• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Overtime Power Plays

Sod16

I haven't counted, but I think a majority of the OT winners have been PPGs.  The era when they threw away the whistles in OT is gone.  OT PPs seem to be particularly lethal, with defenders more tired.  I like it, actually.  Play the game by one set of rules.  Worst game I ever watched was Caps-NYI 4 OT Easter monstrosity which went that long because they were tackling guys with even a passing scoring chance.  Deciding games by PPGs is no more "arbitrary" than deciding games under rollerball rules.  Also, I really don't want any 3 OT games on network TV, creating pressure to change OT and do 3x3 nonsense in the first round or two of the playoffs. 

AI powered search says "Power play goals have been a rare occurrence in overtime in the 2023 NHL playoffs. There have only been 4 power play goals scored in 14 overtime games. This is likely due to the fact that teams are more cautious in overtime and are less likely to take penalties."

I'm not fact checking that, so someone else is free to 🤣 .

• LMFAO 1

• Phil changed the title to Overtime Power Plays

If it's 4 of 14, that's 29%, versus 19% of goals in regulation being PP, so it's certainly unusual for PPGs to be more common in OT than in regulation, even if the sample is small.  Point is, refs are no longer burying the whistle.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Sod16 said:

If it's 4 of 14, that's 29%, versus 19% of goals in regulation being PP, so it's certainly unusual for PPGs to be more common in OT than in regulation, even if the sample is small.  Point is, refs are no longer burying the whistle.

Not really.  OT is sudden death. There's what 40-50 minutes of 5v5 during regulation.