• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Shesterkin Placed on IR with 'Minor Lower-Body' Injury

Phil

• Phil changed the title to Shesterkin Suffers 'Minor Lower-Body' Injury

I think this underscores the concern that Sheshty may be prone to muscle pulls and is not a good candidate to start 65 games plus playoffs.  That means that an $800K No. 2 is not a good option and we may need a $3 million vet who can step in and start 25-30 games.  Let's hope Sheshty doesn't get chosen for team Russia.

6 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

I think this underscores the concern that Sheshty may be prone to muscle pulls and is not a good candidate to start 65 games plus playoffs.  That means that an $800K No. 2 is not a good option and we may need a $3 million vet who can step in and start 25-30 games.  Let's hope Sheshty doesn't get chosen for team Russia.

For this year we can afford a 3m vet but after this not so much 

20 minutes ago, Keirik said:

For this year we can afford a 3m vet but after this not so much 

Exactly.  Hence my concern.  The goalie goes down with another muscle injury and we have to start thinking about how this impacts signing Strome, whether we can give Kakko term, etc.

• TroCheckmark 2

1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

Exactly.  Hence my concern.  The goalie goes down with another muscle injury and we have to start thinking about how this impacts signing Strome, whether we can give Kakko term, etc.

To be fair, the backup goalie shouldn’t factor into guys like Strome or Kakko. It should factor into Tinordi and Nemeth or Hunt, and whatever other role player. They are key logs, but you don’t rip from a core for a backup. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

But what if what we really need is a 1b, more than a No. 2?  It does cross your mind when we again watched No. 1 go down with what again looked like a potential amputation.  Yeah, it may be "minor," but no one will be surprised if it's 3-4 weeks.  Let's hope Georgiev gets his act together and looks like the 1b he was thought to be when he signed his last contract.

1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

But what if what we really need is a 1b, more than a No. 2?  It does cross your mind when we again watched No. 1 go down with what again looked like a potential amputation.  Yeah, it may be "minor," but no one will be surprised if it's 3-4 weeks.  Let's hope Georgiev gets his act together and looks like the 1b he was thought to be when he signed his last contract.

Wonder if Rask would come here for half the season w/Bruins looking meh lol

3 hours ago, Winter said:

Wonder if Rask would come here for half the season w/Bruins looking meh lol

I doubt it. He’s still very much a starting caliber goaltender. I’d be shocked if he winds up somewhere other than Boston.

Lots of good options are or will be available as the season progresses. Halak, who should have been a priority this summer, has been mentioned. Holtby is another. The reason I find Halak so appealing is that he has been in every situation; he’s been a starter and a backup. He’s been the hot hand and ice cold. He can adjust very well and seemingly has no issue being put in whatever situation is thrown his way. If he’s there to support Igor, he can do that. And God forbid should Igor go down in a critical spot in the season or even in a playoff game, I have confidence he can come in and not get shelled. His experience is invaluable.

But again, as others have said, I know I give Georgiev more shit than almost anyone on here. I do tip my cap to him for the work he did last night. He came in ice cold and held the fort and made some key saves to help preserve the win; good on him. I know he has the talent to do that here and there because he has shown flashes of brilliance. But do I expect him to be able to keep us above water in the event Igor is ever down and out for awhile? Not a shot. And I get that your starter is your starter and your backup is your backup and that there is a drop off from one to the other. But it can’t be so night and day as it has been this season between the 2 when they play.

53 minutes ago, br-avery said:

We got spoiled with Henrik's endurance and longevity, guy was barely ever injured.

We did but regardless igors been hurt a little too much for comfort so far.

i said for last years draft I hope they take a couple of goalies and I reiterate that sentiment this year. 

• Phil changed the title to Shesterkin Placed on IR with 'Minor Lower-Body' Injury
Looking at the number of games played per season, it may truly be a
pipe dream to expect him to carry the workload we would hope and expect
him to. Especially when he gets hurt on routine plays. I wonder if it's
something that's fixable or he's just made of glass?  It's truly
concerning for sure.

Season   Team                        Lge    GP   Min   GA  EN SO   GAA   W   L   T   Svs    Pct
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013-14  Moscow Spartak              KHL     9   428   20   0  1  2.80   1   5   2   187  0.903
2014-15  St. Petersburg SKA          KHL     6   231    9   0  0  2.33   3   0   3   100  0.917
2015-16  St. Petersburg SKA          KHL     7   419   18   0  1  2.58   5   2   0   187  0.912
2016-17  St. Petersburg SKA          KHL    39  2191   60   0  8  1.64  27   4   6   893  0.937
2017-18  St. Petersburg SKA          KHL    28  1593   45   0  7  1.69  20   4   4   625  0.933
2018-19  St. Petersburg SKA          KHL    28  1681   31   0 10  1.11  24   4   0   625  0.953
2019-20  Hartford Wolf Pack          AHL    25  1455   46   1  3  1.90  17   4   3   652  0.934
2019-20  New York Rangers            NHL    12   692   29   0  0  2.52  10   2   0   395  0.932
2020-21  New York Rangers            NHL    35  1899   83   0  2  2.62  16  14   3   904  0.916
2021-22  New York Rangers            NHL    18  1023   35   0  1  2.05  13   3   2   522  0.937