• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gallant, Drury Expected To Name Captain This Season

Phil

Artemi Panarin does not want to be named captain of the New York Rangers, the 29-year-old forward told "Hockey in the Know" on Instagram.

"I think we have more deserving candidates for that role now," Panarin said Friday. "Would I want it? I'd rather say no, actually.

"It's not just putting a letter on the sweater and walking around taking pictures. It's a lot of rough work in the locker room. And it's not just about playing good hockey. You also have to give your energy between the periods, motivate guys, giving interviews, being the face of the franchise. Overall, it's a lot of work off the ice."

"I think I'm more effective in hockey," Panarin said. "And I'm afraid that I won't be an effective captain. I even don't speak English. How can I motivate? I can only influence with my own game. And they will listen to me without any letters."

Forward Brian Boyle, Kreider's former Rangers teammate who signed a professional tryout contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins on Sept. 3, said Kreider is an ideal candidate.

"He does everything right," Boyle said at the Smashfest Charity Ping-Pong Challenge on Aug. 5.

"I mean, I saw him come in as a little puppy dog out of Boston College (in the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs). I remember being that kid myself. The effect he had right away was obvious and he was a shot in the arm for us. He's been through everything on that team and now he's the old guard, even though he's not old. He's still got wheels, he's a high-character person, a smart individual and knows what it takes to win.

"I've been friends with him for a long time, so I'd love to see that."

https://www.nhl.com/news/rangers-panarin-does-not-want-to-be-captain/c-326214680

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

You missed the chunk where Brian Boyle openly hopes Kreider is named captain.

lol I did not miss it. That was a good tidbit, though. But, Kreider's name has been thrown around on here too for it. I could see it, but he has far too many disappearing acts for me to give him the 'C', even though you could see it this past season where he did show a bit more leadership. It's probably going to be him or Trouba.

20 minutes ago, Phil said:

You missed the chunk where Brian Boyle openly hopes Kreider is named captain.

Kreider's days here have to be numbered with Panarin, Lafreniere, and Cuylle on the way. Combined with his annual Christmas to Valentine's Day hiatus, I'd be very disappointed if he got the C.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Kreider's days here have to be numbered with Panarin, Lafreniere, and Cuylle on the way. Combined with his annual Christmas to Valentine's Day hiatus, I'd be very disappointed if he got the C.

I wouldn't, but I do understand the hesitance because of the depth. Same goes for Trouba, really.

58 minutes ago, Pete said:

Not really sure why this matters. If he's the best candidate for this season, then great. Rangers have traded their last two captains. 3 of the last 5.

Yeah, you really don't want to be known as the team who deals away your team's captain. That's just a horrible look.  They didn't have to trade either of Callahan or McDonagh, but had cover for both. Callahan was dealt for a HOFer in MSL and McDonagh technically signaled the rebuild. Naming Kreider or Trouba captain and then dealing them because of a cap crunch if just brutal.

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I think Trouba might actually gonna be the first of those 2 to get dealt.  Robertson and Schneider aren't too far away.

I disagree. I think you need players like Trouba. You can use more than one and it remains to be seen if anyone in the pipeline is actually better than him. Kreider's replacement was drafted last summer and is already in the lineup.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pete said:

I mean, Panarin said it himself

And it's not just about playing good hockey.

And as we always say on here, we have no clue what really happens behind closed doors.  But, if the choice is Kreider, then why wait all this time?  That's what makes me think it won't be him.  Even though I could see him being one of the logical choices.  

Some guys get the C and it kind of weighs on them and hurts their game.  Kreider strikes me as the type of guy who would rise to the occasion and actually bring his game up a level with it.  I mean he already disappears or has those passive streaks during seasons where he isn't visible.  I think with the C he would be more inspired to play the way he needs to play more consistently.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TwoMinutesForNothing said:

Some guys get the C and it kind of weighs on them and hurts their game.  Kreider strikes me as the type of guy who would rise to the occasion and actually bring his game up a level with it.  I mean he already disappears or has those passive streaks during seasons where he isn't visible.  I think with the C he would be more inspired to play the way he needs to play more consistently.  

That would be the hope, for sure.

CasperKreider shouldn’t need a C to show up more consistently IMO. I like his vocal approach when answering Qs - he’s quite direct and that’s a good sign. The disappearing stuff is unacceptable though and if a contract didn’t motivate him then getting a letter on his sweater won’t either. 

Edited by 4EverRangerFrank

14 hours ago, ThirtyONE said:

I disagree. I think you need players like Trouba. You can use more than one and it remains to be seen if anyone in the pipeline is actually better than him. Kreider's replacement was drafted last summer and is already in the lineup.

I hear where you're coming from 31, and no doubt the air went outta the tire last season when Trouba got knocked out of the lineup in that game against the Isles.  You could almost feel that happen with the team during the game.  But how do you fit all those contracts with Trouba pulling down $8 million?  Fox is going to cost a lot and also a few other expiring RFA's. 

We definitely need players like Trouba, I agree....just gotta figure out how to tuck 'em all in under the cap.

I'm also kinda hoping that Schneider and Robertson take Trouba's spot/role.

44 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

the air went outta the tire last season when Trouba got knocked out of the lineup in that game against the Isles.

I think too much is made of this. I don't think the air went out because Trouba was knocked out, per se, I think the effect would have been the same no matter who Martin blew up with a massive hit. Just my $.02.

• Like 1

Just now, Pete said:

I think too much is made of this. I don't think the air went out because Trouba was knocked out, per se, I think the effect would have been the same no matter who Martin blew up with a massive hit. Just my $.02.

The games that followed were kinda lacking pizzaz too.  You know, you're probably right, Pete...I guess just seeing one of the bigger, more physical players get pancaked like that, I would think would have a more telling effect, but who knows?  ...and I didn't wanna get off point but....

Thing is, I just don't know how or why we would try to squeeze Trouba's $8 million in under a cap with all this defensive talent on the way up.  Especially if we have guys like Schneider and Robertson, who may very well supplant him in a a couple of seasons.

...and I think we'll probably need all of that $8 million to keep this upcoming nucleus in tact. 

30 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yea I think it was more a case of this team desperately lacking what trouba brings (in this case experience, and some toughness) more so than this team really missing trouba himself. Everyone knows I’m not a fan of trouba and he’s only a good choice for captain if it means he’s getting traded soon. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The games that followed were kinda lacking pizzaz too.  You know, you're probably right, Pete...I guess just seeing one of the bigger, more physical players get pancaked like that, I would think would have a more telling effect, but who knows?  ...and I didn't wanna get off point but....

Thing is, I just don't know how or why we would try to squeeze Trouba's $8 million in under a cap with all this defensive talent on the way up.  Especially if we have guys like Schneider and Robertson, who may very well supplant him in a a couple of seasons.

...and I think we'll probably need all of that $8 million to keep this upcoming nucleus in tact. 

Still going to stand on the "Trouba isn't bad, his contract is" pedestal here. Unfortunately - it's a business, and yeah, he's going to end up on another team before his contract ends.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Still going to stand on the "Trouba isn't bad, his contract is" pedestal here. Unfortunately - it's a business, and yeah, he's going to end up on another team before his contract ends.

Absolutely G!  ...definitely not saying he's a bad player...I just feel like we're going to get what Trouba brings, and possibly more from the up and coming young guys....and for a lot less, where we're able to keep Fox, Panarin, and the big ticket players longer....not to mention Mika and Strome, who are going to tap the bank account a bit after this season.

As far as a captain though, and for continuity purposes, that's why I like Fox there.  He should be a Ranger for life in my eyes!!