• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Greatest NYR Reclamation Project?

Phil

Based on this criteria can Jagr be considered?

After two-and-a-half seasons of underwhelming play, he was traded to the New York Rangers in January, 2004 for winger Anson Carter. To make the deal happen, the Capitals had to pay million of the million left on Jagr’s contract. In total, Jagr ended his Capitals career with 201 points in 190 games with 83 goals.

And Jagr’s success in New York was immediate, which only further aggravated the Capitals’ fanbase.

He had 29 points in 31 games after the trade to the Rangers and in the 2005-2006 season Jagr tallied 123 points with 54 goals. He finished second in Hart Trophy voting for league MVP that year. Jagr played out his contract with New York and left for big money in Russia's KHL in 2008 before eventually returning to the NHL.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/washington/capitals/20-year-anniversary-capitals-trade-jaromir-jagr%3Famp

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, I guess, but it's fucking Jagr. They rekindled his passion, but it's not like he fell off the map with the Caps. He still produced at better than P/GP for them.

It’s true but he def re-found his game here. It’s just that even bad Jagr is good Jagr 🤣

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

Wasn’t it I who raised these two names? 😞

I brought them up in the Strome thread, that this discussion was spawned from. ,

I also brought up Strahlman, but I was unaware that he had any sort of success with the Devils before the Rangers grabbed him as a FA.

Stralman, to me, counts. He played like 80-something games over two seasons with the Leafs to start his career and did nothing. Went to CBJ, had an explosive first year, and then immediately regressed back tot he payer he was in Toronto (18 points in 51 games, minus-11). He signed a PTO with an awful Devils team, who didn't sign him, and then didn't sign another pro contract until the Rangers picked him up in November of that same year after Staal's injury. His three years in New York were never points-heavy, but he still turned them into a huge contract with Tampa that he mostly lived up to.

He's probably a better reclamation for Tampa, but the Rangers saved his career.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

How about Adam Graves? From Detroit to Edmonton as a role player, to Rangers icon and 50 goal scorer?

Graves is a decent pick, Dude-man....He was 23 when he got to NY, I think....but he was pretty good with Gelinas and Joe Murphy in Edmonton for a few seasons on the Original "Kid Line".

He didn't domuch in Detroit his first couple of seasons though, so I can see him being a possibility...

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Graves is a decent pick, Dude-man....He was 23 when he got to NY, I think....but he was pretty good with Gelinas and Joe Murphy in Edmonton for a few seasons on the Original "Kid Line".

He didn't domuch in Detroit his first couple of seasons though, so I can see him being a possibility...

spacer.png

In looking at his Wiki page, I didn't realize the Rangers got him by offer sheeting him. 

The numbers don't look too hot before he got here. He certainly wasn't a household name when they got him. But I do recall hearing that he and Gelinas had some good chemistry. 

Ima start a thread later, on players we as fans had wanted to bring in. 

• TroCheckmark 1

3 hours ago, Phil said:

It's kind of hard to narrow the scope on too much without needlessly eliminating contenders. How's this:

"Basically, any player who needed new scenery/opportunity and really bounced back in a big way. First-round picks on the verge of going bust who find their footing after coming here would be prime examples."

Works.

Edited by Pete

3 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Wasn’t Grabner a first round pick? Unless you’re alluding to him having success on the Island? I’m pretty sure that’s what you meant.

Yes, he had good seasons on LI before shitting bed in Toronto.

• Like 1

I'm going with Blair Betts (what username is BBBE going under these days?).

A high draft pick with a lot of promise from his junior career but never really managed to accomplish anything of value in his 3 years with the Flames and probably would've just fizzled out of the league or ended up in Europe. Until he came to the Rangers and really came into his own as a role player (solid center and penalty killer) under Renney, and went on to have a few solid seasons for us and then with the Flyers.

Edited by Karan

3 hours ago, siddious said:

It’s true but he def re-found his game here. It’s just that even bad Jagr is good Jagr 🤣

He refound his passion. His game improved, statistically, for just one year (that statistical anomaly 05-06 season). He basically produced as a Ranger the same as he did for Washington. He just didn't feel like he was "drowning alive" here.

If he's on this list, it's as a technicality, or more appropriately as an honorable mention.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Stralman, to me, counts. He played like 80-something games over two seasons with the Leafs to start his career and did nothing. Went to CBJ, had an explosive first year, and then immediately regressed back tot he payer he was in Toronto (18 points in 51 games, minus-11). He signed a PTO with an awful Devils team, who didn't sign him, and then didn't sign another pro contract until the Rangers picked him up in November of that same year after Staal's injury. His three years in New York were never points-heavy, but he still turned them into a huge contract with Tampa that he mostly lived up to.

He's probably a better reclamation for Tampa, but the Rangers saved his career.

To @Pete's point earlier, is Stralman really a "reclamation project"?  He was a 7th round pick that finally figured it out at 25.  I'd define that as a late bloomer more than a reclamation project.  There isn't a lot of hype to relcaim for a 7th rounder.

2 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

To @Pete's point earlier, is Stralman really a "reclamation project"?  He was a 7th round pick that finally figured it out at 25.  I'd define that as a late bloomer more than a reclamation project.  There isn't a lot of hype to relcaim for a 7th rounder.

To me, yes. It's close, but yes. He was nearly out of the league right at the point the Rangers signed him during the season. But his bloom truly happened after he left, where he really blossomed with Tampa for three or so years.

How about Michal Rozsival? He was really nothing good as a Penguin, and after the lockout, he signed here and put together a few nice seasons. Obviously, it led to a contract extension, and his play fell off for the Rangers after that.

But his first few seasons with the Rangers were really good. Few seasons over 30 points, one where he hit 40. He hit double digits in goals twice. He had a high +/- and had a great shot.

We signed him originally in 2005 for 1 year and at $703K. All in all, that turned out to be pretty good (until he flamed out here later down the line with a lousy contract).

Edited by RichieNextel305

This thread seems to be getting bogged down with the definition of a reclamation project.  I certainly do not think it would include Adam Graves, a young player who was not highly touted and had not had much impact in the NHL who then reached new heights with the Rangers.  In my mind, it's someone who has had significant success in the NHL, regressed substantially, and then recovered with the Rangers.  I stand by Poddubny and Ogrodnick as the best examples.

Let's NOT do a thread on FAILED reclamation projects.  There have been too too many, and that goes to show that these projects are low percentage propositions.

34 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

This thread seems to be getting bogged down with the definition of a reclamation project.  I certainly do not think it would include Adam Graves, a young player who was not highly touted and had not had much impact in the NHL who then reached new heights with the Rangers.  In my mind, it's someone who has had significant success in the NHL, regressed substantially, and then recovered with the Rangers.  I stand by Poddubny and Ogrodnick as the best examples.

Let's NOT do a thread on FAILED reclamation projects.  There have been too too many, and that goes to show that these projects are low percentage propositions.

Well, that's why we needed criteria, isn't it? In your mind it's Ogrodnick and in someone else's it's Graves.