  I remember 2 out of 3, then 3 out of 5, before the last 2 rounds were 4 out of 7.

4. Probably not anymore, Big Guy.  The days of beating a goalie that can see a puck from over 20 feet out is really a rarity these days.  Back in the day, the goalie pads, and equipment was smaller...as were most of the goalies.  Now you have goalies in there that are 6' 7" and take up 1/2 of the net.  They are "better" in a sense, that the training, knowledge and scouting is much improved from the old days of Gump, Eddie and Rogie.

5. They can....

6. They will...

7. They are...

8. It is...

😃

• Thanks 1

Thx @Ozzy - there are many times I miss the face off infraction and wonder WTF just happened?

Red line should be consistent and as seriously enforced as off-sides. How often does it appear that one more stride would result in an entertaining collision at center ice? Small point but the integrity of the game is sullied by this haphazard tradition. 

• Cheers 1

Linemates staying motionless is one of the biggest reasons I think guys get tossed out of faceoffs. I also think it's one of the "rules" that gets overlooked the most. We see guys jostling for position all the time on draws. 

One question I have, which is sort of related: (I haven't heard this in a while, so maybe I'm making it up, but...) I used to hear commentators talk about intentionally getting kicked out of the draw. Why would someone want to get intentionally kicked from the draw? (Or am I making that shit up?)

1 minute ago, phillyb said:

Linemates staying motionless is one of the biggest reasons I think guys get tossed out of faceoffs. I also think it's one of the "rules" that gets overlooked the most. We see guys jostling for position all the time on draws. 

One question I have, which is sort of related: (I haven't heard this in a while, so maybe I'm making it up, but...) I used to hear commentators talk about intentionally getting kicked out of the draw. Why would someone want to get intentionally kicked from the draw? (Or am I making that shit up?)

cause linesmen are trigger happy to throw someone out, so the team would put a winger to get tossed.  Linesmen would almost never toss two players from the same team.  i've only seen it done twice

4 minutes ago, phillyb said:

I'm taking a stab, Philly...but I think what could be, is that if a team needed a line change badly, and to get a little bit of extra breather, they'd have a guy take the draw and get tossed for a few extra seconds of a rest.

There's also a rule where you cannot touch the puck with your hands upon the drop of the puck.  It's actually a 2 minute penalty for a "Faceoff violation".  I think I saw that once this season.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Answers:

1. The linesman dropping the puck makes the call.  The "why" part is a few reasons; think like a "false start" in football, for the most part.  But the visiting team has to put his stick on the ice first, followed by the home team. Both have to come to a stop and wait for the drop. Both must have their skates square and even. All their teammates must be on the correct side of the circle and motionless.

2. They are lenient and not consistent with that call.  Sometimes they call icing and other times they let it slide...nothing new under the sun with that call.  It's been like that for eons!

3. Yes...actually Round 2 can't start until the teams clinch their Round 1 series anyway.  Best of 5 went away when the NHL figured out they make more $$$ on more games played.  I remember 2 out of 3, then 3 out of 5, before the last 2 rounds were 4 out of 7.

4. Probably not anymore, Big Guy.  The days of beating a goalie that can see a puck from over 20 feet out is really a rarity these days.  Back in the day, the goalie pads, and equipment was smaller...as were most of the goalies.  Now you have goalies in there that are 6' 7" and take up 1/2 of the net.  They are "better" in a sense, that the training, knowledge and scouting is much improved from the old days of Gump, Eddie and Rogie.

5. They can....

6. They will...

7. They are...

8. It is...

😃

the other linesman is able to throw a player out of the faceoff if he sees early movement into the circle from a teammate

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Should pucks be allowed to be kicked in for goals? Or does it add too much danger if a goalie or player is sprawled on the ice near a loose puck? 

Last thing we need is people swinging the sharp blades on their feet 

3 minutes ago, Abe Froman said:

How do players know it's a commercial break after a game stoppage?

Certain times on the clock. Someone with more experience will chime in on this, but it's something like first faceoff that's not icing after the 14m mark, first faceoff that's not icing after the 6m mark, and possibly some other one. Something like that. 

How does the side of the faceoff get determined when the goalie freezes the puck?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Should pucks be allowed to be kicked in for goals? Or does it add too much danger if a goalie or player is sprawled on the ice near a loose puck? 

no and I still think purposely redirecting with skate shouldn’t be a goal 

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

There's also a rule where you cannot touch the puck with your hands upon the drop of the puck.  It's actually a 2 minute penalty for a "Faceoff violation".  I think I saw that once this season.

It just happened in the Dallas - Vegas game. 😀

• LMFAO 2

1 hour ago, phillyb said:

Certain times on the clock. Someone with more experience will chime in on this, but it's something like first faceoff that's not icing after the 14m mark, first faceoff that's not icing after the 6m mark, and possibly some other one. Something like that. 

How does the side of the faceoff get determined when the goalie freezes the puck?

The same side where the shot was taken. 

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

...Like, this just happened last night!!

• VINNY! 1

15 hours ago, Abe Froman said:

How do players know it's a commercial break after a game stoppage?

Most arenas have a red light that comes on at ice level near the penalty box area to indicate that this particular stoppage is a commercial break 

• Thanks 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 11:36 PM, 4EverRangerFrank said:

My earliest playoff memories are from 1991, the season the Rangers won the Presidents' Trophy.  Its been 4 rounds of best of 7 for as long as I can remember.

On 5/1/2024 at 12:23 PM, Albatrosss said:

All goalie gear was made significantly smaller coming out of the 04 or 05 or 06 lockout.  Whichever year it was.  Gloves and blockers were both made smaller.  Leg pads were only allowed to be a maximum of 11" wide throughout the entire pad.  Chest pads were no longer allowed to have raised ridges on the shoulders to help take up space.  In the years since the initial changes, there have been more reductions.  Chest pads and goal shorts were both streamlined again in the last 5-6 years.  Leg pads are still only allowed to be a max of 11" wide but now the height of each pad is specifically measured to each goalie individually based on their height and leg length.  Large thigh rises(the area of the pad above the knee) are no longer allowed, which was the craze after the initial size restrictions.  The way goalies are getting around these rules now are wearing the pad higher on their skates and allowing them to slightly ride up their leg a bit more to cover the five hole.  Its gotten to a point where there isn't that much more that can be taken away from goalie gear without sacrificing safety.  Gloves and blockers could be reduced a little more, and I think leg pads could lose a little bit more in width but that's about it.  

I will also state that most goalies have just gotten better as gear has been reduced.  Less bulk equals more range of motion.  We bitched about the loss of coverage but in the end, the smaller gear allowed us to move better.

Edited by SaveByRichter35
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Commercial breaks are first whistle after 6:00, 10:00, and 14:00, that is a non-icing whistle.  I got it down pat to run out for a pee break when I am at a game so I can get back before the face-off.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2