• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Last of Us

Sharpshooter

Gonna watch the last episode tonight so I can’t speak for it but generally they’ve done a great job being true. and when they haven’t been true it’s been a nice deviation from the game. 

I actually hate that I didn’t have time to re-play it before the show came out because it’s been a while for me. 

11 minutes ago, siddious said:

Gonna watch the last episode tonight so I can’t speak for it but generally they’ve done a great job being true. and when they haven’t been true it’s been a nice deviation from the game. 

I actually hate that I didn’t have time to re-play it before the show came out because it’s been a while for me. 

It was the best episode since the premier for me.

I did play the PS5 remake shortly before the series started. I hadn't played it since the original was released back in 2013. It was cool to relive it again with glorious PS5 visuals. I still remembered quite a bit, but forgot some things too.

I think I said it earlier in the thread, but again, as someone with no context (having never played the game), I'm getting strong early Walking Dead vibes. Not just because of the subject matter, but the focus on the characters and how intimately we're getting to know them and see them develop an affinity for one another as each episode passes.

Definitely. I thought episode three, with Bill and Frank had totally a Walking Dead feel to it. There were some complaints how we've hardly seen any infected in this series, but it was the exact same case for The Walking Dead. There were tons of episodes where there were very few, or no zombies at all, and it was all just about developing characters and character relations. It's the same deal here. You can't have all zombies all the time, you need to develop things.

Episode 3, 100% — especially with how they show the connection to the "main cast" but otherwise entirely showcase "secondary" characters.

And just like TWD, I'm A-OK with not making this a zombie show, but a show about people surviving in a zombie apocalypse. I've never understood that argument. How many times did you want to see hordes of zombies killing people before it's the same thing? The value was always in the people and their stories of survival.

• 2 weeks later...

Arguably the worst episode of the season. I get why they did it, but felt like it accomplished very little outside of the obvious:

Spoiler

1. Who on earth didn't know she's gay?

2. What else did we really learn about FEDRA/Fireflys? Nothing.

It literally felt like an hour-long date to build to the kiss to confirm what everyone already assumed was the case.

Good acting and cinematography but not much else. It was very faithful to the DLC from the game, but I feel like it should have been dispersed as flashbacks in the other episodes instead of getting its own. So far my only real complaint about this show is that the pacing is off and some things are feeling rushed. There isn't a whole lot of story left, but I fear it's going to be rushed with only two episodes left that are 45 minutes long. This show easily could have benefited from another episode or maybe twelve total instead of nine.

I get that there's a game reference to all of this given the source material, but let's be real here, guys — this show is garnering upwards of 7.5 million viewers. What percentage do you think are even aware it was a game?

I'm sure some level of what they're doing is designed to appeal to game players, but it's a minority. The choices are being made for a much wider audience for other reasons. Which brings me back to my original point:

Spoiler

We all know why they did this.

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

I get that there's a game reference to all of this given the source material, but let's be real here, guys — this show is garnering upwards of 7.5 million viewers. What percentage do you think are even aware it was a game?

I'm sure some level of what they're doing is designed to appeal to game players, but it's a minority. The choices are being made for a much wider audience for other reasons. Which brings me back to my original point:

Hide contents

Social commentary on the disappearance of malls across the country?

• Keeps it 100 1

Definitely a minority, but the game has had millions of fans for a long time. The games, especially the first one, is revered as one of the best of all time. Overall still a minority, and game sales have skyrocketed since the premier. They also did a remake of the first game for modern technology around the same time the show was coming up. It's almost like they planned it that way. lol

Plus it's a different medium on top of it. So, some things translate better in the game, and others to television. The first game's story is really not that long, gameplay takes most of the time and obviously there's no gameplay for a TV show. I do still feel like they wasted a couple of episodes with needless lengthy storytelling, but overall it's a good adaptation and most people really won't know any better anyway.

As someone who has played the game, I agree with the critiques but will say it's still an excellent adaptation overall.

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Bullseye 1

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

Hide contents

Just hope they don't stay true to the game for Season 2, because... ooff.

'Winter' is probably my favorite part of the video game and they did a really good job with it last night. David is definitely creepier in the game, but the actor in the show did a very good job. The interrogation scene was well done also. It was nice to see Joel/Pascal finally show some of that visceral aggression.

Even if the show may have some pacing issues at times, the acting and cinematography have been top notch. I can't believe it's ending already. I wish it was an even ten episodes instead of nine, as I feel it could have used one more anyway. I also wish some of the episodes were longer. The finale on Sunday is only 40 minutes long. Oh well.