• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

No Supplemental Discipline for Austin Watson After Head Check to Tyler Motte

Im sorry, but George Parros needs to go. Just an absolute and utter disgrace. That DOPS has been bad before, but never this inept. This was a fucking elbow directly to someone’s face. There’s a chance Motte misses time over this. And not even a hearing?

That letter the Rangers wrote wasn’t wrong. George Parros is a fucking disgrace.

6 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Im sorry, but George Parros needs to go. Just an absolute and utter disgrace. That DOPS has been bad before, but never this inept. This was a fucking elbow directly to someone’s face. There’s a chance Motte misses time over this. And not even a hearing?

That letter the Rangers wrote wasn’t wrong. George Parros is a fucking disgrace.

The best part... They stopped the game and got on the phone with Toronto to assess the severity, where he was then kicked out of the game... And then DPS says it's not even a penalty LOL. 

• TroCheckmark 1

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

The best part... They stopped the game and got on the phone with Toronto to assess the severity, where he was then kicked out of the game... And then DPS says it's not even a penalty LOL. 

It’s a joke. I can’t remember being this angry and confused at the league.

It’s never been as bad as it is with Parros leading the way. They need to get this fucking loser out of the way. What an absolute disgrace.

We lose Motte while already short handed, and this guy doesn’t even get a hearing after, like you said, Toronto deemed it a major penalty.

And no explanation? Nothing?

Get this goon out. Too many hits to the head. A total disgrace.

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Watson’s left skate was on the ice. He didn’t leave his feet. The primary point of contact with the elbow was in the chest and it then rode up high. It should not have been a major penalty in the first place.

^^After rewatching I agree with this

It is unfortunate but the elbow rode up....he literally didn't hit him in the head.

• TroCheckmark 1

1 minute ago, jsm7302 said:

^^After rewatching I agree with this

It is unfortunate but the elbow rode up....he literally didn't hit him in the head.

We’ve seen countless hits by Trouba very similar to this where head contact happens but it is not principal point of contact

• TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

We’ve seen countless hits by Trouba very similar to this where head contact happens but it is not principal point of contact

For all of the times Trouba has flattened someone, not once has a penalty, much less a major, been handed out. The refs deemed it a major. Toronto deemed it a major. He got 5 and a game. He has a suspension history. And…not even a hearing?

😂

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 2

Let me get it straight....

Trying to decapitate someone with your elbow, that's not worthy of disciplinary action. On the other hand gently shining up someone's face with saliva, that results in three games suspension.

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Trouba does not level those kind of hits against the glass; they are usually on the ice somewhere and does not jumps up to make the hit like Watson did...

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I don't think that's right. They're saying no supplemental discipline, which reads like, "we're ok with the call in the game." 

It sucks and I agree that Parros is a fucking disgrace, but I don't think this hit and scenario is the best way to paint that picture. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, phillyb said:

I don't think that's right. They're saying no supplemental discipline, which reads like, "we're ok with the call in the game." 

It sucks and I agree that Parros is a fucking disgrace, but I don't think this hit and scenario is the best way to paint that picture. 

This doesn't make sense to me:

"It was determined the play wasn't charging and criteria didn't rise to Illegal Check to the Head. North/south hit through the body with unavoidable head contact."

That literally says it wasn't a penalty. And again, my question is if they stopped the game—How did Toronto determine it was a match (intent to injure), but DOPS is saying it was unavoidable head contact. They took time out to review it and 2 sides of the NHL came to different conclusions?

• Like 1

Interesting. I hadn't seen Wysh's tweet. Is he quoting the league or is he interpreting the decision for no supplemental discipline?

If the league came out and said that it wasn't even charging, then I got my hands in the air too. Something's gotta give. 

13 minutes ago, phillyb said:

Interesting. I hadn't seen Wysh's tweet. Is he quoting the league or is he interpreting the decision for no supplemental discipline?

If the league came out and said that it wasn't even charging, then I got my hands in the air too. Something's gotta give. 

Yeah, I don't know where he got his info from. 

4 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Watson’s left skate was on the ice. He didn’t leave his feet. The primary point of contact with the elbow was in the chest and it then rode up high. It should not have been a major penalty in the first place.

spacer.png

(In Butthead voice)

Uhhhhh

Mtv 90S GIF

Look like initial contact is with his chin and follows through to the head. Pretty much tried to take his head off,  no matter how you look at it 

His right skate comes off the ice.. 

That photo is not the initial contact. Both skates were on the ice and the hit started in the chest. His arms rode up Motte and his elbow ended in his chin in that process. Initial contact was not his head and he didn't leave his feet. Momentum carried the rest.

The argument could be made that this could be like a high sticking penalty and no matter the circumstance any contact with the head while throwing a hit could end in a penalty. But that would pretty much remove the lowering of the boom from the game and then we have a SUPER EXPENSIVE CAPTAIN with no purpose.

Edited by jsm7302

10 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

That photo is not the initial contact. Both skates were on the ice and the hit started in the chest. His arms rode up Motte and his elbow ended in his chin in that process. Initial contact was not his head and he didn't leave his feet. Momentum carried the rest.

The argument could be made that this could be like a high sticking penalty and no matter the circumstance any contact with the head while throwing a hit could end in a penalty. But that would pretty much remove the lowering of the boom from the game and then we have a SUPER EXPENSIVE CAPTAIN with no purpose.

Not only do I completely disagree with you but there's not even a screenshot that supports this. 

If people are whining about the hit that injured Lindgren, how is this hot even defensible? 

19 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

His elbow comes up from waist level up and through his chin/face AFTER under his shoulder connects with his head. He follows through with the elbow and his skate leaves the ice to do so. 

The "unavoidable contact" would have been correctly noted if his elbow doesn't rise up 2 feet to the head along his foot coming off the ice. If he just skates through him and that portion of his upper arm continues to ho through his head, I'm a little less annoyed with it. But it's still head hunting. The elbow just makes it flagrant and intent to injure

Also, I see the contact up high first. Not in the chest. Nevermind he comes in from 5 feet away with his elbow down low, measuring him up to use that elbow. It's charging,  its elbowing, it's illegal contact to the head, it's intent to injure. 

I'll try to make a GIF of it. 

Edited by The Dude

49 minutes ago, The Dude said:

spacer.png

(In Butthead voice)

Uhhhhh

Mtv 90S GIF

Look like initial contact is with his chin and follows through to the head. Pretty much tried to take his head off,  no matter how you look at it 

His right skate comes off the ice.. 

This argument stinks. @jsm7302 already covered why.

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

His elbow comes up from waist level up and through his chin/face AFTER under his shoulder connects with his head. He follows through with the elbow and his skate leaves the ice to do so. 

The "unavoidable contact" would have been correctly noted if his elbow doesn't rise up 2 feet to the head along his foot coming off the ice. If he just skates through him and that portion of his upper arm continues to ho through his head, I'm a little less annoyed with it. But it's still head hunting. The elbow just makes it flagrant and intent to injure

Also, I see the contact up high first. Not in the chest. 

This is better and it’s close. I was focused on the elbow. It’s really close what happens first between the elbow connecting with the chest by the R on Motte’s jersey, or the shoulder clipping his chin. Should also note that Motte’s body position changed slightly at the last second because he wanted to reach for the puck. Again, let’s take a moment to recognize Motte’s piss poor awareness, standing with his back to the wall along a board battle just asking to get labeled.

If Trouba makes this hit we are talking about his feet being on the ice at time of contact and his elbows are down at point of contact. The contact drives everything up from feet to elbows, which is 100% normal because that’s physics.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pete said:

Not only do I completely disagree with you but there's not even a screenshot that supports this. 

If people are whining about the hit that injured Lindgren, how is this hot even defensible? 

16 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

This is better and it’s close. I was focused on the elbow. It’s really close what happens first between the elbow connecting with the chest by the R on Motte’s jersey, or the shoulder clipping his chin. Should also note that Motte’s body position changed slightly at the last second because he wanted to reach for the puck. Again, let’s take a moment to recognize Motte’s piss poor awareness, standing with his back to the wall along a board battle just asking to get labeled.

If Trouba makes this hit we are talking about his feet being on the ice at time of contact and his elbows are down at point of contact. The contact drives everything up from feet to elbows, which is 100% normal because that’s physics.

I originally did the same and watched the elbow because I thought it made initial contact. Upon rewatching frame by frame, it is clear that the shoulder contacts the head first then elbow makes contact and rides up. If you watch frame by frame and watch Mottes head and the 14 on his right arm, it is clear that the head takes initial impact and the elbow contacts the chest second causing impact to the body and rides up into the head.

Ill jump off the train of agreeing with the league and jump on the good ol BSBH wagon. 

In the same vein as I mentioned earlier about not wanting incidental contact with the head in a follow through to constitute as a penalty, this does not fit those parameters upon re examination. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

The argument stinks if you disregard the lining him up from 5 feet away as he's against the glass and Watson follows through with an elbow.

Again,  if it's all shoulder and he skates through him. Yeah sure. No hearing is fine. Just a bad angle and a vad decision.  But, no need to follow through and come up with the elbow.  The elbow doesn't make contact with his chest first. His upper arm/shoulder is going through his head on the charge. Repeat...  Charge! Then he decides to lift up with an elbow, in which his foot has to leave the ice to do so to add the extra umph. It's extra and unnecessary after it's already unnecessary as he hit his head already with the initial contact.

If you're lowering your body from 5 feet away, you're lining up the player you could push through his chest with your hands/forearms. This guy lifts his elbow 2 feet from his initial stance to come up and through his head. Fuck, even if initial contact WERE the chest, he follows through cheaply, because you see him lining it up. His intent is clearly to land that elbow man. 

IDK. Does Trouba do this type of stuff? He has zero history of suspensions for it. His hits are generally of the open ice variety. Did he get any gamers for his hits? I'd think Toronto would love to shit on the Rangers by reviewing his hits in game and making the phone call, any chance they could.  It'd have happened by now.