• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tracy Morgan in Critical Condition After Fatal Car Crash; Will Sue Wal-Mart

Phil

Damn...

I was recently driving through Delaware and saw the billboards for his upcoming show at Dover Downs. I thought to myself, good for him he's had quite a career and seems like a nice guy. I guess he's engaged with a young daughter too.

Yea, that hospital is 5 minutes from where I live too. It's probably crazy down there right now.

Yeah, the crash happened on our exit from the Turnpike. I drive there regularly. I really hope he pulls through, but in a limo most people don't wear seatbelts and when a vehicle like that flips over at high speed, you're in deep trouble.

• 1 month later...

http://mashable.com/2014/07/12/tracy-morgan-sues-walmart/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-ent-link

Tracy Morgan has sued Wal-Mart over last month's highway crash that seriously injured him and killed a fellow comedian.

The lawsuit, filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in New Jersey, claims Wal-Mart was negligent when a driver of one of its tractor-trailers rammed into Morgan's limousine van. The complaint claims the retail giant should have known the driver had been awake for over 24 hours, and that his commute of 700 miles from his home in Georgia to work in Delaware was "unreasonable." It also alleges the driver fell asleep at the wheel.

A report by federal transportation safety investigators said Roper was driving 65 mph in the 60 seconds before he slammed into the limo van. The speed limit on that stretch of the turnpike is 55 mph and was lowered to 45 mph that night because of construction.

Roper had been on the job about 13 1/2 hours at the time of the crash, the report concluded. Federal rules permit truck drivers to work up to 14 hours a day, with a maximum of 11 hours behind the wheel.

----------------------

Having worked in retail, and spoken regularly to our truck drivers, Tracy Morgan could be doing drivers a huge favor. The hours and the lack of regulation for drivers is absurd. Most people get tired after 3-4 hours of driving. I couldn't imagine being at the wheel for 11-14 hour stretches at a time. I've done stretches of driving, but always took breaks from the monotony. Considering what they are driving, the precautions for interstate truck driving should be far more stringent.

http://mashable.com/2014/07/12/tracy-morgan-sues-walmart/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-ent-link

----------------------

Having worked in retail, and spoken regularly to our truck drivers, Tracy Morgan could be doing drivers a huge favor. The hours and the lack of regulation for drivers is absurd. Most people get tired after 3-4 hours of driving. I couldn't imagine being at the wheel for 11-14 hour stretches at a time. I've done stretches of driving, but always took breaks from the monotony. Considering what they are driving, the precautions for interstate truck driving should be far more stringent.

I agree with you and also can attest to it being a good thing for drivers. This will force action and get them some better conditions as a result.

That's insane. On this side of the pond there are mandatory breaks and maximum hours.

Despite the lower speed limit and the wide roads, I regularly feel unsafe in US traffic in comparison to Europe. It isn't even the craziness of busy traffic, but it's little things, the astonishing amount of trash and car parts on the road, the holes that aren't fixed, people driving like they've never driven before. It's... odd, for a country so overly focused on safety in other everyday things.

Despite the lower speed limit and the wide roads, I regularly feel unsafe in US traffic in comparison to Europe. It isn't even the craziness of busy traffic, but it's little things, the astonishing amount of trash and car parts on the road, the holes that aren't fixed, people driving like they've never driven before. It's... odd, for a country so overly focused on safety in other everyday things.

Really strange.

Could never happen here, if there ever will be a real german Revolution (not half-assed and abandoned like 1848 and 1918) it will be over something car related.

I agree, it's disgusting how bad the roads are. And the other issue is that there are way too many people on the roads that don't know how to drive. I honestly think there needs to be a road test on how to drive on parkway and highways. People can't even merge correctly. You have people that will get on the highway and cross three lanes to get to the left lane and do 40 MPH in a 55 MPHIL zone causing other cars to slam on their breaks. The amount of shit box cars on the road is crazy as well. It's nuts when you see a dark cloud of smoke going down the highway, or you see a car that is filled with crap and all that is open is the drivers seat. Driving to work is scarier for me than actually doing my job sometimes.

Archived