Poll: Pay more after a trade?

This poll will close on 04-06-2020 at 12:54 PM Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paying Kreider

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran

Paying Kreider

Would you pay Kreider $1m more per season if he accepts a trade, and signs with the Rangers during the offseason?

So, say its $6m x 6 now.
    Would you be willing to pay him $7m x 6 if he was traded for assets?
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Midget Division
    Like some back room deal? I'm not sure you can get away with this plan, but even if you could, does Kreider's sudden burst of production warrant that for 6 years? Leopard not changing spots. I'm passing.

Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    Like some back room deal? I'm not sure you can get away with this plan, but even if you could, does Kreider's sudden burst of production warrant that for 6 years? Leopard not changing spots. I'm passing.
    Not necessarily.

He'd still be an UFA able to sign elsewhere. I'm asking if you'd be ok with spending an extra 1m per, if it happens.

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    What does a proven 25/25 Vet w/ intangibles get on the market?

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Probably, yes. My guess is his price is going to go up if he goes to market regardless. Whatever "discount" — if one is even a possibility at all — I'd imagine would only be on the table while he's property of the Rangers.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    For the millionth time, this never happens.
    GORTON 2020

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    I think it's high time to spend some futures capital on shedding garbage. Attach a 2nd and a 3rd to Smith and see ya. Ditto for Staal.
    Last edited by Dunny; 02-20-2020 at 12:12 PM.

Senior Member Mite Division MuddyInTheMiddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Would you pay Kreider $1m more per season if he accepts a trade, and signs with the Rangers during the offseason?

So, say its $6m x 6 now.
    Would you be willing to pay him $7m x 6 if he was traded for assets?
    I played along and voted "yes", but for the life of me I cannot understand why this conversation keeps circulating and getting play like it is a realistic option. When a player is traded their whole life and routine gets uprooted, and they go to(hopefully) a contending team to make a playoff run. They have to unlearn their current system for a new one, find a place to live, make news friends and develop a new routine all while playing high pressure hockey. I would imagine all of a sudden once they are inside that gauntlet, all of the good memories and life from the previous stop start to fade and become less important. The proof is just how often this situation never happens. Anyone care to do the research and tell everyone the last 3 times that this has happened in the NHL?

The only proposal that seems even more ridiculous is would you pay Kreider 8 million dollars per year if we traded him to Arizona, got trade assets, had him resign with the NYR and convince Taylor Hall to sign a value contract?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Probably, yes. My guess is his price is going to go up if he goes to market regardless. Whatever "discount" — if one is even a possibility at all — I'd imagine would only be on the table while he's property of the Rangers.
    Only if you believe he doesnt give a shit about the Rangers.... and his NYC life... and Zibanejad...

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    That's not the question.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyInTheMiddle View Post
    I played along and voted "yes", but for the life of me I cannot understand why this conversation keeps circulating and getting play like it is a realistic option. When a player is traded their whole life and routine gets uprooted, and they go to(hopefully) a contending team to make a playoff run. They have to unlearn their current system for a new one, find a place to live, make news friends and develop a new routine all while playing high pressure hockey. I would imagine all of a sudden once they are inside that gauntlet, all of the good memories and life from the previous stop start to fade and become less important. The proof is just how often this situation never happens. Anyone care to do the research and tell everyone the last 3 times that this has happened in the NHL?

The only proposal that seems even more ridiculous is would you pay Kreider 8 million dollars per year if we traded him to Arizona, got trade assets, had him resign with the NYR and convince Taylor Hall to sign a value contract?
    So the rangers get to sign Kreider and Hall for 9.5 mill a year

Senior Member Midget Division
    I voted no. If this truly was the scenario, a late 1st isn't worth a worse long term contract. I don't see a 1st and a blue chip prospect coming back for Kreider even though that seems to be the ask. A 1st and a B prospect probably. Not enough.

Either way ,the rangers are in a win situation,if they keep him,he complements Zig and Buch ,solid line,and if he gets traded, the dangers get a first and a top prospect,and maybe even more if he signs with the new club,that's pretty good for a guy who only show up when he feels like it, not because he earn it

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Only if you believe he doesnt give a shit about the Rangers.... and his NYC life... and Zibanejad...
    Or that once he gets a genuine taste of the interest of an open market, he's not going to all of a sudden want to take less to come back home.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I think it's high time to spend some futures capital on shedding garbage. Attach a 2nd and a 3rd to Smith and see ya. Ditto for Staal.
    You can probably ditch Smith to an Ottawa-like team on July 2nd. I'm not sure you can get anyone to bite on Staal, even with futures added.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Mite Division MuddyInTheMiddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    You can probably ditch Smith to an Ottawa-like team on July 2nd. I'm not sure you can get anyone to bite on Staal, even with futures added.
    If Smith comes off the books for next season, that makes the final year of Staal's contract that much more digest-able in my opinion.

I think Rod Gilbert has infected his blood, and turned his blood blue

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyInTheMiddle View Post
    If Smith comes off the books for next season, that makes the final year of Staal's contract that much more digest-able in my opinion.
    Or buyout-able.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Converted Naysayer Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I'm pretty sure I heard on the NBC broadcast last night that doing this type of trading and re-signing was against the collective bargaining agreement, but I can't find it....

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    I'm pretty sure I heard on the NBC broadcast last night that doing this type of trading and re-signing was against the collective bargaining agreement, but I can't find it....
    Only after buyouts. Cant return to the buyout team for 1 calendar season, I believe. No mention of deadline or trades. Look at Brooks Orpik getting traded 2 seasons ago.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast