• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Seth Jones To Test Free Agency In 2022

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reported Saturday that Jones had informed the Blue Jackets in recent days that he was planning to test free agency in 2022. He has one season remaining on his contract with Columbus.

Sources have told The Athletic that the Blue Jackets, barring a change of heart by Jones, are likely to trade Jones this summer, most likely near the NHL Draft in late July.

https://theathletic.com/2622422/2021/05/30/change-of-plans-blue-jackets-likely-to-trade-seth-jones-without-contract-extension/

Another BJs star wants to leave

Edmonton should make a run for him. They could use a D man.

Is Columbus such a small-time city that they really can't keep stars there due to lifestyle, or is it something with the organization? Panarin, Jones, PLD, Bobrovsky off the top of my head. Gotta be something more beneath the surface, right?

Everything.

Small city, small market, no history of winning, no history of commitment to winning, Torts.

I do find it curious that players are so repelled by Columbus. Is the opera much better in St. Louis or Detroit? Most NHL cities are not big time cultural meccas. Is Pittsburgh a media center?

All those teams have shown a willingness and a commitment to win.

Guys want to know the organization will go all in if the team has a chance. Columbus hasn’t shown that.

That team a few years ago was competitive. Instead, they waited until it was over and half assed a trade deadline

Walking down the streets in at Louis vs walking down the street in Columbus in game day is a big difference. St. Louis is all St. Louis. In Columbus, they’ll talk about your Rangers hat you’re wearing

I don’t think it has much to do with the city. I was actually somewhat impressed by it when I visited once for a Ranger game. Obviously that’s just one persons opinion. But I was pleasantly surprised.

If I had to guess, it’s more or less the reputation of the organization not being a winning one. In 20 years, this team hasn’t gone beyond the second round of the playoffs. And they’ve only gotten to that point, what? Twice? Build a winning culture and you can make any city seem like a desirable destination (ex: Pittsburgh).

I don’t think it has much to do with the city. I was actually somewhat impressed by it when I visited once for a Ranger game. Obviously that’s just one persons opinion. But I was pleasantly surprised.

If I had to guess, it’s more or less the reputation of the organization not being a winning one. In 20 years, this team hasn’t gone beyond the second round of the playoffs. And they’ve only gotten to that point, what? Twice? Build a winning culture and you can make any city seem like a desirable destination (ex: Pittsburgh).

Take crosby away from shittsburgh and no one would want to play there.

Take crosby away from shittsburgh and no one would want to play there.

Probably, yeah. It's incredibly easy to make the argument he literally saved hockey in Pittsburgh. Remember Jim Balsille?