• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Expected to Sign F Vitali Kravtsov

https://nypost.com/2019/03/04/timing-may-not-be-right-for-first-rounder-to-get-rangers-chance/

Kravtsov, who turned 19 two days before Christmas, is not eligible for an entry-level contract slide. Hence, the Rangers would burn the first year of his deal by signing him this year, regardless of how many NHL games, if any, he would play.

This assumes greater relevance because of the 2021 expansion draft regulations for Seattle that are the same as were in place for Vegas in 2017. Players who have completed one or two years of their entry-level deals are exempt, but those coming off entry-level must be protected or are eligible to be claimed.

The Blueshirts could sign Kravtsov to an amateur tryout and bring him over to play in Hartford for the AHL Wolf Pack in order to begin the acclimation process to small ice and North American life, but it is unclear whether that will occur.

I’m not sure why anyone is concerned about the expansion draft. If Kravstov is good, they’ll protect him. Right now there’s not many guys you have to be worried about losing.

Why would you waste spots though, just to have him play 10-15 games?

Currently need to protect Zib, Chytil, Andersson, Howden, and Lemieux. That leaves 2 open forward spots for any FA signings, including Kreider, Vesey, and Buch.

Currently need to protect Zib, Chytil, Andersson, Howden, and Lemieux. That leaves 2 open forward spots for any FA signings, including Kreider, Vesey, and Buch.

Bingo. It's asset management. It's also one extra ELC year of Kravstov to work with as the team improves, rather than burning year one on this season's death throes.

I think the issue is closer to "Is it worth losing a year on his ELC, a year of RFA, and a expansion draft exempt status for 5 meaningless games?"

From a fan perspective - sure get him here. And I also think his agent should be negotiating for this ("Sign me now... who knows what I may be getting from Traktor in May")

From a fan looking at management - TO in Hartford (not, Hartford blows) or wait until the season is over and bring him in for prospect camp after the draft. This is, literally, his first chance to breath since the draft

I think the issue is closer to "Is it worth losing a year on his ELC, a year of RFA, and a expansion draft exempt status for 5 meaningless games?"

From a fan perspective - sure get him here. And I also think his agent should be negotiating for this ("Sign me now... who knows what I may be getting from Traktor in May")

From a fan looking at management - TO in Hartford (not, Hartford blows) or wait until the season is over and bring him in for prospect camp after the draft. This is, literally, his first chance to breath since the draft

I'd rather let all three Russian kids relax a bit, see if they can play in the World Championship, and then all come over together to get ready for the summer camps.

I'd rather let all three Russian kids relax a bit, see if they can play in the World Championship, and then all come over together to get ready for the summer camps.

This seems like the best solution.

Sure, I'd love to see Kravtsov play out the remainder of the season. And there are some obvious advantages in getting him over now to get used to NA ice, settle in and be acclimatized by the time camp comes around. But allowing him a bit of breather now is probably going to come in handy in the long run.

Archived