• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Will Cuylle Has the Makings of Milan Lucic in His Prime

Blue Heaven

https://theathletic.com/3112405/2022/02/09/rangers-prospect-pipeline-check-in-skilled-physical-will-cuylle-has-the-makings-of-milan-lucic-in-his-prime/

The 6-foot-4, 210-pound left wing is putting himself into position to fight for a roster spot with the Rangers next season, when the big club might face a cap crunch in filling out its forward group.

Cuylle is also drawing an impressive comparison from his well-known coach.

“I look at Milan Lucic in his prime,” Marc Savard said of Cuylle. “Cools skates a little better than Looch, but the physical presence is the same. Maybe Cools doesn’t have Looch’s fighting skills, but as a guy I played with in the league, Cools reminds me of him. And Cools is going to play in the league for sure.”

Morgan Barron centering Cuylle next season?!?! 2 guys 6'4 210-220 would be hard to play against. 

• Like 3
  • Keeps it 100 1

• Phil changed the title to Will Cuylle Has the Makings of 'Milan Lucic in His Prime'
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 12:47 PM, Blue Heaven said:

https://theathletic.com/3112405/2022/02/09/rangers-prospect-pipeline-check-in-skilled-physical-will-cuylle-has-the-makings-of-milan-lucic-in-his-prime/

Morgan Barron centering Cuylle next season?!?! 2 guys 6'4 210-220 would be hard to play against. 

I have no idea what people see in Barron, but I'm interested in Cuylle for sure.

He or Othmann stand a real chance of cracking the team as early as next season. I'd give the leg up on Cuylle simply because he's had an extra year's worth of reps playing against men.

Based on style of play, if the Rangers find a more third-line appropriate forward, Cuylle-X-Goodrow or Cuylle-Goodrow-X could be a nasty line to play against.

• Like 1
  • The Chyt! 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

He or Othmann stand a real chance of cracking the team as early as next season. I'd give the leg up on Cuylle simply because he's had an extra year's worth of reps playing against men.

Based on style of play, if the Rangers find a more third-line forward, Cuylle-X-Goodrow or Cuylle-Goodrow-X could be a nasty line to play against.

I was thinking we wouldn't see Schneider for at least another season, and here we are!!  Kid looks pretty solid too!  No reason to keep them back if they're knocking at the door with the greatest of intention! 

The Shining GIF

• LOL 1

18 hours ago, Phil said:

Based on style of play, if the Rangers find a more third-line appropriate forward, Cuylle-X-Goodrow or Cuylle-Goodrow-X could be a nasty line to play against.

Othmann played in the Swiss league last season 

cuylle is shooter. Why do you put him with Goodrow? 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I mean that's just not going to happen in the foreseeable future, we know this.

Throw them on the third or 4th line, then whine about lack of production. Again. 
sounds like a plan.

put them in a spot to be successful. It’s not a hard concept. “Your job is to shoot. Go get in shooting position and fire away” 

3 minutes ago, josh said:

Throw them on the third or 4th line, then whine about lack of production. Again. 
sounds like a plan.

put them in a spot to be successful. It’s not a hard concept. “Your job is to shoot. Go get in shooting position and fire away” 

OK so what are the lines?

Maybe one gets RW on Panarin's line, say Othmann with his one timer.

Cools is headed to 3rd line as long as Kreider and Panarin are here. 

So there's really no scenario where one plays with Loaf and one plays with Bread. 

36 minutes ago, josh said:

sounds like a plan.

24 minutes ago, josh said:

Kreider Zibanejad Kakko

panarin Strome Cuylle/Othmann

lafreniere [center] Cuylle/Othmann 

4th line 

Confused Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

37 minutes ago, josh said:

There’s a difference between playing with Blais and Goodrow vs skilled players.

Yea, that's why I said it depends who the center on that line is. Can easily see Goodrow and the defensive, puck retrieval, show the kids how to play "the right way" kind of guy on that line.

I see him more as a less mean, less talented Kassian. Not sure why we see all these crazy projections around this guy. He's a 6'4 20 YO playing major junior, the numbers he's posting are pretty standard for that profile.

I'd reserve any broad proclamations until he does something at the next level, which for him is likely the AHL.

17 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Not sure why we see all these crazy projections around this guy.

Rangers fans love to bathe in hyperbole and rally disproportionately around anyone who hits. See: Reaves, Ryan.

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

I see him more as a less mean, less talented Kassian. Not sure why we see all these crazy projections around this guy. He's a 6'4 20 YO playing major junior, the numbers he's posting are pretty standard for that profile.

I'd reserve any broad proclamations until he does something at the next level, which for him is likely the AHL.

Kassian without the drug and alcohol problems, hopefully 

not looking for much. A physical player, plays hard, shoots the puck. Not looking for a superstar or anything. His skill set is a great complement to the current squad. 

11 hours ago, josh said:

He should receive, and sign, his QO of 1.6 

maybe 1.8x2

Literally this. He lost too much of this season to command anything else. Even in arbitration, what's the argument — I scored zero goals and had 4 points in 14 games, so pay me?

Signing his QO makes too much sense. Come back, healthy, and let's see what you can do.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1