• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 Out of Town Scoreboard

Phil

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I'm guessing he missed playing with Barkov? lol Also, that was an insane contract to give someone who's had two really good seasons out of about eleven. If I'm a Flames fan, I'm livid about that deal. Huge reason for the Flames drop-off as a team this season. That and Markstrom's severe drop in play also.

I'm not sure if the dropoff is the lack of Barkov, or Sutter's system. Probably somewhere in the middle. 

Granted, in his prior 4 seasons, Huberdeau has 346 points in 286 games. He's probably been one of the quietest stars in the league. There was definitely precedent for him to earn a contract like he did. I'd be more mad that Sutter was a driving factor in Tkachuk wanting to leave (at least per Flames fans on reddit, so take it with a pound of salt)

1 minute ago, Cash or Czech said:

I'm not sure if the dropoff is the lack of Barkov, or Sutter's system. Probably somewhere in the middle. 

Granted, in his prior 4 seasons, Huberdeau has 346 points in 286 games. He's probably been one of the quietest stars in the league. There was definitely precedent for him to earn a contract like he did. I'd be more mad that Sutter was a driving factor in Tkachuk wanting to leave (at least per Flames fans on reddit, so take it with a pound of salt)

Sutter was definitely part of the problem. Between Huberdeau and Tkachuk as you said, it's really fucked up the Flames. Getting Kadri was supposed to continue Calgary's dominance and really add something, now it almost feels like a lateral move in a sense. Perhaps Markstrom's drop off was even more alarming, or just as much at least.

1 minute ago, Cash or Czech said:

Nah, that conflict is pretty public between Sutter and Tkachuk. 

They did a really good breakdown on this on NHL Network the other day, basically the Flames are a team that chucks the puck from very low percentage areas. They're kind of like the not as good at decision making Carolina Hurricanes. Carolina will take a shot from any area they deem high percentage, whether or not the shot is a good shot or if there is a better play available, that's irrelevant to them. Calgary takes shots but they're low percentage for goals and low percentage for rebounds.

That combined with really bad goaltending is the issue. You can't even really tell if the defense is atrocious or it's just the goaltending and bad shot selection leading to transition opportunities for the other team since Calgary gets a lot of one and done on offense. 

• Thanks 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

57 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

The best part about the Isles making the playoffs is they're really limping in.  Its not like they're hot and went on a tear to get into the WC spot.  

I think if they draw Boston in the 1st round, they have a chance to really make it tough. They can play that frustratingly boring defensive style of hockey, and they have the best goalie in the league this year (I don't buy either of Boston's goalie's stats - purely a product of the system).

• Like 1

I think the playoff "race" between the Pens and the Isles (and, to a lesser extent, the Jets and the Flames) highlights the need for a quick play-in "tournament". It's kind of lame that possession of the last playoff spot came down to who could beat up on a bottom-feeder team. It's just sort of anti-climactic. 

Let the teams battle it out against each other.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I think the playoff "race" between the Pens and the Isles (and, to a lesser extent, the Jets and the Flames) highlights the need for a quick play-in "tournament". It's kind of lame that possession of the last playoff spot came down to who could beat up on a bottom-feeder team. It's just sort of anti-climactic. 

Let the teams battle it out against each other.

Normally the schedule takes care of a lot of that, Morph.  I remember teams playing their division rivals a lot more towards the end of a season.  But this new schedule I think eats monkey ass!

Now that we have so many teams, we only play everyone 3 times, which sucks the big wazooo!  So you get this kinda shit at the end of a season.  Half of these teams seem to be playing with AHL players, and the others are making sure they're healthy to go at it in the playoffs.

The more it seems they try to "improve" the NHL schedule, the worse it seems to get!

I'm a firm believer that every team should play in every other team's building at least once. It shouldn't be the case that Connor McDavid doesn't come to your town for 3 years because the schedule didn't allow it. So that's 31 games right there that every team needs to accommodate. The other 51 are what they are. I don't think there's a way to really move it around that much.

I just think the playoff battle, when it comes down to 1 or 2 points, should be between the two teams - not how they fair against random opponents on different nights. 

14 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I'm a firm believer that every team should play in every other team's building at least once. It shouldn't be the case that Connor McDavid doesn't come to your town for 3 years because the schedule didn't allow it. So that's 31 games right there that every team needs to accommodate. The other 51 are what they are. I don't think there's a way to really move it around that much.

I just think the playoff battle, when it comes down to 1 or 2 points, should be between the two teams - not how they fair against random opponents on different nights. 

This is also something that happens every what, 5 years? It's not something you change a rule for. Forget a play in. You had 82 chances to solidify your playoff hopes.

Penguins are in such a weird spot. The only players signed under the age of 27 are...nobody. Three RFAs aged 24, 24, and 25. Crosby and Petry for two more years, Malkin for three, and Letang, Rust and Rakell for five.

They can't get out of most of these contracts, and are bare. Going to be a rough few years as Crosby heads into the limelight.

27 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Penguins are in such a weird spot. The only players signed under the age of 27 are...nobody. Three RFAs aged 24, 24, and 25. Crosby and Petry for two more years, Malkin for three, and Letang, Rust and Rakell for five.

They can't get out of most of these contracts, and are bare. Going to be a rough few years as Crosby heads into the limelight.

He should call Toews to get some guidance on how to handle it.

F'n Islanders getting the easier draw......I will smite each one of you that wanted the Islanders in the playoffs instead of the Penguins if the NYI beat the Canes and Rangers lose to the Devils.  

Penguins would have gotten smoked in 4 games vs. the Bruins but "wahhhhhh I dont want to see Crosby in the playoffs again."  

1 hour ago, Blue Heaven said:

F'n Islanders getting the easier draw......I will smite each one of you that wanted the Islanders in the playoffs instead of the Penguins if the NYI beat the Canes and Rangers lose to the Devils.  

Penguins would have gotten smoked in 4 games vs. the Bruins but "wahhhhhh I dont want to see Crosby in the playoffs again."  

The Islanders suck. They're not beating Carolina. 

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

The Islanders suck. They're not beating Carolina. 

I was hoping the Islanders would play Boston and take a nice bite out their ass.  I don't think they'll beat the Canes either, but they should be a good speed bump.

21 hours ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

But they can devise a schedule of more divisional games and still have McDavid come to your home arena every other year.  

Whats wrong with this schedule?

6 games vs. division = 42 games

3 games vs intra-conference = 24 games

1 game vs one out of conference division at home = 8 games

1 game vs. other out of conference division away - 8 games

Alternate home/away for out of conference games every year (MLB is now doing that with interleague, NFL has rotated out of division games forever).

You got 66 games vs. division and intra-conference which would make the games mean more especially during a playoff race.  

5 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

But they can devise a schedule of more divisional games and still have McDavid come to your home arena every other year.  

Whats wrong with this schedule?

6 games vs. division = 42 games

3 games vs intra-conference = 24 games

1 game vs one out of conference division at home = 8 games

1 game vs. other out of conference division away - 8 games

Alternate home/away for out of conference games every year (MLB is now doing that with interleague, NFL has rotated out of division games forever).

You got 66 games vs. division and intra-conference which would make the games mean more especially during a playoff race.  

Rivalries and intra-division games are over-rated. it doesn't ensure the best teams make the post season. if you're in a great division, you could miss the post season and still be better than other teams in the conference (or the other conference).

Look at the West. 4 teams got to over 100 points just by beating up on really bad teams in the Pacific. That, to me, is stupid.

I can't see the Islanders beating Carolina either. They can play a very solid defensive game, and Sorokin is one of the best in the league. Horvat will help, but they just don't score enough. Svech being injured has been bad for the Hurricanes, but they still have plenty of offense.

34 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I can't see the Islanders beating Carolina either. They can play a very solid defensive game, and Sorokin is one of the best in the league. Horvat will help, but they just don't score enough. Svech being injured has been bad for the Hurricanes, but they still have plenty of offense.

Since he got hurt they are 9-8-1 and 26th in the league in GF per game.