• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL 31 in 31: New York Rangers 2021

josh

NHL.com is providing in-depth analysis for each of its 31 teams from Nov. 16-Dec. 16. Rangers were up yesterday. I suggest reading/watching. Some good quotes from Quinn and Drury throughout.

DROP THE FUCKING PUCK!!!!

Inside look at New York Rangers

https://www.nhl.com/news/2020-21-new-york-rangers-season-preview/c-319749024?tid=290471364

The New York Rangers are confident they're entering training camp with the blueprint for how they need to look and play to be a Stanley Cup Playoff contender.

"We found that balance toward the end of last season, the last two months, from playing with a defensive conscience and also being productive offensively," Quinn said. "That's what we have to be. We found some continuity with lines and [defenseman] pairings, and that was really the first time that had happened in the last two years. I think for the first time going into training camp we have a little bit of a clearer picture of what we're going to look like."

Quinn is eyeing 19-year-old Kaapo Kakko to be the right wing with Panarin and Strome,? "No final decisions have been made, but certainly you want to start that way and hit the ground running," Quinn said.

The Rangers expect Alexis Lafreniere, the No. 1 pick in the 2020 NHL Draft, will be an impact player in his rookie season. Lafreniere is penciled in as the left wing on the third line, likely playing with 21-year-old center Filip Chytil.

"He has the whole package," Rangers assistant general manager Chris Drury said. "His skating, his sense, his shot, his passing, you name it, it's all very elite. His internal drive is exceptional."

Three questions facing New York Rangers

https://www.nhl.com/news/2020-21-rangers-breakdown-key-factors/c-319748896?tid=290471364

1. What is reasonable to expect from Alexis Lafreniere?

2. Is Kaapo Kakko ready to be a top-six forward?

3. Who will move to the left side of the defense?

Quinn said DeAngelo and Fox each would be comfortable doing it,…

The potential of rookies K'Andre Miller or Tarmo Reunanen making the team would go a long way toward solving the issue on the left side. Jack Johnson, Brendan Smith and Anthony Bitetto are also left-shot options.

New York Rangers key statistics

https://www.nhl.com/news/2020-21-rangers-numbers-stats-analysis/c-319748130?tid=290471364

1. Mika Zibanejad's goals per 60

2. Artemi Panarin's points per 60

3. SAT percentage

Despite finishing fifth in the NHL with an average of 3.33 goals per game, the Rangers were 28th in SAT percentage at 46.7 percent after being out-attempted 3,391-2,973.

Top prospects for New York Rangers

https://www.nhl.com/news/new-york-rangers-prospect-watch/c-319749018?tid=290471364

1. Alexis Lafreniere, F

The Rangers are penciling Lafreniere (6-foot-1, 193 pounds) into their top nine forwards going into training camp. The 19-year-old is living with a billet family in Connecticut, where he trains with Rangers Chris Kreider and Adam Fox, among others.

2. Igor Shesterkin, G

3. K'Andre Miller, D

"With his athleticism and his skill set, it wouldn't surprise me if he was knocking on the door to make the team or play a significant amount of [NHL] games this year," Drury said. "With that said, it is a big jump for him. We're certainly not in a position to want to rush him."

Projected NHL arrival: This season

4. Nils Lundkvist, D

Lundkvist (5-11, 187) is playing for Lulea in the Swedish Hockey League. Last season, the 20-year-old broke the SHL record for points by a junior-aged defenseman (under-20). The Rangers hope to sign Lundkvist after his SHL season ends.

5. Vitali Kravtsov, F

"He's grown, he's learning, and I think he's in a good spot, developing well this year," Drury said.

New York Rangers fantasy preview for 2020-21

https://www.nhl.com/news/2020-21-rangers-fantasy-hockey-preview-rankings/c-319748602?tid=290471364

Artemi Panarin, LW (NHL.com rank: 5) --

Panarin finished tied with David Pastrnak of the Boston Bruins for third in the NHL in scoring last season (NHL career-high 95 points in 69 games), behind Edmonton Oilers forwards Leon Draisaitl (110) and Connor McDavid (97). Panarin led the NHL in even-strength points (71), set NHL career highs with 32 goals and 63 assists, and tied his best with 24 power-play points.

Mika Zibanejad, C (18)

Igor Shesterkin, G (35)

… is one of the most valuable fantasy goalies (sixth) in NHL.com's rankings

Chris Kreider, LW (88)

Alexis Lafreniere, LW (94) --

Lafreniere has a realistic chance to score at least 60 points as a rookie if he plays in the top six and/or on the first power play with exposure to Zibanejad and/or Panarin.

Tony DeAngelo (114) and Adam Fox (154), D

Other players to consider in late rounds or off waiver wire: Ryan Strome, C/RW (166); Pavel Buchnevich, RW (167); Alexandar Georgiev, G (172); Jacob Trouba, D (173); Kaapo Kakko, RW (198)
  • Like 1

"Quinn is eyeing 19-year-old Kaapo Kakko to be the right wing with Panarin and Strome,… "No final decisions have been made, but certainly you want to start that way and hit the ground running," Quinn said."

I've read through a bunch of this, but I really think this is the most important takeaway from everything.

Feels like they really want to light a fire under Kakko.

If Kaako can't get excited about the possibilities of playing with Zib and Panarin, then he is a lost soul. lol Hopefully he's improved on his skating, and, well, everything else. I also think the presence of Laf will help tremendously.

One gets quite excited reading all of this positive news. [emoji16]

Indeed. Let's just hope there's a season!

If Kaako can't get excited about the possibilities of playing with Zib and Panarin, then he is a lost soul. lol Hopefully he's improved on his skating, and, well, everything else. I also think the presence of Laf will help tremendously.

Kakko looked his best during the playoffs, as he finally had some time off. The 2 years prior to getting drafted is quite taxing on the kids, regardless of how young they are. This break should be great for both of them.

Kakko looked his best during the playoffs, as he finally had some time off. The 2 years prior to getting drafted is quite taxing on the kids, regardless of how young they are. This break should be great for both of them.

Yes. He played A LOT of hockey for sure. Playoffs Kaako is much closer to the Kaako we'll be getting. Plus, there being a bit less pressure on him because of Laf will really help, I think. Now, we just need to hope there is a season. Not just because of the Rangers, but I fear for the future of the sport here if it's canceled.