• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Alexis Lafreniere and the Rangers Reach a Critical Point

Pete

5 minutes ago, Keirik said:

He’s not really wrong. Gallants main job is to win hockey games. Rangers knew this when they hired him. Of course it would be nice to develop while winning but they aren’t exactly synonymous and it’s moreso Alfs job to make sure his development cannot be ignored by being noticeable in every shift. 

👍Agreed. 

I don't think any HC especially one where the organization has extremely high expectations (as a team) would be thrilled about having to develop a 1 overalls pro game basically from the ground up while his clock is running. 

I'm neutral on Gallant. Don't care either way but there's nothing about Laf game that I find the least bit impressive. What turns me off the most about him is in spite of the sub par play he's the jolliest cherub out there, he's living his best life. Almost like he doesn't get it which is the scariest part. Shit goes wrong with Kakko and Chytil and they look like they lost their best friends. Genuinely disturbed, heartbroken almost to a fault. Laf can lay an egg all game long and still be the happiest guy coming off the ice at the end. Almost like he's oblivious to it all.  It was said here already maybe it all came too easy for him before and he either can't find that next gear or worse. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I'd leave his fat ass on the bench for another game, just for general principle. Make sure the point has been made.

I haven’t lost faith in the kid.

Not at all.

Whether it’s a “critical” point… IDK.

But it’s definitely a point to where you need to push him. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jsrangers said:

👍Agreed. 

I don't think any HC especially one where the organization has extremely high expectations (as a team) would be thrilled about having to develop a 1 overalls pro game basically from the ground up while his clock is running. 

I'm neutral on Gallant. Don't care either way but there's nothing about Laf game that I find the least bit impressive. What turns me off the most about him is in spite of the sub par play he's the jolliest cherub out there, he's living his best life. Almost like he doesn't get it which is the scariest part. Shit goes wrong with Kakko and Chytil and they look like they lost their best friends. Genuinely disturbed, heartbroken almost to a fault. Laf can lay an egg all game long and still be the happiest guy coming off the ice at the end. Almost like he's oblivious to it all.  It was said here already maybe it all came too easy for him before and he either can't find that next gear or worse. 

I think that’s it. 

He’s been the best player on the ice since probably age 10. Now he’s not. He’s not playing the minutes and in the situations he’s used to. I think he’s tried to focus too much maybe on just being one of the guys.

And that’s not entirely on him.

Coaches, vets, etc.

Need to give the kid the juice on this. 

Hes 21.

Im not worried.

• Believe 1

24 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I think that’s it. 

He’s been the best player on the ice since probably age 10. Now he’s not. He’s not playing the minutes and in the situations he’s used to. I think he’s tried to focus too much maybe on just being one of the guys.

Coaches, vets, etc.

Hes 21.

Im not worried.

You should be worried. Laf should be worried too. It might motivate him.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I'd leave his fat ass on the bench for another game, just for general principle. Make sure the point has been made.

Not sure that helps his development or the teams on-ice success in the short term. It seems like a Gallant move, though 

15 minutes ago, josh said:

Not sure that helps his development or the teams on-ice success in the short term. It seems like a Gallant move, though 

Not sure that comment helps the development or success of the thread in the short term, it seems like a @josh move though. 

34 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

You should be worried. Laf should be worried too. It might motivate him.

Well I certainly understand the concern.

But again… not ready to sour on him yet. 

And while I’ll totally agree that someone needs to put their proverbial knee in his back some now, I don’t know that it’s motivation.

I think it’s approach. And Gallant being the most laissez-faire coach in the league probably doesn’t help.

Lafreniere has never been said at any point to be lazy, selfish, hard to coach, unmotivated, complacent or what have you. I think he came into a team with some pretty big stars ahead of him and just tried to go with the flow… probably too much. And I think he’s still very much adjusting. I agree that it’s probably always been so easy for him. Now it’s not. And he needs to reevaluate his approach to it all.

And again… just turned 21. 170 games. And the other stuff too. 

17 hours ago, jamsim1967 said:

I don't think it would be a bad idea to send him there right now, letting him and the coaches know where he needs work and then work with him. As a #1 overall, he should not be this anonymous.

This is what I'm starting to believe as well. Maybe the scouts got it wrong and he simply wasn't ready, both from a physical and mental development standpoint, to make the jump (more like a giant leap) from juniors to the NHL. I know it may seem like a big career setback to demote an 1OA pick to the AHL after 3 seasons, but he's still only 21 and we've gotta think of the long game here. It's not necessarily just about this season or next as far as Laffy is concerned, but we need his production for next 5-10+ years. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

59 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

More like a Torts move

Nah, even Torts would sit with the kids, talk to them about what the team needs, how to improve play, etc. Not just black ball them - when the team is losing.

He'd do it to a guy like Panarin (1pt in 4 games), right now. Which, would probably be justified.

30 minutes ago, Karan said:

This is what I'm starting to believe as well. Maybe the scouts got it wrong and he simply wasn't ready, both from a physical and mental development standpoint, to make the jump (more like a giant leap) from juniors to the NHL. I know it may seem like a big career setback to demote an 1OA pick to the AHL after 3 seasons, but he's still only 21 and we've gotta think of the long game here. It's not necessarily just about this season or next as far as Laffy is concerned, but we need his production for next 5-10+ years. 

I think it's 99.8% confidence. He's got none. 7 points in 10 games, winning most of those games - benched.

He's not McDavid, he's not Ovechkin, but he does make plays out there. He's already a solid NHL player when you remove the #1OA and the expectations. He has times where he makes great plays in the offensive zone, but not enough. As I've said for how long now? Get these kids some PP time. A goal does so so so much for their confidence - look at the stretch Kakko is on, and what Chytil was doing when he was hot. This is what they do best - put them in a place to be successful!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, josh said:

Nah, even Torts would sit with the kids, talk to them about what the team needs, how to improve play, etc. Not just black ball them - when the team is losing.

He'd do it to a guy like Panarin (1pt in 4 games), right now. Which, would probably be justified.

Watching him wind up and miss the net two or three times in a row made me want to jump out my second story window. Earn your check or waive your NMC. 

2 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

I think that’s it. 

Coaches, vets, etc.

Hes 21.

Im not worried.

Accountability is key. Kid should be last one off the ice practicing things that will make him better come game time. Just coming in and working hard with the guys isn't going to get him going. Some extra work wouldn't hurt. 

24 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Accountability is key. Kid should be last one off the ice practicing things that will make him better come game time. Just coming in and working hard with the guys isn't going to get him going. Some extra work wouldn't hurt. 

I completely agree with that.

Hes just probably never had to before. 

3 hours ago, josh said:

I think it's 99.8% confidence. He's got none. 7 points in 10 games, winning most of those games - benched.

He's not McDavid, he's not Ovechkin, but he does make plays out there. He's already a solid NHL player when you remove the #1OA and the expectations. He has times where he makes great plays in the offensive zone, but not enough. As I've said for how long now? Get these kids some PP time. A goal does so so so much for their confidence - look at the stretch Kakko is on, and what Chytil was doing when he was hot. This is what they do best - put them in a place to be successful!

They should totally play him with Zibanejad Panarin Kreider or Trochek...

Oh.

Yeah. 

ummm.

If only he could get favorable match ups as a third liner, where he could atleast carry a line on his back. 

Heyyyy, wait a second. He has!!

He was labeled a generational talent or minimum a 1st line talent. You can't just drop the 1OA expectations. I doubt he himself has. He's not going to negotiate his next contract  without those expectations.  He's currently at Benoit Pouliot status AFTER he was deemed a bust. 

I honestly think he is the product of Covid scouting and Covid Jr hockey where everything was kinda glanced over and pushed forward from previous scouting.  There's zero elite hockey skill showing in his game. 

Puck skills? Nope

Laser shot? Nope 

Set up man? Nope

Grit? Nah

Hard working? Meh.

In terrific shape? Hahaha

Speed? Uh uh 

Ability to take puck to net? No

Net front presence? Nope

Defensive prowess? No sir.

If that's all because of confidence issues stemming from 2,  going on 3 years, that's a pretty bad situation to tolerate being in.  

He's  been mediocre and redundant in his style of play and production. This relationship isn't working.  I'd move on. I don't see a situation where the team gets him what he needs. Nor do I think he wants to wait.

I totally think his role here can easily be replaced next season by Othmann or Cuylle. They fit the spot available better and their expectations are kinda in line with the role where they will start. They won't need top 6 or PP minutes to thrive. Othmann looks to me like he could force his way onto the PP. 

I've been underwhelmed with Lafrenière from the get go. I'm not OK with the Rangers 1OA being what Lafrenière has shown.  I don't want to invest time, money or a future spot on him. I cash out and hope other GMs are willing to buy high. 

Because seriously.  Are the Rangers worse without him? Are they better with him? It's so down the middle and it shouldn't be. Unless you think he will suddenly just become as advertised, I cant see the point in dedicating more time into him. And if you think that.  Good on you.  I hope other GMs think the same,  because I truly don't see his future being here. And that sucks. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

That can be summed up by what Staple said with the lack of identity. 

Lafreniere isn’t a role player and shouldn’t be treated as one. He’s not Cuylle. Othmann needs to do more to think about being an nhl player next season. 

he’s still got 7 points in 10 games playing 13 minutes a night regardless of how a bunch of old guys on a rangers forum can evaluate his hockey IQ. 

54 minutes ago, josh said:

Lafreniere isn’t a role player and shouldn’t be treated as one. He’s not Cuylle. Othmann needs to do more to think about being an nhl player next season. 

he’s still got 7 points in 10 games playing 13 minutes a night regardless of how a bunch of old guys on a rangers forum can evaluate his hockey IQ. 

He's a player with no role. 

Scorer? Nope.

Playmaker? Nope. 

Good off the rush? Eh... Maybe?

Good off the cycle? Could be?

Good forechecker? Nah...

Good skater? No.

Good... At what? 

He's not a role player. Ok, what is he? 

• TroCheckmark 1

1 hour ago, josh said:

Why would it be up to anyone but himself, to make his own identity? The third line has not been identified as anything but another scoring line, that gets favorable match ups. 

Why hasn't he just done everything with his supposed skill set to make an impression? There really isn't much holding him back if he's really a generational talent or a legit 1st liner. That talent would have shined through.

If he's not that, then why hold on to him and carry on the charade that all he needs is even more chances to maybe break through? Do you honestly think he wants to be a third liner waiting for more opportunities, despite not showing he should get more? He's more of the same that is here. Vanilla, wimpy, perimeter, pass first, avoid contact, LW. 

I agree it's a stupid time to scratch him, due to his "production" in his last 10 games. But, his non progress is an issue that stretches past that.  Everyone expected better. You're fine with him as is. 

IMO Othmann walks on the team next season out of camp. His game fits exactly the spot that needs to be vacated by Lafrenière. Gritty, in your face with attitude that has skills to do almost anything  needed. Can PK. Can agitate. Can skate. Can score. He fits needs as is. He already has an identity and he's not even in the league yet.  Meanwhile our 1OA hasn't figured out his niche after 3 seasons?  How didn't he know it coming into the league as an all world top prospect?