• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Baby Thread

Blue Heaven

First time dad, got an 8 month daughter who started to crawl yesterday. Time to baby proof the house, and im starting to freak out about it. Any pops out there with any baby proofing advice? I got to get baby gates for the stairs, so how much of a pain in the ass is it to install especially for someone who is not that handy. I'll probably tie down my flat screens this weekend.

First time dad, got an 8 month daughter who started to crawl yesterday. Time to baby proof the house, and im starting to freak out about it. Any pops out there with any baby proofing advice? I got to get baby gates for the stairs, so how much of a pain in the ass is it to install especially for someone who is not that handy. I'll probably tie down my flat screens this weekend.

We initially got rid of our glass coffee table, covered all the power sockets with those plastic covers, put up plastic gates that pop together in about 2 minutes. Most gates that they make now are pretty easy to assemble and set up.

It sucks because my wife and I had some nice ornamental shit and nice pieces, but most had to be sacrificed for safety.

The gates install easily. They're tension rods. Like Scags said, cover all the outlets. Make sure there aren't any sharp corners where the baby is. Rather than remodeling your home, just stand some pillows up around the corners of tables or furniture in the area the baby is in. Make sure there aren't any objects around that she could put in her mouth. Buy the locks for all of the cabinets and drawers. Try to keep cleaners or other toxic shit out of their reach. She'll probably do something every day that educates you as you go. Good luck !!!

We used the gates for the dogs, they are easy to put up and take down, and why son shakes them and they don't budge. Make sure you lower the mattress in the crib. My son was standing in his crib and threw one of his stuffed animals on the floor and wanted it back, he leaned I've the side and fell out. He scared the shit out of me, but was totally fine, not even a bruise or scratch. My problem now is that my son just figured out how to turn the dead bolt on the front door, so I have to figure out how to cover that, we now take our keys with us if we run out just to get the mail.

I have a 10 month old daughter and she started crawling at 8 months as well. When she first started crawling she wanted to see and touch everything. I let her do whatever she wanted as long as there was no concern for harm. I stood by her when there may have been, like playing by the air conditioner (they're located on the floors), playing with chairs, lights, things of that nature. My theory is, if you don't let them play with it, they're going to want to play with it even more. I let her explore them and that's it. She really has no interest in seeing what it's all about again. Obvious things like electrical sockets, electronics, glass fixtures, etc. were removed or stored elsewhere. If you must have a coffee table, make sure it's round. Other than that, she's a baby. Babies will get hurt no matter how perfectly you think you baby proofed the apartment.

I have a 10 month old daughter and she started crawling at 8 months as well. When she first started crawling she wanted to see and touch everything. I let her do whatever she wanted as long as there was no concern for harm. I stood by her when there may have been, like playing by the air conditioner (they're located on the floors), playing with chairs, lights, things of that nature. My theory is, if you don't let them play with it, they're going to want to play with it even more. I let her explore them and that's it. She really has no interest in seeing what it's all about again. Obvious things like electrical sockets, electronics, glass fixtures, etc. were removed or stored elsewhere. If you must have a coffee table, make sure it's round. Other than that, she's a baby. Babies will get hurt no matter how perfectly you think you baby proofed the apartment.

Or get a large puffy ottoman.

http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/41/d/AAAACx196A8AAAAAAEHSRA.jpg

This is the best advice to say to someone. We baby proofed everything, and we even kept my son out of the kitchen using a gate to keep him in the living room. One night my wife took the gate down at his bedtime, and he ran into the kitchen and slipped and fell. He cried a little bit, but we didn't think anything of it. The next. Orning when I got him up, he wouldn't stand on it. I rushed him to the doctor, and the doctor said he probably broke it, and an X-ray confirmed it. The doctor told us that there bones are so soft and weak that a simple slip can cause what is called a baby fracture where a fast twist of the leg can cause it to fracture. He was in a cast for about a month, and was back to normal running around as soon as the cast came off.

Doh.........this thread is sooooooo cute. :p

Looks like everything was pretty much covered already. Good job guys!

-Gates

-Outlet covers

-Hide as many loose cords/cables as possible or get something that can hide a bunch inside a tube, etc.

-Keep the floors clean (watch for anything that can be a choking hazard). We pretty much were vacuuming/swiffering daily.

-Start keeping the bathroom/laundry room doors closed at all times. Within a few months, you'll need those safety knobs on the doors too.

Archived