• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Coffee Thread

Keirik

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

What I’ve been trying to do lately is really only buy roasts that have a date on the, so I know how fresh they are. I believe the flavor starts to degrade after 30 days of roasting. I only buy whole bean too and grind one cup at a time. 

I've been doing a lot of the same. I'm a little less into the one cup at a time thing (grinder is loud and wakes kid, so I tend to grind and store) but I'm trying to branch out some.

2 minutes ago, G1000 said:

I've been doing a lot of the same. I'm a little less into the one cup at a time thing (grinder is loud and wakes kid, so I tend to grind and store) but I'm trying to branch out some.

You probably could pick up a decent hand grinder for cheap on Amazon. Grinding a whole bag in advance really does ruin the freshness pretty quickly. 

No new coffees but I bought a new machine. Since our kid came along in June, we've had way less time to make coffee. We both used to make Aeropress coffee twice per day and, while it's delicious, it's time consuming.

We went to a drip machine that we had laying around but I guess it broke over a couple of years of non-use. 

So after much deliberation, we went with a super-automatic - a Philips 3600. We wanted to replace our Nespresso machine that we liked, but cost a lot for the little pod, and replace our regular coffee.

The Philips is fantastic, if anyone is wondering. We mainly use it to make cafe Americanos, but we use it for espresso and my wife uses it for lattes. It's obviously not the same quality as a regular espresso machine, but the convenience is unbelievable and the quality it's pretty good.

• 1 month later...

My wife likes iced coffee so I got her a cold brew machine for her birthday.  OXO Good Grips cold brew maker.  It had the strongest reviews and only cost $50.  Takes 12-24 hours to make, you have to let it sit overnight to extract I guess.  I got her some local beans with some interesting flavors from a roastery here in Shreveport that is supposed to be good.  Their most popular flavor was Pecan Pie.  She'll be opening it all on Weds so I'll report back.

Oh and my mother was in Hawaii the last couple weeks and picked me up a bunch of different Kona beans from different plantations that I'm excited to get my hands on.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Starbucks holiday blend /not Christmas blend is pretty decent for a mass based company.

I switched completely over to oat creamer to eliminate dairy. Sown unsweetened creamer. Can get it at Whole foods.  Tastes closest to daily without the cholesterol. 

• 3 weeks later...

Debated over a bunch of coffee makers and how committed I would be to ‘craft’ my own cups so I decided to buy a DeLonghi Dinamica Plus fully automatic grinder-brewer and frother that has a stowable milk container. My latest experiment is making a Long and adding a cappuccino with some extra steamed milk at the end. I’m alternating between Illy Intenso and Lavazza Super Crema but am ready to venture into smaller roaster beans very soon. All of the recommendations in this thread sound flavorful. 

Edited by 4EverRangerFrank
  • Cheers 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

24 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Got a burr grinder and French press for Christmas. Pretty pumped to get going. Will take some recs from here to try some coffee. Had a bag of Black Rifle, thin blue line blend so started with that today. Good beans. Enjoyed em.

Awesome beans. For maximum cream and flavor with the French press, course grind, heat the water in the microwave in a clear container so you can see the water just get right BEFORE it boils. Should be around 195-205F. If you let it boil, I believe you alter the taste of the bean. Pour water in and do not plunge down. Wait exactly 4 minutes, plunge down, and enjoy. Ratio of water to grinds is a bit trickier. I know on my French press exactly where to put the course grinds in. You’ll figure it out.

of course you might know this all already but figured just in case..

28 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Awesome beans. For maximum cream and flavor with the French press, course grind, heat the water in the microwave in a clear container so you can see the water just get right BEFORE it boils. Should be around 195-205F. If you let it boil, I believe you alter the taste of the bean. Pour water in and do not plunge down. Wait exactly 4 minutes, plunge down, and enjoy. Ratio of water to grinds is a bit trickier. I know on my French press exactly where to put the course grinds in. You’ll figure it out.

of course you might know this all already but figured just in case..

Had no clue. Definitely appreciate the heads up. 

3 hours ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

I’m good with my Keurig, make a phenomenal K cup

I love my Keurig as well. So convenient. What I’m saying with the French press isn’t even that difficult. It’s really just heating the water by timer in the microwave. If you use the same measuring cup every time, it’ll be the same time every time. Then the hardest part is waiting 4 minutes as is steeps. 

it ain’t rocket science lol

On 12/29/2021 at 1:40 PM, Bugg said:

Anyone tried Tim Horton's k-cups? As disinclined as I am to buy anything in a gas station, hearing good things. 

On 12/29/2021 at 1:57 PM, Cash or Czech said:

My dad drinks them almost religiously. Prefers them over everything else. Except we got him Illy k-cups because those are his favorite, but they cost a pretty penny.

I’ve had them. Not bad. Better than many others. Good clean cup.