• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign Jaro Halak to 1-Year/$1.55m Deal

Phil

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

Halak is a pro. This reminds me of when we signed Biron. He has experience in all roles, won’t be rattled, will be a good veteran for Allaire to work with and good for Igor to have as backup. Just a pro.

I mean, we're just rehashing the same argument we had weeks ago, but "being a pro" and "being good" aren't synonyms. Biron, when the Rangers signed him, was coming off a bad year with the Isles (29 games, .896), but averaged .916 over 117 games with the Flyers the two years prior. He was also just 33. Much more reliable.

20 minutes ago, Phil said:

OK, but he literally hasn't in three years, and he's consistently gotten worse year-over-year since his last 30-game season. .919, .905, .903. Those last two years were on a bad Canucks team, but you need more than this.

Huh? 2020-21 was a reduced season. He was on pace to play in that 25-30 games range.

2021-22 he was behind Demko who's a workhorse and was never going to be playing only 50-55 games. 

His last 25+ game season was a 2.39 and 0.919. Extremely respectable numbers and a huge upgrade over Georgiev. I find it hard to believe the physical drop-off in the 40 or so games he's played since then will be that steep. Not worried.

Just now, Karan said:

Huh? 2020-21 was a reduced season. He was on pace to play in that 25-30 games range.

2021-22 he was behind Demko who's a workhorse and was never going to be playing only 50-55 games. 

His last 25+ game season was a 2.39 and 0.919. Extremely respectable numbers and a huge upgrade over Georgiev. I find it hard to believe the physical drop-off in the 40 or so games he's played since then will be that steep. Not worried.

He's 37. His save percentage has fallen year-over-year, for the last three years straight. He hasn't put up a .910+ in three years. I hope he's better. I hope he can play 30 games. I question it. Again, he's 37.

I'm not worried. I just don't have unwavering faith in any goalie at that age.

21 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, we're just rehashing the same argument we had weeks ago, but "being a pro" and "being good" aren't synonyms. Biron, when the Rangers signed him, was coming off a bad year with the Isles (29 games, .896), but averaged .916 over 117 games with the Flyers the two years prior. He was also just 33. Much more reliable.

You don’t need a superstar to be your backup. You need a pro. You need to be good. If you were anything more than either, you probably would be a starter.

We just had a whiny backup who stunk unless he had a stretch of starts. We now have a veteran who understands the role and will be working with the best goalie coach alive.

I have confidence in Halak to do what he needs to do. I’m sure he’ll have a stinker or 2 here or there. But I think this was the right guy to sign for this job.

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

You don’t need a superstar to be your backup. You need a pro. You need to be good. If you were anything more than either, you probably would be a starter.

We just had a whiny backup who stunk unless he had a stretch of starts. We now have a veteran who understands the role and will be working with the best goalie coach alive.

I have confidence in Halak to do what he needs to do. I’m sure he’ll have a stinker or 2 here or there. But I think this was the right guy to sign for this job.

Agree with all of this, right up to here.

Like I said, I'm not worried, I just don't have unwavering faith in a 37-year-old to just up and play 30+ games well.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

He's 37. His save percentage has fallen year-over-year, for the last three years straight. He hasn't put up a .910+ in three years. I hope he's better. I hope he can play 30 games. I question it. Again, he's 37.

I'm not worried. I just don't have unwavering faith in any goalie at that age.

Yes I'm well aware of his age but I think you're attributing too much of his slight decline in numbers to his age. I don't think him being 37 is as big of a factor as some are making it out to be. Yes there's natural decline in goalies once you cross 35, but the dude has played less than 40 competitive games over that span. Not a heavy workload at all. We don't know if the decline in numbers could've been simply due to team related performance. Besides, even if we get a steady ~2.75 and 0.910 out of him across 25-30 games, it'll be a win in my books given his contract term and value.

1 minute ago, Karan said:

Yes I'm well aware of his age but I think you're attributing too much of his slight decline in numbers to his age. I don't think him being 37 is as big of a factor as some are making it out to be. Yes there's natural decline in goalies once you cross 35, but the dude has played less than 40 competitive games over that span. Not a heavy workload at all. We don't know if the decline in numbers could've been simply due to team related performance. Besides, even if we get a steady ~2.75 and 0.910 out of him across 25-30 games, it'll be a win in my books given his contract term and value.

It's not a slight decline. He went .922, .918, .905, .903 the last four years. That's a fall.

If the Rangers get .910, I'm happy. I'm expecting .900.

• TroCheckmark 1

4 minutes ago, Dunny said:

The problem is that it's a name everyone likes, but he's toast. Not sure he's any better than Kincaid at this point, but OK.

Kinda feel the same. Really feels like last legs. But I'm game. At least he knows the role and is comfortable with it. Hoping for the best.

10 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I feel like the “Allaire reclamation program” is overblown. It’s more that he can mold younger goalies with potential. 

Yup. It's why I thought they'd sign Charlie Lindgren, but not for three years, $3.3 million for a guy with five NHL starts.

16 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I feel like the “Allaire reclamation program” is overblown. It’s more that he can mold younger goalies with potential. 

Yeah I'm not sure if you can teach an old dog like Halak any new tricks at this stage of his career. The extent of Allaire's help will probably be limited tothings like the mental preparation in-between games, how to stay in game ready shape in-between starts, how to approach practices to stay sharp etc. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Phil said:

He was that old?!?! Wow. I always thought he retired young. Must be that muppet voice that throws me off. 

• LMFAO 1

3 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

Has Allaire improved any goalie over 30?

I don't think Allaire will have much to do with Halak. The guy has his own style that has worked for years. I don't think you'll see much interaction between the 2. He's a vet and stuck in his ways. 

I expect more goalie signings though. Allaire definitely will have a couple of projects to work on. 

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

The problem is that it's a name everyone likes, but he's toast. Not sure he's any better than Kincaid at this point, but OK.

3 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’m also factoring in the fact that while at 37, he doesn’t have a million miles on his engine. And I’m factoring in Allaire will help him, like he’s helped everyone else.

Jones would have been a Pavelec-esque move. Halak will be a good add.

Miles on your tires means nothing as a goalie. It's just a natural loss of range of motion and reflexes diminishing as you approach 40. This is almost universal. It doesn't affect guys like Tom Brady... But when you're trying to stop a 90 mile an hour shot and reflexes are everything, or you're trying to go into the butterfly and get back up, you just can't do it at 38 the way you did it at 28.

It doesn't really matter who the goalie coach is, the team defense is terrible. I don't have my laptop in front of me but I would venture to Guess that the Rangers gave up more shots than the Canucks and more quality chances.

He better buckle up.