• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

STL Re-Sign Pavel Buchnevich to 4-Year/$23.2M Extension; $5.8M AAV

Phil

Fair deal, but also bullet dodged. Assuming the trade and lack of interest around the league didn't soften his ask, that contract on the Rangers becomes troublesome as soon as next year, while restricting ice time for the two young RW behind him.

We couldn't have afforded that, but given his production and the modest size and term of this contract, there should have been enough teams that could to get us a better yield on trading him. Of course, he was being shopped for a year and a half, so the takers probably just weren't there.

Nope. Not without freezing out one of Kakko or Kravtsov out of the top-six forever.

Fair deal, but also bullet dodged. Assuming the trade and lack of interest around the league didn't soften his ask, that contract on the Rangers becomes troublesome as soon as next year, while restricting ice time for the two young RW behind him.

Bingo...again!!

Glad for Buch! He's a good player and I wish him only the best.

...Unfortunately I think Buch was a luxury we couldn't afford to have anymore.

We couldn't have afforded that, but given his production and the modest size and term of this contract, there should have been enough teams that could to get us a better yield on trading him. Of course, he was being shopped for a year and a half, so the takers probably just weren't there.

true, good point. I am happy the young wingers will have a chance. Just think we are going to miss him and it's not like he was asking for HUGE money

Well, we could have afforded that on a one year deal or with the idea to trade him once his contract was determined like sign and trade. Pretty fair contract for what he brings but won’t lose sleep over our return for him. Good for Buch and good for him the Blues to get him a bit cheaper than expected.

Well, we could have afforded that on a one year deal or with the idea to trade him once his contract was determined like sign and trade. Pretty fair contract for what he brings but won’t lose sleep over our return for him. Good for Buch and good for him the Blues to get him a bit cheaper than expected.

Actually the more time that's gone by on this deal, the more I'm thinking it was a pretty good "Hockey trade" for both teams, K. I think Blais will be a solid keeper here for a while, and his style is going to be welcome sight on MSG ice. The second rounder is a nice little stash away as well. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Yup, and this is the bigger problem, IMO. The moment you agree to this, you've frozen out one of Kravtsov or Kakko from a long-term future in New York. I know the goal of front offices is to win Cups, but the primary goal of most players is earning potential, and that potential falls through the floor if you're locked into a third-line (or fourth-line) role, miles from either power play unit.

There was no way Buch was going to see past this season anyway. Trouba and Kreider's contracts make it all the more difficult on top of the ones to come for our younger players as you all mentioned. I wish they could have at least gotten another pick or player in the deal, but it is what it is.

Wonder what the St. Louis magnet market is like.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Pretty good for a Midwest state. Plus a bunch of other states (not landmarks) that are close.

I feel like we’ve had multiple St. Louis magnets on our fridge throughout the years.