• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Alexis Lafreniere and the Rangers Reach a Critical Point

Pete

I think a lot of scouts had pretty much the same take as this clown. 

Yukon was supposedly the consensus #1 pick....

That 2020 draft class doesn't exactly look the strongest, but I actually think Schneider is showing the most progress than a lot of those guys!

• Keeps it 100 2

46 minutes ago, Pete said:

Whoever wrote this better not quit their day job. 

It had to be his agent who wrote it or one of the best fiction writers of all-time.

There's literally nothing in that sack lathering that we've seen since he got here. What's worse is there's a laundry list of things that contradict  basically all he's "shown" since day one.

I need another  shower after reading that.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Whoever wrote this just basically over salivated. They're noting a 10-point in 5 games MVP performance at the WJCs... Bedard just had 7 points last night as an underager. 

Strong skater, great on the forecheck...not the same player. At all. 

It's not like LaFreniere wasn't scouted. The Rangers must have watched him play, and felt he was the player that would help lead the organization going forward. 

He had, or has the tools to be great in the NHL, or so they thought. I have to believe that the majority of teams felt the Rangers were getting someone that they themselves wanted. Did the Rangers believe he would eventually be the face of the organization (possibly the NHL) going forward, someone who has the ability to make the players on the ice with him that much better, or just some 30 to 40 points per season guy? As it stands right now, they might be happy with 30 or 40 points a season.

I never really looked, but I don't remember hearing what the Rangers brass expected from LaFreniere. To me, right now, LaFreniere lacks the maturity, or hunger needed to be effective at the NHL level, and he may never have it. He could be the player where everything just came easy to him, the one who never really needed a 2nd or 3rd gear. Well, he's in the NHL now, and he needs those gears. So it's now up to the coaches in New York to help him find them them. Being a healthy scratch is fine, sends a message. However, sending him down to Hartford might be an even better way to help him rediscover his game.

And for the record, I'm not putting all the blame on the coaches, Lafreniere has to get some blame as well. After all, it is his career. However, coaches are there to develop players, part of their job. I don't know what they've done, or are doing, just know that he looks nothing like a #1. So, get to work.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Here's his original scouting report: https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2020-nhl-draft/2020-draft-profile-lw-alexis-lafreniere/

Scouting Report:
The crown jewel of the 2020 draft class, Lafreniere delivered a season for the ages of any major junior player, let alone one who is only 18 years old. After dominating the under-18 Ivan Hlinka and winning the 2019 CHL Player of the Year Award, Lafreniere won the QMJHL scoring title and earned MVP honors at the U20 world junior championship (10 points in 5 games) in leading Canada to gold. Not only is he a virtual lock to become the first French-Canadian skater to go first overall since Vincent Lecavalier in 1998, but he joined Sidney Crosby as the only two pre-draft prospects to win CHL MVP more than once. Lafreniere also is a team-first leader who has made a profound impact on Rimouski, turning them from a 59-point doormat in 2016-17 to back-to-back playoff seasons of 90+ points.

A gifted and versatile scoring winger with outstanding hockey sense and the ability to elevate his game when the situation calls for it, Lafreniere possesses many traits that scream elite and potential NHL superstar. From his deadly wrist shot to his superior playmaking and vision, the St. Eustache native checks every block imaginable when it comes to possessing the puck. What makes Lafreniere unique, however, is his insanely high compete level, tenacity on the puck, physicality, and selflessness. Play him on a line with equally heralded or accomplished prospects, and he’ll make it a point to tap into their strengths rather than make himself the center of attention.

Lafreniere is an excellent skater in all directions, but his powerful stride allows him to separate from opponents in open ice. It’s rare to see a winger nearing 200 pounds of any age to be able to turn on the jets immediately following a physical battle, but Lafreniere’s foot speed, long stride, and expert anticipation places him in open ice with a numbers advantage multiple times a period, let alone an entire game. Playing in a junior league has something to do with that, but there no reason to believe his escapability in close contact won’t translate to success within the trenches of NHL warfare, where time and space are earned the hard way. Lafreniere can tailor his game to fit any style of play, and his ability to play physical causes significant matchup problems for smaller opponents.

Lafreniere can be used in every situation, and his ability to dominate the puck no matter the in-game environment creates swaths of open ice for his mates. Lafreniere is an incredibly unselfish player, and his youthful exuberance when coupled with his physicality reveal a player of the throwback variety. Lafreniere seems to understand and execute set-plays on or off the puck, and he can be counted on as a reliable and tenacious forechecker who creates turnovers in the neutral zone. Although the volume of high-end prospects being developed out of the QMJHL has slowed down, Lafreniere is at the very top of an elite crop of Quebec Leaguers poised to garner the attention of scouts from all over North American and Europe. The top slot among 2020 draft hopefuls was Lafreniere’s to lose for several years, and never once did he relinquish it.

Where the fuck is all this now???  Come on, kid!!!

Did Laf’s Dad write this bullshit?

5 hours ago, josh said:

The most productive season was Lafreniere last season with 31 points. Chytil and Kakko havent broken 23 points.

Yeah, but

Chytil- 281 games played. 110 points

Kakko- 193 games played. 73 points

Laf-      171 games plated 69 points

It was a whacky covid time the year before last and the tear prior  Kakko has had injuries. Chytil too as well as an AHL stint. 

All things given. Those numbers are kinda equal, considering the situations aroundwhentheywere brought in.

Just, kinda expect more from a 1OA . I expect him to be better than on par with a guy that missed half a season, or a guy that has gotten no opportunity in the top 6 over his 5 year career. 

I still don’t understand why in previous years Laf didn’t spend some time in Hartford.  Hopefully dominate, build some conditioning, etc.  Maybe a healthy scratch lights a fire.   But I don’t think effort is the question with him.   I guess he can develop better in practice than at Hartford is the organization’s decision.

1 minute ago, siddious said:

Lol yes he did. I think it might be a bit out of context but never the less a stupid thing to say. 

LaFreniere came straight into the league as #1 pick. Great, pretty impressive. However, isn't it the job of the coaching staff to make sure he's NHL ready, what they expect from him, etc? Sounds like GG is trying to deflect. lol

4 minutes ago, fletch said:

I still don’t understand why in previous years Laf didn’t spend some time in Hartford.  Hopefully dominate, build some conditioning, etc.  Maybe a healthy scratch lights a fire.   But I don’t think effort is the question with him.   I guess he can develop better in practice than at Hartford is the organization’s decision.

I don't think it would be a bad idea to send him there right now, letting him and the coaches know where he needs work and then work with him. As a #1 overall, he should not be this anonymous.

3 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Keep him scratched, I heard Blais name more than I normally hear Lafs.

Lafreniere has 7 points in his part 10 games. That’s about as Blais has had in 2 seasons.

and the team has scored 1 goal in 2 games. 

yes, “Blaise” must be the answer 

3 hours ago, jamsim1967 said:

Did GG say it's not his job to develop players? If he did, kind of a strange comment.

3 hours ago, siddious said:

Lol yes he did. I think it might be a bit out of context but never the less a stupid thing to say. 

He’s not really wrong. Gallants main job is to win hockey games. Rangers knew this when they hired him. Of course it would be nice to develop while winning but they aren’t exactly synonymous and it’s moreso Alfs job to make sure his development cannot be ignored by being noticeable in every shift. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Keirik said:

He’s not really wrong. Gallants main job is to win hockey games. Rangers knew this when they hired him. Of course it would be nice to develop while winning but they aren’t exactly synonymous and it’s moreso Alfs job to make sure his development cannot be ignored by being noticeable in every shift. 

i mean I’d say winning and developing the future of this team are both 100% his job. 

it’s just generally a stupid thing for a coach to say. Especially when you’re coaching a team with a recent 1oa, recent 2nd oa and a plethora of other younger players on the team. 

• Bullseye 1

18 minutes ago, Keirik said:

If he ends up leaving NY, he will end up somewhere where they take an active role in his development and he will take off. Development is not just talent, but the head as well.

• Like 1