• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sports World Reacting to, Punishing Russia for Invasion of Ukraine

Keirik

UEFA has moved the Champions League final on May 28 to Paris from St Petersburg, following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

The UEFA executive committee held an emergency meeting on Friday and decided to move the showpiece to the Stade de France from the 68,000-capacity Gazprom Arena in Vladimir Putin's home city.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11945/12551034/champions-league-final-moved-to-paris-from-st-petersburg-after-russian-invasion-of-ukraine

17 hours ago, Phil said:

Here's another:

As H-D said, this is just symbolic. Roman still owns the club and it's still run the same way as usual. This is mainly in response to the UK government going hard after the super-rich Russians living in the UK. I guess now that he's not in "stewardship" of the club, they can't hurt the club as a way to punish him.

Here's an informative article about it from Chelsea correspondent Nizaar Kinsella:

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/what-does-roman-abramovich-chelsea-statement-mean/blt1b4f60820cabcf38

There's an appetite in the UK to punish a group of super-wealthy Russian nationals to put pressure on Prime Minister Vladimir Putin after his acts of military aggression towards Ukraine.

Stripping Abramovich of his ownership of Chelsea, along with an estimated £152 million ($202m) property is an option that remains open and beyond his control.

FIFA is of course being FIFA and says the Russian National Team can still compete for the World Cup, as long as they start under the name of the Russian Football Federation, no flag, no anthem. Same silly symbolism as the Olympics with less justification.

Polish and English FA have already stated they don't care for that and won't play against Russia.

On any level. No doubt the other FAs who had already declared their boycott will follow suit soon.

Interesting turn of events re: Roman Abramovich aswell.

After everyone was so quick to judge him, asking for the UK government to punish him hard for his previous relations with Putin and a lot of name-calling, the Russian-Jew oligarch now has come out as one of the first oligarchs to openly "support peace".

https://news.sky.com/story/roman-abramovich-chelsea-owner-trying-to-find-peaceful-resolution-to-ukraine-invasion-spokesman-says-12553990

A spokesman for the Chelsea owner said: "I can confirm that Roman Abramovich was contacted by the Ukrainian side for support in achieving a peaceful resolution, and that he has been trying to help ever since.

"Considering what is at stake, we would ask for your understanding as to why we have not commented on neither the situation as such nor his involvement."

Mr Rodnyansky said: "I can confirm that the Ukrainian side have been trying to find someone in Russia willing to help them in finding a peaceful resolution.[...]

"Although Roman Abramovich's influence is limited, he is the only one who responded and taken it upon himself to try.

"If this will have an impact or not, I don't know, but I am in contact with (Ukraine President Volodymyr) Zelensky's staff myself, and know that they are grateful for his genuine efforts."

• Phil changed the title to Sports World React to, Punish Russia for Invasion of Ukraine

Russia has been banned from all FIFA and UEFA competitions, National and Club level.

UEFA will also terminat the sponsorship deal with state owned Gazprom.

German 2nd Division club Schalke 04 has also ended its sponsorship with Gazprom, which means a serious financial strain for the club, as it forfeits around 25 Million Euros.

Edited by H-Dreamer

• Phil changed the title to Sports World Reacting to, Punishing Russia for Invasion of Ukraine

For the non-EPL folks here, this means that Chelsea are barred from participating in the Champions League. Chelsea is being sold. Schalke 04 has broken its shirt partnership agreement with Gazprom (and sold MASSIVE numbers of new shirts), 

Edit - I'll own this as Piers likely taking the piss and fucking around since Abramovich is panic-selling the club, but Russian teams were in fact banned from the Champions League.

19 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Edit - I'll own this as Piers likely taking the piss and fucking around since Abramovich is panic-selling the club, but Russian teams were in fact banned from the Champions League.

Yeah I think this is right re: his tweet.

What is happening tho is that Chelsea will lose the greatest ever owner of a football club because of this. I know he's been "close" with Putin before and it's honestly impossible for anyone to know exactly how close they are, but he's obviously helped Putin get to where he is today. I don't think he has anything to do with the latest from Putin, but who knows really.

It sucks because as a fan of the club I've grown to love the man. He's been the owner for as long as I can remember (He took over the club when I was 6 years old). He's used a lot of money on the club, but not just thrown the money around like the Saudi's, but he really cares about the club. He's prioritized winning trophies and building the clubs reputation over profits (the club owns him 1.5 billion pounds).

Now I know things are bigger things going on than sports and I am all for sanctioning Putin's oligarchs, but man I never thought Putin going crazy could be start of the downfall of my beloved Football Club.

Just please don't sell to some greedy Americans...

38 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Any baseball fans here got any information about Todd Boehly? No idea who he is and his face is very punchable. Please give me some good news about this dude...

I'll say this much - the Dodgers splash money. He's no Stan Kroenke; at least historically.

• Thanks 1

And there it's confirmed: https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2022/03/02/statement-from-roman-abramovich

^Best owner ever.

That said, this is really fucking weird. Decided to sell the club within a few days and saying he don't need the loaned money back and will give away all net proceeds. He already got "fuck you money", but with how unstable the russian (and the worldwide) economy is, that is strange. I wonder if news about his connection to Putin will start circulating. This feels like him trying to get out ahead of some bad news with how rushed this all feels. That said, he strikes me as a noble man, no doubt been involved in some shady business, but I don't see him supporting war like this.

Hard to feel sorry for myself in times like these, but man this sucks.

7 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Yeah I think this is right re: his tweet.

What is happening tho is that Chelsea will lose the greatest ever owner of a football club because of this. I know he's been "close" with Putin before and it's honestly impossible for anyone to know exactly how close they are, but he's obviously helped Putin get to where he is today. I don't think he has anything to do with the latest from Putin, but who knows really.

It sucks because as a fan of the club I've grown to love the man. He's been the owner for as long as I can remember (He took over the club when I was 6 years old). He's used a lot of money on the club, but not just thrown the money around like the Saudi's, but he really cares about the club. He's prioritized winning trophies and building the clubs reputation over profits (the club owns him 1.5 billion pounds).

Meanwhile on our side of the English Channel he's hated for ruining Football with "unfair" and "unearned" money. 😄

Of course it didn't really start with him, but when he bought Chelsea traditional fans over here in Germany noticed that the myths they heard about English Football were just that, myths.