• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ivan Provorov Sits Out Warmups on Pride Night; Cites 'Religious Beliefs'

LindG1000

Society is governed by politicians. How can you separate them ? Of course its political. Forcing someone to support something you do not want to celebrate is North Korean , Maoist level crazy.You WILL support our cause or you will be punished. Do you think he is the only one who didnt want to wear it ? They go along to get along. Not worth the trouble that comes with resisting.

I just do not understand the need to do this. I do not see anything anywhere that is anti LGBT. All I see is things like this . My wife's work email had a rainbow flag added to her signature for the month of June. She did not ask for that. It's being forced upon us. Just let people be, all sides.

Edited by Richter35

1 hour ago, Richter35 said:

Society is governed by politicians. How can you separate them ? Of course its political. Forcing someone to support something you do not want to celebrate is North Korean , Maoist level crazy.You WILL support our cause or you will be punished. Do you think he is the only one who didnt want to wear it ? They go along to get along. Not worth the trouble that comes with resisting.

I just do not understand the need to do this. I do not see anything anywhere that is anti LGBT. All I see is things like this . My wife's work email had a rainbow flag added to her signature for the month of June. She did not ask for that. It's being forced upon us. Just let people be, all sides.

He didn't support the cause and he was not punished. What's your point here?

13 hours ago, Richter35 said:

Society is governed by politicians. How can you separate them ? Of course its political.

That's got nothing to do with anything. Pride isn't political. It's showing support for a community of people who have historically been crapped on. 

Forcing someone to support something you do not want to celebrate is North Korean , Maoist level crazy.You WILL support our cause or you will be punished. Do you think he is the only one who didnt want to wear it ? They go along to get along. Not worth the trouble that comes with resisting.

That's not what's happening here, this is all in your mind. 

I just do not understand the need to do this. I do not see anything anywhere that is anti LGBT. All I see is things like this .

Because you personally don't understand it or notice certain things doesn't mean there's no place for it. 

My wife's work email had a rainbow flag added to her signature for the month of June. She did not ask for that. It's being forced upon us. Just let people be, all sides.

Because your wife's corporate email is a representation of the company's values, no different than putting a company's tagline or mission/vision/purpose in an email signature. 

But what's the big deal? What would have happened if she deleted the flag? Nothing. 

15 hours ago, Pete said:

It's not politics. It's half societal, and half marketing. What brand out there isn't doing something performative to show they support a community during a heritage month. It's about attracting fans.

It’s about attracting fans only because it’s really about attracting more revenue for the business to grow. People tend to forget it’s a business first and it gets managed as such.

Speaking of generating money:

15 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

It’s about attracting fans only because it’s really about attracting more revenue for the business to grow. People tend to forget it’s a business first and it gets managed as such.

Speaking of generating money:

I saw that, was gonna post it, but then went on the NHL store and his jersey is in fact available in all sizes lol

11 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I saw that, was gonna post it, but then went on the NHL store and his jersey is in fact available in all sizes lol

I did too and I didn't even see it listed anymore 🤷‍♂️

Not that it matters. It could be going in and out of stock. It's not a great look for the NHL for his jersey to sell out, but it is great for their pockets and serves them double purpose to increase inventory pronto.

40 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

💯

I thought that went without saying LOL.

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

💯

I thought that went without saying LOL.

I knew I wasn’t telling you anything you don’t already know. Didn’t mean it that way. I know you know. A lot of people believe the “hockey is for everyone” slogan is actually because of social reasons and not financial.

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

I knew I wasn’t telling you anything you don’t already know. Didn’t mean it that way. I know you know. A lot of people believe the “hockey is for everyone” slogan is actually because of social reasons and not financial.

Yea, you'd like to think it's both, but they wouldn't do it if there wasn't money behind it.

If Provorov were being arrested for not wearing a pride jersey you'd have a point.

He didn't wear it, has faced criticism from the public, but he gets to keep going on being an NHL player and making a lot of money. Agree with @Petehere. not sure what the issue is.

I do think all the people going to buy his jersey because he didn't skate in pride night warmups are bunch of losers though lol

44 minutes ago, Pete said:

She works for a company that supports gay rights. That's a choice to work there.

If it was just that easy . 20+ years with the company. Approaching retirement. Not going to make an issue out of something like that. But like I said, go along to get along. Her company has zero to do with gay rights. Whatever that means. I still dont see any anti LGBT laws or policies anywhere . I am talking about today. The world we live in today. Her company also had BLM events and racial injustice training. It is all nothing but virtue sigmaling. It buys them social currency. They have zero POC in management . Pete, you are a smart man, you have to see that companies do these things for a reason. It is not to get LGBT fans. It's purchasing currency in the community.

2 minutes ago, Richter35 said:

If it was just that easy . 20+ years with the company. Approaching retirement. Not going to make an issue out of something like that. But like I said, go along to get along. Her company has zero to do with gay rights. Whatever that means. I still dont see any anti LGBT laws or policies anywhere . I am talking about today. The world we live in today. Her company also had BLM events and racial injustice training.

You mean like cases before the Supreme Court where businesses refuse to serve gay people? Bakeries won't make wedding cakes?

And sure, maybe there aren't laws...Because like I said, it's social not political.

It is all nothing but virtue sigmaling. It buys them social currency. They have zero POC in management . Pete, you are a smart man, you have to see that companies do these things for a reason. It is not to get LGBT fans. It's purchasing currency in the community.

The fact that they have no POC in management goes to show you how far behind the times they are.

For the NHL, purchasing currency is the community comes in the form of getting new fans. These thing aren't different.

• 2 months later...