• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will be in on Patrick Kane

Phil

8 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I'd definitely have interest, but I don't see how it would at all be possible until next year's deadline. Any move now, even Kane at 50%, precludes the Rangers from retaining Strome or signing/acquiring any equivalent center. Panarin and Kane worked with Anisimov in the middle, but Chytil is a way shittier Anisimov. 

Double retention. Kane at $2.625M x 2 is no problem. The cost to get him to that number might be.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Double retention. Kane at $2.625M x 2 is no problem. The cost to get him to that number might be.

I don't even want to know what it would cost just to facilitate that. Plus that's really getting into uncharted territory. I don't think we've ever seen a deal with immediate double retention.

AZ retains half in exchange for our 2023 1st and Brodzinski and Hajek (because they just need players under contract, Johnny B signed for 2 more years, Hajek is an RFA)

Chicago gets: 2022 1st rounder, Chytil, Kravstov

NYR Gets: Kane

I just have a hard time seeing how this ends up working.

We would still likely have to let Strome walk in the offseason and Chytil is our only hope of replacing him internally right? 

edit: didn't realize double retention could be a thing. 

Edited by BlairBettsBlocksEverything

5 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Um, er, is there something called the cap in this league?  What's $10.8 million for the next two years anyway?  Oh sure, Hawks will retain half (not).  Still can't fit him in.  And not a center.

I've devised a work around.. It's called the "Tampa Variant". 

The Rangers will place both the contracts for Panarin, and Trouba on LTIR. The nuance of my plan is that unlike Tampa's usage, the injury is to the players cap hit rather than their person. Both players cap hit will be placed on LTIR with upper, and lower body injuries (respectively) and will miss the remainder of the regular season. The great news is both Bread and Trouba can play while their AAV's convalesce.    

I can guarantee you there is no bigger Kane stan than me on the forum.

He's not what they need. They need a guy who's going to drag his team into the fight, go to the tough areas to score. Kane is 📽️ but at his age and where his goal scoring numbers are...He's not what they need.

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

I can guarantee you there is no bigger Kane stan than me on the forum.

He's not what they need. They need a guy who's going to drag his team into the fight, go to the tough areas to score. Kane is 📽️ but at his age and where his goal scoring numbers are...He's not what they need.

Kane and Panarin on a line together again though, could be lethal.

9 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Kane and Panarin on a line together again though, could be lethal.

No doubt, but how's it fix the bottom 6, BUG and 3rd pair?

If Kane doesn't move the needle 5v5 (have to check the numbers), then we're just getting better at what we're already good at.

Like, we can't score. If he gives us quick strike, one shot and you're back in the game, then sure. If he doesn't do that then it's not worth the gymnastics.

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Phil said:

That’s basically Kakko’s next bridge deal, assuming he doesn’t get offersheeted.

Leads to an interesting question…do you consider Kakko in the deal to make it work? Cap budget unchanged. Offersheet risk eliminated. One or more of those prospects in the boatload of prospects and picks headed out to Chicago in lieu of Kakko might even turn out better than Kakko.

1 hour ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I don't even want to know what it would cost just to facilitate that. Plus that's really getting into uncharted territory. I don't think we've ever seen a deal with immediate double retention.

I think the David Savard trade to the Lightning last year had double retention.

56 minutes ago, Pete said:

No doubt, but how's it fix the bottom 6, BUG and 3rd pair?

If Kane doesn't move the needle 5v5 (have to check the numbers), then we're just getting better at what we're already good at.

Like, we can't score. If he gives us quick strike, one shot and you're back in the game, then sure. If he doesn't do that then it's not worth the gymnastics.

It pushes whoever our current 2RW is/would be down to the bottom 6, thereby improving it. Kakko on the 3rd is better than Gauthier. Hunt on the 4th is better than McKegg.

• TroCheckmark 1

30 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I think the David Savard trade to the Lightning last year had double retention.

Looks like you’re right. That was on an expiring deal, though. Might be harder to facilitate for two years, but the Coyotes seem to be willing to do anything for picks so maybe they’d be interested in helping.

1 hour ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

plenty of cap room to adjust those other spots.

With that said, like I noted in my other post, I think any trade for Kane involves Chytil going, and also means Strome is likely un-signable at that point, meaning we don't have any centers and no cap room to bring more in. So IDK. Just a fun thought experiment 

Even when I squink as hard as I possibly can I can't see any team out there seeing Chytil as a key return piece in any meaningful deal. Just can't, we're looking to drag a can to the curb for a real meaningful asset.

47 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

It pushes whoever our current 2RW is/would be down to the bottom 6, thereby improving it. Kakko on the 3rd is better than Gauthier. Hunt on the 4th is better than McKegg.

I wouldn't call any of that a "fix".

23 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Looks like you’re right. That was on an expiring deal, though. Might be harder to facilitate for two years, but the Coyotes seem to be willing to do anything for picks so maybe they’d be interested in helping.

This is also heavily contingent on actual dollars. It’s why teams like Arizona take on dead cap hits, or entertain this kind of retention. The real dollars it costs them often pales in comparison to the cap numbers.

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

That’s basically Kakko’s next bridge deal, assuming he doesn’t get offersheeted.

Leads to an interesting question…do you consider Kakko in the deal to make it work? Cap budget unchanged. Offersheet risk eliminated. One or more of those prospects in the boatload of prospects and picks headed out to Chicago in lieu of Kakko might even turn out better than Kakko.

No. This isn’t prime Kane and it’s only a year +.