Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazon Buys Naming Rights to Seattle's NHL Arena; Will Be Called Climate Pledge Arena

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I know, right? I, for one, can't wait to see the Rangers take the ice at "Preparation H Arena."
    I get it that there's no news to talk about but getting upset about an arena advertisement is early 2000s energy. It's just flat out bad business not to have a company pay you millions of dollars to name your arena. We also live in a world where Little Caesars Pizza owns naming rights and so does Tony the Tiger (a fictional cereal character). "Climate Pledge" seems fairly tame compared to the overt advertising we see pretty much everywhere else.
    GORTON 2020

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I get it that there's no news to talk about but getting upset about an arena advertisement is early 2000s energy. It's just flat out bad business not to have a company pay you millions of dollars to name your arena. We also live in a world where Little Caesars Pizza owns naming rights and so does Tony the Tiger (a fictional cereal character). "Climate Pledge" seems fairly tame compared to the overt advertising we see pretty much everywhere else.
    I'm not upset at all. I thank them for going with such a silly name. I think it's hilarious.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Isn't this just a flaccid attempt at calming down the locals?
    Quite a bit of contention around Amazon and their presence in the city from what I can gather.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Isn't this just a flaccid attempt at calming down the locals?
    Quite a bit of contention around Amazon and their presence in the city from what I can gather.
    idk how much money they spent on the naming rights but maybe they should have used that money to, idk, actually address climate change? or use it towards their own practices as a company considering they are among the worlds biggest polluters.

they do donate a bunch of money towards addressing climate change. But then literally keep polluting the world. Considering they are such a shitty company, I will never believe its anything more than PR for them

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    idk how much money they spent on the naming rights but maybe they should have used that money to, idk, actually address climate change? or use it towards their own practices as a company considering they are among the worlds biggest polluters.

they do donate a bunch of money towards addressing climate change. But then literally keep polluting the world. Considering they are such a shitty company, I will never believe its anything more than PR for them
    how is amazon one of the biggest polluters?

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    how is amazon one of the biggest polluters?
    https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...-analysis-cbs/
    SEATTLE (CBS News) — Amazon shareholders this week defeated a proposal to wean the company off fossil fuels. But the proposal raised a long-debated question: How much climate pollution does Amazon create, anyway?

Unlike most of its peers, Amazon keeps its carbon footprint figures hidden. In February, the company promised to disclose its carbon emissions figures this year although it declined last week to elaborate on its timeline to CBS News.

Environmental groups, however, say Amazon’s impact is significant, thanks to the company’s enormous size and complexity. Amazon is the fifth-largest U.S. company, with significant operations in retail, logistics, entertainment and cloud computing — which, activists say, is Amazon’s most polluting.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-...bon-footprint/
    How free one-day shipping is heating up the planet

The rush toward ever-faster shipping is creating the need for more truck trips, undoing the ecological benefits of shopping online.
    Amazon's package deliveries in 2017 alone emitted about 19 million metric tons of carbon, according to one estimate. "That's just under five coal power plants," one expert said.
    on the flipside, Bezos had donated a lot of money to address climate change. I'm just not sure that 1, it's anywhere near enough to replace the damage theyre doing and 2, it isnt just some PR move

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...-analysis-cbs/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-...bon-footprint/

on the flipside, Bezos had donated a lot of money to address climate change. I'm just not sure that 1, it's anywhere near enough to replace the damage theyre doing and 2, it isnt just some PR move
    eh...i'd blame the consumers, not amazon. its easy to point the finger at amazon but they're not doing anything we as consumers aren't asking amazon to do. and don't forget not to call for domino's or BestBuy for delivery of your next TV set. Invest in a pushcart and new heavy duty sneakers. But don't order them online, walk to your closest Nike warehouse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12