• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

More Buffalo Sabres Turmoil

Jack Eichel Wont Sign Extension If Bylsma Is Coach

The coach’s future with the Sabres was already in question given their middling results since he took over in 2015. But Paul Hamilton of WGR-AM 550 in Buffalo dropped a bomb at the end of his report on Wednesday, regarding the Sabres’ franchise player:

Inside sources have told me that Eichel has no desire to sign a contract extension this summer if Bylsma remains the coach, so quite a bit hinges on this meeting.

As for Eichel, he was visibly angry at the end of another lost season for Buffalo. But as Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News notes, his attitude towards his coach – and this new report on his contract status – point to some level of petulance from a young star player:

Eichel has some growing up to do if he wants to be taken seriously as a leader. Leaders don’t undercut the coach as many times as Eichel has this season. Or make veiled comments about teammates, like Eichel clearly has about Josh Gorges more than once when referencing players who speak but don’t perform on the ice. Leaders don’t brood and pout in front of the media either like Eichel did to absurd levels Monday on locker cleanout day.

Maybe Eichel was upset at narrowly missing a $2 million performance bonus. Maybe he was miffed about the Sabres’ PR staff smartly asking him to meet the media at the interview room podium rather than form a mob scrum around his stall in the dressing room. Whatever. Deal with it. You’re the face of the franchise. This wasn’t a good face.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jack-eichel-wont-sign-sabres-extension-bylsma-coach-report-151857883.html

So it's ok for Hank to do it to Torts, but not ok for Eichel to do it to Bylsma? There's clearly seperation in that room, so just like JT (and I loved JT), Bylsma has to go.

To be fair, Hank never had to play on a line with Nick Delauriers lol

So it's ok for Hank to do it to Torts, but not ok for Eichel to do it to Bylsma? There's clearly seperation in that room, so just like JT (and I loved JT), Bylsma has to go.

Reading about that the other day was the first time I'd heard about it, but fair point.

I'd argue that there'd be some difference in getting shit from a veteran (Hank) than a rookie (Eichel), but whatever.

I don't argue :slats:

The difference between a Hank and Eichel here is seniority. When Hank mutinied to get Torts canned he'd been a star in the league for years. Eichel is a rookie, so there's always going to be a stigma associated with this kind of behavior this early in his career.

Not to mention it's in addition to other poor behavior you don't want to see continue to develop and get fostered.

Eichel has some growing up to do if he wants to be taken seriously as a leader. Leaders don?t undercut the coach as many times as Eichel has this season. Or make veiled comments about teammates, like Eichel clearly has about Josh Gorges more than once when referencing players who speak but don?t perform on the ice. Leaders don?t brood and pout in front of the media either like Eichel did to absurd levels Monday on locker cleanout day.

Maybe Eichel was upset at narrowly missing a $2 million performance bonus. Maybe he was miffed about the Sabres? PR staff smartly asking him to meet the media at the interview room podium rather than form a mob scrum around his stall in the dressing room. Whatever. Deal with it. You?re the face of the franchise. This wasn?t a good face.

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/murray-meets-ownership-wednesday

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The difference between a Hank and Eichel here is seniority. When Hank mutinied to get Torts canned he'd been a star in the league for years. Eichel is a rookie, so there's always going to be a stigma associated with this kind of behavior this early in his career.

Not to mention it's in addition to other poor behavior you don't want to see continue to develop and get fostered.

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/murray-meets-ownership-wednesday

Eichel is a star already, and he's only gonna get better. Also, he's not alone in his feelings.

He's a star in the making, I agree. But it's still a seniority thing. Any time a rookie does this it never looks good on them. Even if he's right. Even if the whole team agrees (like much of the Rangers did with Torts). It's an optics thing.

Agreed. And beyond that, the team had given​ Torts a run. Moreover, Hank was not only a star and a veteran, but someone who took everything in stride as he carried the franchise for several seasons.

He's a star in the making, I agree. But it's still a seniority thing. Any time a rookie does this it never looks good on them. Even if he's right. Even if the whole team agrees (like much of the Rangers did with Torts). It's an optics thing.

The seniority is irrelevant. Eichel will get his way, just like Crosby did with Therrien, just like Ovy did with cheeseburger eater, just like Hank did with Torts.

He's already a star and not a rookie lol

I think it's a bad look, but he's one of the top 10 forwards in the league already.

He's already a star and not a rookie lol

I think it's a bad look, but he's one of the top 10 forwards in the league already.

He's in his second season. I know he was a 2nd OA pick, but let's not talk like he has even 5 years under his belt.

He's in his second season. I know he was a 2nd OA pick, but let's not talk like he has even 5 years under his belt.

I'm not, but two years in the league is a far cry from being a rookie. Especially when a player is, by far, the best player on his team and one of the best in the league.

Eichel might always live in McDavid's shadow, but to be a PPG player, or very close to it, playing primarily on a line with Sam Reinhart and freaking Marcus Foligno is unrivaled in the league right now. None of the other comparable scorers did it with such a dreary cast around them and it's not even close.

What do you consider a rookie?

Edit - Doesn't matter actually. Don't answer that. Point still stands. Eichel is in his second year. Hank was in his tenth?

There's a difference.

There's not a difference other than time. Certain guys carry weight more than others. Eichel is one of them. If McDavid wanted the coach gone, what would happen?

What do you consider a rookie?

Edit - Doesn't matter actually. Don't answer that. Point still stands. Eichel is in his second year. Hank was in his tenth?

There's a difference.

I get that there's a difference in terms of experience, but in terms of value to the team, there isn't much.

There's not a difference other than time. Certain guys carry weight more than others. Eichel is one of them. If McDavid wanted the coach gone, what would happen?

Yea, this is basically my point. Nobody gives a fuck if Josh Gorges rips the coach, but it matters if Eichel does.

I think that's the whole point Phil is making, and I agree. That time is huge. Hank was a veteran. He had played for Renney. Had played for Torts. Was in the league for 8 years carrying his team to the playoffs routinely. Most importantly he was around the league long enough to understand how it works. He understands the grind, the process, what it takes to win, how hard is is to win. What does a 20 year old kid with 142 games of experience that hasn't won shit know about running and building a successful NHL franchise? He comes off as a whiny crybaby trying to shift the blame for why they suck to other people.

They have a lot of young players, they're gonna have another top 10 pick this year (4 picks in the top 69), they'll be fine, but what happens next year if they don't make the playoffs? Does he cry about the new coach?

Archived