• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 ECQF: (1M) Carolina Hurricanes vs. (1WC) Boston Bruins

Who wins?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Hurricanes in 4
    • Hurricanes in 5
    • Hurricanes in 6
    • Hurricanes in 7
    • Bruins in 4
    • Bruins in 5
    • Bruins in 6
    • Bruins in 7

BSBH Game Day Thread Logo

(1M) Carolina Hurricanes vs. (1W) Boston Bruins

REGULAR SEASON STANDINGS:

Hurricanes: 54-20-8, 116 points 

Bruins: 51-26-5, 107 points

SEASON SERIES:

EDM 3-0-0; BOS 0-3-0

GAME BREAKERS:

Hurricanes: Forward Sebastian Aho has become a certified star, a player who can do it all and often does. He is a speedy scoring threat with defensive ability and leadership, and he can break open a game and a series. The 24-year-old led the Hurricanes with 81 points (37 goals, 44 assists) in 79 games this season, just missing his NHL career high of 83 points set in 2018-19. But the way he has taken to the playoffs has been even more impressive, averaging more than a point per game, with 35 points (14 goals, 21 assists) in 34 career games, and consistently coming through -- regular season and postseason -- when the Hurricanes need a boost. 

Bruins: Forward David Pastrnak is all flash, from the suits he wears to how he can rip the puck, and when that flash is on, there's almost no stopping him. Pastrnak didn't approach the heights of two seasons ago, when he had 95 points and co-won the Rocket Richard Trophy as the NHL's top goal-scorer with 48 goals, but he did finish with 77 points (40 goals, 37 assists) in 72 games and hit the 40-goal mark for the second time in his career.

GOALTENDING:

Hurricanes: With Andersen unavailable to start the series, Raanta could get the nod. He was 15-5-4 with a 2.45 GAA, .912 save percentage and two shutouts in 28 games (26 starts) this season, and has played in five career playoff games, all in relief. Kochetkov, who was recalled from Chicago of the American Hockey League on April 18, made his NHL debut five days later and went 3-0-0, with a 2.42 GAA and .902 save percentage in three games (two starts). 

Bruins: For the past decade, the Bruins have gone into the playoffs with one name written in permanent marker on the lineup card: Tuukka Rask. This season, Cassidy will be using pencil as he is expected to rely on his two goalies, Ullmark and Swayman. The goalies split starts this season, and performed nearly equally, leading to a postseason in which the net may be a game-to-game decision. Ullmark was 26-10-2 with a 2.45 GAA and .917 save percentage in 41 games (39 starts). Swayman was 23-14-3 with a 2.41 GAA and .914 save percentage in 41 games (39 starts).

X FACTORS:

Hurricanes: Tony DeAngelo has been a perfect fit with the Hurricanes. The defenseman tied forward Vincent Trocheck for the fourth-most points on the team with 51 (10 goals, 41 assists) and even teammate Brendan Smith, who also played with DeAngelo for the New York Rangers, said recently, "He's been our X-factor." That should continue into the playoffs.  

Bruins: Cassidy took a risk when he broke up his top line in January, moving Pastrnak down and searching for a right wing to fit with Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron. He found that player in Jake DeBrusk, who has a chance to be a real presence in the postseason. DeBrusk is getting the significant role he's been dreaming of in Boston and has the results to back it up with 42 points (25 goals, 17 assists) in 77 games and finished tied with Bergeron for the third-most goals on the team. If he continues the way he's been playing since February, he could be a major driver for the Bruins success.

WILL WIN IF:

Hurricanes: Their goaltending holds up. Whether Andersen makes it back in the first round or Carolina is forced to rely on the combination of Raanta and Kochetkov, goaltending will be key to whether Carolina can finally overcome the Bruins and advance into the second round. 

Bruins: The Bruins offense can breakthrough. Boston is middle-of-the-pack when it comes to production, sitting 15th in the NHL at 3.09 goals per game. But they have the potential to go off, with a top-six that can make some noise in a playoff series. Should they get hot -- especially on the power play -- all bets are off.

MORE:

• Morphinity 2.0 changed the title to 2021-22 ECQF: (1m) Carolina Hurricanes vs. (1wc) Boston Bruins
  • Morphinity 2.0 changed the title to 2021-22 ECQF: (1M) Carolina Hurricanes vs. (1WC) Boston Bruins

More hope than strategy, but I'm gonna say Bs in seven because Andersen is hurt and I think if anyone can pull off the upset, it's Boston given how battle-tested their best players are (and how battle-tested Carolina's best players aren't).

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

More hope than strategy, but I'm gonna say Bs in seven because Andersen is hurt and I think if anyone can pull off the upset, it's Boston given how battle-tested their best players are (and how battle-tested Carolina's best players aren't).

a708ff4a-deda-492c-abb2-ab1bf56f96cf_tex

• JIMMY! 1

Most of the time I would say yes, but the way this Carolina team plays, I’m not sure it’s going to matter much. They are so, so good at just clamping down and forcing the opposition into making mistakes. I can’t stress enough how impressed I was by that team all season. And plus, this Russian kid looked pretty good. Obviously very little experience. But has talent, for sure.

Just like that, Jesper Fast with a snipe. Christ, when did he turn into Ilya Kovalchuk?

Boston is battled tested, but Carolina has romped them all season. Carolina has now outscored them 22-2 so far this season.

Personally, I’m pulling for Boston because unlike some here, I’m really not afraid of them at all. I think the Rangers can beat them in a 7-game series. Carolina? I really don’t think so.