• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Patrik Laine Wants Out of CBJ; Both Sides Working Toward Resolution

Laine 5v5 pts

'21-'22 34 in 56 games

'22-23 30 in 55 games

That's mid to high 40s across 82 games. 2nd on the Rangers this year was Lafreniere with 42. Only other Rangers over 40 was Panarin with 60.

I don't think there's enough info about what he's doing in the player assistance program, but the 5v5 production is there and the Rangers should consider him as an option for the right price and retainment. Not because he's the right fit for the team as it exists now,  but because he's young, just turned 26 and can definitely be part of the future if the Rangers start to trend that direction and shake it up.

• Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Laine 5v5 pts

'21-'22 34 in 56 games

'22-23 30 in 55 games

That's mid to high 40s across 82 games. 2nd on the Rangers this year was Lafreniere with 42. Only other Rangers over 40 was Panarin with 60.

I don't think there's enough info about what he's doing in the player assistance program, but the 5v5 production is there and the Rangers should consider him as an option for the right price and retainment. Not because he's the right fit for the team as it exists now,  but because he's young, just turned 26 and can definitely be part of the future if the Rangers start to trend that direction and shake it up.

I'm concerned about how perimeter he was in Columbus. 

He played more in the middle with Winnipeg, but not sold on what he'd do here.

He's also a LW...it didn't go well when he played the right in Columbus. 

17 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Laine 5v5 pts

'21-'22 34 in 56 games

'22-23 30 in 55 games

Straight up for Zibanejad. Sure.

• LOL 1

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Straight up for Zibanejad. Sure.

Have Chytil center CK and Laine and call it the Headspace Line. 

Should last about six games. 

• LMFAO 1

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm concerned about how perimeter he was in Columbus. 

He played more in the middle with Winnipeg, but not sold on what he'd do here.

He's also a LW...it didn't go well when he played the right in Columbus. 

2 years to find out if he can be an answer on the right.

Highly contingent on price though. Maybe our young question mark (Chytil) for theirs, but requires the Rangers to have a center plan in place

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Laine 5v5 pts

'21-'22 34 in 56 games

'22-23 30 in 55 games

This guy lives on the walls and is just more soft skill. Why are you so hard on this player? If you miss Rick NYRash that much just pull up highlight videos on YouTube.

Just now, Phil said:

This guy lives on the walls and is just more soft skill. Why are you so hard on this player? If you miss Rick NYRash that much just pull up highlight videos on YouTube.

I'm not hard on him. He's a gamble, but I like players who are capable of scoring at 5v5, even on really bad teams.

The Rangers have to be careful not to overcorrect away from skill when evaluating the medium-to-long term. In a post-Panarin world in 2 years, what are we looking at in terms of skill players? You need them, and you need them to put up. Laine at 26 is a potential steal to get a 35-40 goal winger, and there's nothing to suggest that just because our skill players struggle in the playoffs, means that all skill players do.

Like everything else, it depends on cost.

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Like everything else, it depends on cost.

I think when you're trading for such a pure goal scoring talent, you're going to pay a premium regardless of whether or not they were in player assistance. That guy generates instant goals.

So that being said, we're going to pay a hefty price, and I know it's blasphemy to say it to say it... But I would be willing to give up our captain for such a player.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • LMFAO 2

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think when you're trading for such a pure goal scoring talent, you're going to pay a premium regardless of whether or not they were in player assistance. That guy generates instant goals.

So that being said, we're going to pay a hefty price, and I know it's blasphemy to say it to say it... But I would be willing to give up our captain for such a player.

Right. Not worried about the cap space. There's options.

It's a 2 year stint. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. Move on. If it does, it would be a major win. For me it just comes down to trade cost.

I get the attraction. When he's on, he's great. He can score from anywhere. He's usually close to a point-a-game guy. He technically plays all three forward spots and is, I think, naturally a RW(?) - seems like a slam dunk to pick up an absolute sniper for Kreider and Zib.

On the flip side, he's fought with coaches. He's long been dealing with off-ice issues or questions - commitment to the craft, whatever he's dealing with in player assistance. He's got a decent history of injury and has been criticized for poor defensive play many times. If I'm making any trade for him - even if it's Trouba going the other way - I feel like they need to trust that Laine's ready to play again - and play for Laviolette in a market where he can actually enjoy being a pro. 

3 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I get the attraction. When he's on, he's great. He can score from anywhere. He's usually close to a point-a-game guy. He technically plays all three forward spots and is, I think, naturally a RW(?) - seems like a slam dunk to pick up an absolute sniper for Kreider and Zib.

On the flip side, he's fought with coaches. He's long been dealing with off-ice issues or questions - commitment to the craft, whatever he's dealing with in player assistance. He's got a decent history of injury and has been criticized for poor defensive play many times. If I'm making any trade for him - even if it's Trouba going the other way - I feel like they need to trust that Laine's ready to play again - and play for Laviolette in a market where he can actually enjoy being a pro. 

I read somewhere that he can't even be traded unless he's out of the player assistance program. Not sure if accurate, but sounds like it would be

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

I read somewhere that he can't even be traded unless he's out of the player assistance program. Not sure if accurate, but sounds like it would be

That's probably true - or some version of it. Though, I think if he explicitly asks, it probably doesn't apply. 

But when I say they need him ready - I don't mean out of player assistance. I mean more that he'd be joining a team that's GENUINELY trying to win a cup next year, and that's a spot he hasn't been in for almost 7 years. You could say never if you consider that Jets run to the WCF in 2018 a fluke, which it sorta kinda was. He needs to be ready to be a star player with pressure on him in one of the biggest markets in the league. He needs to be ready to play RW with Kreider and Zibanejad. He needs to be ready to backcheck, forecheck, and win puck battles. 

He can't be the player that fights with coaches over defensive lapses. He can't be the guy running the road-trip video game group staying up through all hours of the night playing Call of Duty or whatever. He can't be sitting in Brooks Brothers with K'andre Miller trying to win the NHL fashion rankings. He's gotta be ready to be an actively good player on a very good team.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Natural LW. "Can" play center and RW, but struggled when he was tried in both for obvious reasons.