Poll: Pay more after a trade?

This poll will close on 04-06-2020 at 12:54 PM Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: Paying Kreider

  1. #1
    Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,643
    Rep Power
    402

    Paying Kreider

    Would you pay Kreider $1m more per season if he accepts a trade, and signs with the Rangers during the offseason?


    So, say its $6m x 6 now.
    Would you be willing to pay him $7m x 6 if he was traded for assets?
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  2. #2
    Senior Member Midget Division
    4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,730
    Rep Power
    68
    Like some back room deal? I'm not sure you can get away with this plan, but even if you could, does Kreider's sudden burst of production warrant that for 6 years? Leopard not changing spots. I'm passing.

  3. #3
    Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,643
    Rep Power
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    Like some back room deal? I'm not sure you can get away with this plan, but even if you could, does Kreider's sudden burst of production warrant that for 6 years? Leopard not changing spots. I'm passing.
    Not necessarily.

    He'd still be an UFA able to sign elsewhere. I'm asking if you'd be ok with spending an extra 1m per, if it happens.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  4. #4
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,863
    Rep Power
    374
    What does a proven 25/25 Vet w/ intangibles get on the market?

  5. #5
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    89,140
    Rep Power
    524
    Probably, yes. My guess is his price is going to go up if he goes to market regardless. Whatever "discount" — if one is even a possibility at all — I'd imagine would only be on the table while he's property of the Rangers.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  6. #6
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,580
    Rep Power
    174
    For the millionth time, this never happens.
    GORTON 2020

  7. #7
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,863
    Rep Power
    374
    I think it's high time to spend some futures capital on shedding garbage. Attach a 2nd and a 3rd to Smith and see ya. Ditto for Staal.
    Last edited by Dunny; 02-20-2020 at 12:12 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Mite Division MuddyInTheMiddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Would you pay Kreider $1m more per season if he accepts a trade, and signs with the Rangers during the offseason?


    So, say its $6m x 6 now.
    Would you be willing to pay him $7m x 6 if he was traded for assets?
    I played along and voted "yes", but for the life of me I cannot understand why this conversation keeps circulating and getting play like it is a realistic option. When a player is traded their whole life and routine gets uprooted, and they go to(hopefully) a contending team to make a playoff run. They have to unlearn their current system for a new one, find a place to live, make news friends and develop a new routine all while playing high pressure hockey. I would imagine all of a sudden once they are inside that gauntlet, all of the good memories and life from the previous stop start to fade and become less important. The proof is just how often this situation never happens. Anyone care to do the research and tell everyone the last 3 times that this has happened in the NHL?

    The only proposal that seems even more ridiculous is would you pay Kreider 8 million dollars per year if we traded him to Arizona, got trade assets, had him resign with the NYR and convince Taylor Hall to sign a value contract?

  9. #9
    Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,643
    Rep Power
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Probably, yes. My guess is his price is going to go up if he goes to market regardless. Whatever "discount" — if one is even a possibility at all — I'd imagine would only be on the table while he's property of the Rangers.
    Only if you believe he doesnt give a shit about the Rangers.... and his NYC life... and Zibanejad...
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  10. #10
    Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,643
    Rep Power
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    For the millionth time, this never happens.
    That's not the question.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  11. #11
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    lefty9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,488
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyInTheMiddle View Post
    I played along and voted "yes", but for the life of me I cannot understand why this conversation keeps circulating and getting play like it is a realistic option. When a player is traded their whole life and routine gets uprooted, and they go to(hopefully) a contending team to make a playoff run. They have to unlearn their current system for a new one, find a place to live, make news friends and develop a new routine all while playing high pressure hockey. I would imagine all of a sudden once they are inside that gauntlet, all of the good memories and life from the previous stop start to fade and become less important. The proof is just how often this situation never happens. Anyone care to do the research and tell everyone the last 3 times that this has happened in the NHL?

    The only proposal that seems even more ridiculous is would you pay Kreider 8 million dollars per year if we traded him to Arizona, got trade assets, had him resign with the NYR and convince Taylor Hall to sign a value contract?
    So the rangers get to sign Kreider and Hall for 9.5 mill a year

  12. #12
    Senior Member Midget Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,181
    Rep Power
    154
    I voted no. If this truly was the scenario, a late 1st isn't worth a worse long term contract. I don't see a 1st and a blue chip prospect coming back for Kreider even though that seems to be the ask. A 1st and a B prospect probably. Not enough.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    lefty9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,488
    Rep Power
    24
    Either way ,the rangers are in a win situation,if they keep him,he complements Zig and Buch ,solid line,and if he gets traded, the dangers get a first and a top prospect,and maybe even more if he signs with the new club,that's pretty good for a guy who only show up when he feels like it, not because he earn it

  14. #14
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    89,140
    Rep Power
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Only if you believe he doesnt give a shit about the Rangers.... and his NYC life... and Zibanejad...
    Or that once he gets a genuine taste of the interest of an open market, he's not going to all of a sudden want to take less to come back home.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  15. #15
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    89,140
    Rep Power
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I think it's high time to spend some futures capital on shedding garbage. Attach a 2nd and a 3rd to Smith and see ya. Ditto for Staal.
    You can probably ditch Smith to an Ottawa-like team on July 2nd. I'm not sure you can get anyone to bite on Staal, even with futures added.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  16. #16
    Senior Member Mite Division MuddyInTheMiddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    You can probably ditch Smith to an Ottawa-like team on July 2nd. I'm not sure you can get anyone to bite on Staal, even with futures added.
    If Smith comes off the books for next season, that makes the final year of Staal's contract that much more digest-able in my opinion.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    lefty9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,488
    Rep Power
    24
    I think Rod Gilbert has infected his blood, and turned his blood blue

  18. #18
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    89,140
    Rep Power
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyInTheMiddle View Post
    If Smith comes off the books for next season, that makes the final year of Staal's contract that much more digest-able in my opinion.
    Or buyout-able.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  19. #19
    Converted Naysayer Midget Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    2,558
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    For the millionth time, this never happens.
    I'm pretty sure I heard on the NBC broadcast last night that doing this type of trading and re-signing was against the collective bargaining agreement, but I can't find it....

  20. #20
    Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,643
    Rep Power
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    I'm pretty sure I heard on the NBC broadcast last night that doing this type of trading and re-signing was against the collective bargaining agreement, but I can't find it....
    Only after buyouts. Cant return to the buyout team for 1 calendar season, I believe. No mention of deadline or trades. Look at Brooks Orpik getting traded 2 seasons ago.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •