• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

There's 'Real Fire' on Kevin Hayes to the Columbus Blue Jackets

Phil

• Phil changed the title to There's 'Real Fire' on Kevin Hayes to the Columbus Blue Jackets

Columbus needs a playmaking center. Hayes probably doesn't want to play for Tortorella (assumption). Columbus has $19M in cap space next year. Philly has 14 players signed and only $9M in cap space next season. Hayes would alleviate $7.1M but require another incoming player for their roster.

IMO, the fit works. It just depends on who is on Hayes' 12-team no trade list.

8 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Columbus needs a playmaking center. Hayes probably doesn't want to play for Tortorella (assumption). Columbus has $19M in cap space next year. Philly has 14 players signed and only $9M in cap space next season. Hayes would alleviate $7.1M but require another incoming player for their roster.

IMO, the fit works. It just depends on who is on Hayes' 12-team no trade list.

Or if he's willing to waive to go to CBJ to presumably play with Gaudreau again, which is probably a healthy assumption to make.

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Or if he's willing to waive to go to CBJ to presumably play with Gaudreau again, which is probably a healthy assumption to make.

i'd never assume anyone would waive an NTC to go to CBJ.

33 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, he signed there, no?

All I'm saying is it's plausible that Hayes would want to play with JG again, even if it is in Columbus.

Yes, if they have the same agent and he tells Hayes "No other team wants you, either."

• LMFAO 1

17 hours ago, Pete said:

i'd never assume anyone would waive an NTC to go to CBJ.

Columbus is getting a bit of a rep for being a great place to be a pro hockey player if you're old enough to be done with the party scene. Anonymity, decent cost of living, great fans, a pretty nice city all things considered. Players love it there if they don't want to live the "rockstar lifestyle".

Gaudreau's decision isn't a one-off or an accident - there will be more good players who got shit on in their RFA market for no apparent reason looking to get the hell away from that, play hockey, and live comfortably. CBJ tick all those boxes really well.

The bigger question in my mind is why the Jackets want Hayes when they're well-positioned for a jump to the playoff bubble when healthy and a year older. Doubly so when they're stupidly rich at C already and might have Bedard joining that group.

It doesn't make sense to meNo idea why they're going to throw 7+m in cap space through 2026 for Hayes when they have far bigger fish to fry in free agency, and plenty of cash to do it with.

2 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

Columbus is getting a bit of a rep for being a great place to be a pro hockey player if you're old enough to be done with the party scene. Anonymity, decent cost of living, great fans, a pretty nice city all things considered. Players love it there if they don't want to live the "rockstar lifestyle".

Gaudreau's decision isn't a one-off or an accident - there will be more good players who got shit on in their RFA market for no apparent reason looking to get the hell away from that, play hockey, and live comfortably. CBJ tick all those boxes really well.

The bigger question in my mind is why the Jackets want Hayes when they're well-positioned for a jump to the playoff bubble when healthy and a year older. Doubly so when they're stupidly rich at C already and might have Bedard joining that group.

It doesn't make sense to meNo idea why they're going to throw 7+m in cap space through 2026 for Hayes when they have far bigger fish to fry in free agency, and plenty of cash to do it with.

Who are these people that love CBJ? Career Jackets. Boone Jenner. Who was their last huge UFA signing, before the guy who claimed he didn't know there were any other offers?

Where the receipts that players want to go there? Some may want to stay, but I'm willing a to bet a guy who grew up in Boston, lived in NYC and Philly, would go to the Jackets (who IMO are much more than a year away).

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Who are these people that love CBJ? Career Jackets. Boone Jenner. Who was their last huge UFA signing, before the guy who claimed he didn't know there were any other offers?

Where the receipts that players want to go there? Some may want to stay, but I'm willing a to bet a guy who grew up in Boston, lived in NYC and Philly, would go to the Jackets (who IMO are much more than a year away).

but im sure players dont want to be where they're not wanted. if CBJ is the only place that wants him, he might just embrace it. 

55 minutes ago, Pete said:

You've got this, for example.

When you come into Columbus as part of another team, there’s not a lot of action downtown, right? So the assumption is, then, there’s not a lot to do. But living there you realize there is. There’s a lot of redeeming qualities about living there and playing there that you don’t know about until you actually play there.

You have to actually live there to realize how nice it is. You’re not going to change that (to the rest of the world) because you’re not comparing it to Cincinnati when you’re talking NHL cities. It’s being compared to Miami and New York and Los Angeles and Chicago. 

It’s funny, but when people ask me about Columbus, it’s probably framed a certain way, like, “Really, you liked it? You actually liked it?” I totally enjoyed my time there. 

You could go to any bar or restaurant, any time of the day, and nobody would know who you are. That’s actually good, and it’s kind of what I wanted when I went there, so I liked it. But some people want and need that notoriety.

I'm not saying it's a premier city. Nor am I saying that guys from Boston or NYC are running to go there. What I am saying is that players who end up there have generally liked it far more than they expected and that's starting to get around the league.  If you don't want to be a rockstar, CBJ is a good spot. If you want the marquee or the big ticket? Nope.

What's also getting around the league is that CBJ needs to pay to attract these players in the first place, and no, they're not the place kids want to be picked to.

3 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

You've got this, for example.

I'm not saying it's a premier city. Nor am I saying that guys from Boston or NYC are running to go there. What I am saying is that players who end up there have generally liked it far more than they expected and that's starting to get around the league.  If you don't want to be a rockstar, CBJ is a good spot. If you want the marquee or the big ticket? Nope.

What's also getting around the league is that CBJ needs to pay to attract these players in the first place, and no, they're not the place kids want to be picked to.

I hear what you're saying, but you also have to realize from my point of view I'm reading an anonymous quote from a player who didn't want to be named because he didn't want to resign there lol.

Do I know that to be true? No I don't, but he doesn't sound like a player who stayed there, based on the quote.

I'm just not seeing how Hayes is Columbus material.. unless the death of his brother really changed him. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I hear what you're saying, but you also have to realize from my point of view I'm reading an anonymous quote from a player who didn't want to be named because he didn't want to resign there lol.

Do I know that to be true? No I don't, but he doesn't sound like a player who stayed there, based on the quote.

I'm just not seeing how Hayes is Columbus material.. unless the death of his brother really changed him. 

4 quotes, 3 players, but yeah, point taken. 

I don't see the fit either, to be honest. Aside from Gaudreau being there, and potentially to simply leave Philly, I don't get why Hayes is jumping up and down to go to CBJ. I don't get why CBJ wants Hayes either.  It doesn't compute for me.