Thread: McKenzie: Dave Tippett is "the only candidate" for vacant Oilers' coaching gig

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend

McKenzie: Dave Tippett is "the only candidate" for vacant Oilers' coaching gig

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Dave Tippet. What an uninspiring choice.
    GORTON 2020

Senior Member Bantam Division
    McDavid to request a trade by the draft next season imho

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    They tried the Euro guy, they tried the AHL hot shot, they tried recently successfull fired dude, they tried the big name re-tread. Tippet seems like the next logical choice.

When was the last time Tippet coached even a decent team?
    GORTON 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    When was the last time Tippet coached even a decent team?
    Yotes team that went to the Western Final.

Given the makeup of Edmonton, I actually think this is a good idea. Tippett is a big, big structure guy. With them not having a very good goalie right now, I think strong team defense, even at the expense of offense, is the way to go in terms of stabilizing their club in a mediocre division.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Banned Midget Division
    pat quinn is next

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Yotes team that went to the Western Final.

Given the makeup of Edmonton, I actually think this is a good idea. Tippett is a big, big structure guy. With them not having a very good goalie right now, I think strong team defense, even at the expense of offense, is the way to go in terms of stabilizing their club in a mediocre division.
    Hitchcock is also a structure guy (likely better than Tippet) and that went very poorly. I don't really know what the answer is for Edmonton other than turning over half their roster, but my god, just bringing in a parade of retreads isn't helping anyone.

Seriously, they could use someone like Torts. Someone who can bring a culture back to the club.
    GORTON 2020

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Hitchcock is also a structure guy (likely better than Tippet) and that went very poorly. I don't really know what the answer is for Edmonton other than turning over half their roster, but my god, just bringing in a parade of retreads isn't helping anyone.

Seriously, they could use someone like Torts. Someone who can bring a culture back to the club.
    Agree with this. What held our 2012 Torts team back was the lack of star power. We could win games 1-0 with our eyes closed, but God help us if we were down by 1 goal in the third period. There was nobody to look to on the bench that could get you that big goal in the clutch.

An Edmonton team though, that commits to defense as a team but with all that talent up front, could be lethal. Granted, defense as a team isn't easy without the right players (yes, you DO need the Brandon Prusts of the world), but some minor lower line tweaks with Torts' input would do wonders. Their defense would still be trash though.
    Hidden Content

“'Things aren't what they used to be' is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.” Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold.

- John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Banned Midget Division
    if Tippett wont turn that ship around, the next logical step is for the oiler to trade McJesus to the Rangers.

I could only imagine what that would take.
    Zibanejad + #2 + Miller + Kravtsov + 1-2 1sts

Actually, keep #2 and Kravtsov and I don’t care. But labeling any player as untouchable for a McDavid trade is a bitch move.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post

Actually, keep #2 and Kravtsov and I don’t care. But labeling any player as untouchable for a McDavid trade is a bitch move.
    It's not really about labeling anyone untouchable as it is... If you gut your team to get him, you just become the Oilers. McDavid + the popcorn and beer vendors.
    Last edited by Pete; 05-29-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Yeah, it can't happen. He really can't be traded unless they run in to a Pocklington issue where the main return is cold hard cash.

Or, McDavid needs to demand a trade publicly and start to sap Oiler leverage over a year or something like that.

Banned Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post

it wont take that much. McJesus for Shesterkin + Andersson or Chytil + 1st rounder, 2nd rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    it wont take that much. McJesus for Shesterkin + Andersson or Chytil + 1st rounder, 2nd rounder.
    I'd assume they'd want NHL bodies.

You don't trade away a McDavid to rebuild... you will never get a pick to turn out better.

Banned Midget Division
    you're taking this too seriously. McJ wont be traded for anything