• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Puppy Advice?

Cash or Czech

24 minutes ago, phillyb said:

When I first got my puppy, I enrolled in training classes. Not for her, but for my benefit, so that I could learn how to communicate effectively with my dog. Did wonders for me as a new dog owner (had cats my whole life). 

This. Especially if this is your first dog. Puppies are very impressionable and want to please - but small, adorable behaviors you tolerate when they're little become big problems when they aren't. Enlist a pro if you can.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, phillyb said:

When I first got my puppy, I enrolled in training classes. Not for her, but for my benefit, so that I could learn how to communicate effectively with my dog. Did wonders for me as a new dog owner (had cats my whole life). 

This. 

Right off the bat, the crate is your friend. As far as he's concerned, it's not a cage, it's a den. Look into a cover for it and make sure it's the proper size. Teach him that everything good happens in the crate, lots of toys, food, etc... But no going to the bathroom in the crate. Eventually their instincts will kick in and they will not go to the bathroom where they eat and sleep. 

Second thing is as far as he's concerned all physical contact is good. He can't tell the difference between you pushing him away or off a piece of furniture, and you petting him. Make sure he has a short house leash on whenever you're home, and he's in the crate whenever you're not. Use the house leash to lead him away from things he shouldn't be doing.

I'm sure the folks you got him from who started the house breaking process and gave you the guidelines for that, and how long he could be left alone without going out, etc.

What I'll also say is don't listen to the nonsense about not being able to give your dog different sources of protein. Dog food manufacturers want to hook you into continuing to buy their brand so the easiest thing for them to say is changes to the dog's diet are bad for it. That's not the case you can switch between chicken beef poultry and fish as long as you're weaning. So as you transition you'll want to do three quarters of a serving of the old food mixed with one quarter serving of the new food to see how he does. Try to buy food with the shortest ingredient list possible, and once you've settled on your manufacturer don't be worried about switching between protein sources. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pete said:

This. 

Right off the bat, the crate is your friend. As far as he's concerned, it's not a cage, it's a den. Look into a cover for it and make sure it's the proper size. Teach him that everything good happens in the crate, lots of toys, food, etc... But no going to the bathroom in the crate. Eventually their instincts will kick in and they will not go to the bathroom where they eat and sleep. 

Second thing is as far as he's concerned all physical contact is good. He can't tell the difference between you pushing him away or off a piece of furniture, and you petting him. Make sure he has a short house leash on whenever you're home, and he's in the crate whenever you're not. Use the house leash to lead him away from things he shouldn't be doing.

I'm sure the folks you got him from who started the house breaking process and gave you the guidelines for that, and how long he could be left alone without going out, etc.

What I'll also say is don't listen to the nonsense about not being able to give your dog different sources of protein. Dog food manufacturers want to hook you into continuing to buy their brand so the easiest thing for them to say is changes to the dog's diet are bad for it. That's not the case you can switch between chicken beef poultry and fish as long as you're weaning. So as you transition you'll want to do three quarters of a serving of the old food mixed with one quarter serving of the new food to see how he does. Try to buy food with the shortest ingredient list possible, and once you've settled on your manufacturer don't be worried about switching between protein sources. 

Can I use this same advice with my incoming daughter?  Especially that cage part?

• Keeps it 100 1

We recently got Kody (Chocolate Lab) at 8 weeks old; he is now 4 months. This isn't our first dog but we are trying to train him a bit more than our past dogs to have better manners (company coming over, sitting before eating, not jumping on people).

I downloaded the Puppr app which has been helpful with a bunch of free training tips from simple things to more complex training. Even more so than the app, I have been watching thia guy's videos and employing his tactics and they seem to work pretty well. https://youtube.com/@willathertoncaninetraining

Once Kody is 6ish months, training will pick up a bit more with a hopefully more mature ability to understand and learn.

Good luck with Hank!! We had to put down our 16 year old pup last year and decided to bring in a new family member to grow up with our kids. Hope he brings you all the joy in the world. Nothing like having a loyal friend who makes you their world.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Updates:

The trainer has definitely helped. We had an intro session working on the basics. He's a fast learner. As the vet says, he's got the sweetness of a cavalier but he's smart like a poodle, probably too smart for his own good.

Potty training was pretty easy for him. Working on walking etiquette. Picky eater, both the food and the receptacle. Will eat off the floor or out of our hands fine. Okay with plates. Doesn't love bowls.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Cash or Czech
  • Like 5
  • The Chyt! 1

41 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Updates:

The trainer has definitely helped. We had an intro session working on the basics. He's a fast learner. As the vet says, he's got the sweetness of a cavalier but he's smart like a poodle, probably too smart for his own good.

Potty training was pretty easy for him. Working on walking etiquette. Picky eater, both the food and the receptacle. Will eat off the floor or out of our hands fine. Okay with plates. Doesn't love bowls.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cute pup! Is he a barker? 

9 minutes ago, phillyb said:

Could try a bowl like this:

vEJuByq.png

SvzbplJ.png

Smart dogs need jobs, so giving them a job while they eat might be worth a shot. 

This, or feed him from a Kong or a puzzle toy where the food falls out of it as they push it across the floor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My pup didn't like Blue Buffalo either.  I used to walk my pup up and down the aisles at Petco and let him pick out his food.  He finally found one he likes, Canidae, and has been eating it for a few months now.  Every now and then, I mix it with something else like table scraps, Purina Beefy Burger, tacos.

• Thanks 1