• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Blues Listening to Offers for Ryan O'Reilly

The Dude

2 hours ago, siddious said:

Fair point. Although I like trochek and think this team has been better with him.

Now I have to ask, have you seen the team this season? It's best player isn't better, it's PP isn't better, not much of what was bad last year is better.

Trocheck isn't even better, on pace for about 53 points and is a -8 after being +20 last year. But he's always been a minus player, so that's not shocking. But I was told he'd explode with Panarin and be a 70 point + guy. 

If that signing was successful we shouldn't even be looking at a C right now. But here we are. 

Edited by Pete

11 hours ago, Pete said:

Now I have to ask, have you seen the team this season? It's best player isn't better, it's PP isn't better, not much of what was bad last year is better.

Trocheck isn't even better, on pace for about 53 points and is a -8 after being +20 last year. But he's always been a minus player, so that's not shocking. But I was told he'd explode with Panarin and be a 70 point + guy. 

If that signing was successful we shouldn't even be looking at a C right now. But here we are. 

I’ll give you the PP- imo Kreider and trochek on PP1 is redundant they almost do the same thing and clearly Kreider isn’t scoring like he did last season. Put trochek on unit 2 and start using unit 2 as more than just a time killer. Put Chytil on unit 1.

Panarin- were blaming trochek for the fact that our $11m player can’t figure it out? And before this takes a turn I don’t intend; I liked strome and would have been ok bringing him back. I was sure the chemistry wouldn’t repeat with trochek and I was still ok with the switch. Trochek is defensively better, better on faceoffs and generally a bigger pest to play against. All things this team needed more of. Especially come playoff time. 

Panarin and Chytil should be the pairing at this point. That’s on gallant for not figuring it out. Let trochek anchor a strong 3rd line. 

I don’t know who told you he would explode for 70pts but it wasn’t me. I could see a bump in points playing with Panarin but it’s not like he’s not putting up points at all. 

Are we looking for a center? Top 6 winger, 6th d,and bottom depth is what I’ve been hearing for the most part. Unless you get a center and slide Chytil to wing I don’t even see a point in bringing another center in. 

Edited by siddious
  • Bullseye 2

• Phil changed the title to Blues Listening to Offers for Ryan O'Reilly
22 minutes ago, siddious said:

I’ll give you the PP- imo Kreider and trochek on PP1 is redundant they almost do the same thing and clearly Kreider isn’t scoring like he did last season. Put trochek on unit 2 and start using unit 2 as more than just a time killer. Put Chytil on unit 1.

Panarin- were blaming trochek for the fact that our $11m player can’t figure it out? And before this takes a turn I don’t intend; I liked strome and would have been ok bringing him back. I was sure the chemistry wouldn’t repeat with trochek and I was still ok with the switch. Trochek is defensively better, better on faceoffs and generally a bigger pest to play against. All things this team needed more of. Especially come playoff time. 

Panarin and Chytil should be the pairing at this point. That’s on gallant for not figuring it out. Let trochek anchor a strong 3rd line. 

I don’t know who told you he would explode for 70pts but it wasn’t me. I could see a bump in points playing with Panarin but it’s not like he’s not putting up points at all. 

Are we looking for a center? Top 6 winger, 6th d,and bottom depth is what I’ve been hearing for the most part. Unless you get a center and nice Chytil to win I don’t even see a point in bringing another center in. 

It’s pretty much this in my opinion. Trocheck in his first year is pacing the same as Strome was last year, only with more shots, a much more successful faceoff %, better two way, hits, etc. We aren’t even looking for a center this year unless we are trading Chytil. I think this Trocheck don’t fit narrative is getting overplayed quite a bit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

It’s pretty much this in my opinion. Trocheck in his first year is pacing the same as Strome was last year, only with more shots, a much more successful faceoff %, better two way, hits, etc. We aren’t even looking for a center this year unless we are trading Chytil. I think this Trocheck don’t fit narrative is getting overplayed quite a bit. 

More shots more misses, not better defensively at -8. Faceoffs and hits. The Rangers went to ECF without winning draws. It's important but not a necessity.

Simply put, he's not the massive upgrade some billed him to be. Same points, better at some things, worse at others.

Point being he never should have been signed. Strome either.

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

I don't. Because he clearly hasn't been one. He was supposed to be a seamless upgrade. He's been, at best, a lateral step at a slightly higher AAV than the guy who was a 70-point center for them with Panarin.

• Bullseye 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

More shots more misses, not better defensively at -8. Faceoffs and hits. The Rangers went to ECF without winning draws. It's important but not a necessity.

Simply put, he's not the massive upgrade some billed him to be. Same points, better at some things, worse at others.

What would your plan involve then? Bumping Chytil to 2C and finding a cheap 3c?

im not sure anyone was sold on chytil

the way we are now (some still aren’t). 

also not many center options last offseason even for 3c (I’m probably forgetting someone really obvious)

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yeah, but the Rangers also went to the ECF without much from Strome or Panarin. I’m assuming the change was done to try and change a bit of the playoff outcome. We still lost. It stinks that Strome was hurt because if healthy and produced last playoff, we likely ne er even have this conversation. 

• Bullseye 1

I don't think the plan would have been any different. Hindsight is 20/20. At the time, the Trochek signing made a lot of sense. He on paper should bring a different element than Strome brought while matching the prodution roughly, and nobody in the world was convinced Chytil could do it. I still am not. 

So I think there's a way to think about it like "the move made sense at the time" and "so far it hasn't worked as we planned". 

Let's also be honest in the O'Reilly thread: nobody on this board is seriously wondering about acquiring a center, lol. Our needs are cap management and Right Wing, with literally every single other position not mattering in the slightest compared to those two. Trochek may not be working out as we hoped but he's been fine and not going anywhere for a few seasons. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 2

16 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don't. Because he clearly hasn't been one. He was supposed to be a seamless upgrade. He's been, at best, a lateral step at a slightly higher AAV than the guy who was a 70-point center for them with Panarin.

But isn’t that kind of saying what I’m saying? Strome neve er actually scored 70 points with us. He paced 70 but he didn’t actually ever get there. Last year was 53 in 74. In his contract year. It’s about what Trocheck gets this year, but with some of those intangibles that probably help in the playoffs. 

The biggest issue is Panarins decline to just a ppg player instead of an almost a point and a half. I’m not keeping Strome around just for that reason though if it’s not going to work come playoff time which last year didn’t. It’s a tough call because Strome was hurt but still. Panarin really showed some alarming playoff inconsistencies that probably was the kiss of death for that pairing. 

2 hours ago, siddious said:

No disagreement. Chytil or Laf.

Whoa whoa whoa....Who said Panarin can't figure it out? He's on pace for 84 points. His assists are down, but no one said anything about him figuring anything out. He's just not being made better by his "upgraded" center. Trocheck also is not defensively better, TBH. He's a career -16 and out of his 10 seasons he's been a plus player only 3 times, even on some good CAR teams. So no sure where people are getting he's a good defensive player. I'm not sure that's the case. Strome didn't play his whole NYR career with Panarin, but he was always a plus player as a Ranger.

I'm not sure hits from a guy who's 5-10 180 are going to make a big difference in the playoffs but I guess we'll see. Faceoffs are always a plus.

Are we looking for a center? Top 6 winger, 6th d,and bottom depth is what I’ve been hearing for the most part. Unless you get a center and slide Chytil to wing I don’t even see a point in bringing another center in. 

Agree on all this. I don't have time to find the receipts but many people were calling for 30G/70pt season. And I kept asking, "a 55 point/yr career player is gonna just come in and score 70 now?"

16 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Yeah, but the Rangers also went to the ECF without much from Strome or Panarin. I’m assuming the change was done to try and change a bit of the playoff outcome. We still lost. It stinks that Strome was hurt because if healthy and produced last playoff, we likely ne er even have this conversation. 

Maybe not, but that would still have been bad because it boxes in Chytil.

They let good get to them and signed a player they didn't need.

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Pete said:

No disagreement. Chytil or Laf.

Whoa whoa whoa....Who said Panarin can't figure it out? He's on pace for 84 points. His assists are down, but no one said anything about him figuring anything out. He's just not being made better by his "upgraded" center. Trocheck also is not defensively better, TBH. He's a career -16 and out of his 10 seasons he's been a plus player only 3 times, even on some good CAR teams. So no sure where people are getting he's a good defensive player. I'm not sure that's the case. Strome didn't play his whole NYR career with Panarin, but he was always a plus player as a Ranger.

I'm not sure hits from a guy who's 5-10 180 are going to make a big difference in the playoffs but I guess we'll see. Faceoffs are always a plus.

Agree on all this. I don't have time to find the receipts but many people were calling for 30G/70pt season. And I kept asking, "a 55 point/yr career player is gonna just come in and score 70 now?"

None of this will matter when Kravtsov scores the OT winner in game seven of the finals to bring the cup to Broadway.

….and then I’ll wake up 

• LOL 1
  • Believe 1

lets not pretend that Strome had some super special chemistry with Panarin.  All Strome did on every play is when he got the puck he'd pass it to Panarin immediately. Panarin was the driving force on that line, and in no way it was Strome.  What Trochek doesnt do is pass the puck to Panarin. He's the one driving the rush, gains the offensive zone, and lots of times just shoots instead of passing it to Panarin.  That's why there's "no chemistry".  Tell Trocheck to pass to Panarin as soon as he gets the puck, he'll have more chemistry ala Strome.  

4 hours ago, CCCP said:

lets not pretend that Strome had some super special chemistry with Panarin.  All Strome did on every play is when he got the puck he'd pass it to Panarin immediately. Panarin was the driving force on that line, and in no way it was Strome.  What Trochek doesnt do is pass the puck to Panarin. He's the one driving the rush, gains the offensive zone, and lots of times just shoots instead of passing it to Panarin.  That's why there's "no chemistry".  Tell Trocheck to pass to Panarin as soon as he gets the puck, he'll have more chemistry ala Strome.  

So what you're saying is, we had two players who hit career highs in points while playing together because one player knew when to give the puck to the other player when he wanted it, new when and where to get open for a give and go with the other player, knew where to be to work well with the other player... But that's not chemistry?

And now we have another player who doesn't do any of those things, so we should just ask him to change his entire game and play in a style he doesn't want to play in and then we'll have instant chemistry? 

You're so quick to take a shot at Strome that you don't even realize how little sense you're making. 

• LMFAO 1

Just throwing it out there. O'Reilly has played wing in the past. The Rangers don't need a top 9 center,  but they could use a grindy forward that can play top 9 C,  if there's an injury. 

His leadership is valuable and is a playoff performer. Defensively responsible guy that does a hell of a lot that is missing from this Rangers forward group. 

If this guy can play RW, I think he would be a huge get. Maybe a get you get to keep away from your competition. 

But Tarasenko would be sweet too.