• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

House of the Dragon

Phil

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Like how they're focusing on just a few main characters. GOT often got bogged down with so many different characters that you would barely see some in a given episode. Martin is a knucklehead, but he wasn't wrong to ditch the former show runners and take control of the narrative. 

I don't think it's too few, though. We're revolving around Viserys, Daemon, and Rhaenyra, but we've got a really strong supporting cast with House Velaryon, Otto Hightower, Queen Alicent, Ser Criston, and others.

This world is refined, but still quite large. Especially as we've expanded through The Reach.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I don't think it's too few, though. We're revolving around Viserys, Daemon, and Rhaenyra, but we've got a really strong supporting cast with House Velaryon, Otto Hightower, Queen Alicent, Ser Criston, and others.

This world is refined, but still quite large. Especially as we've expanded through The Reach.

Agreed. I think the story is also just more narrow because that's just how the nature of this particular conflict is. Unlike Game of Thrones which follows a number of factions as well as storylines that tangent i.e. Arya, Bran, etc. House of the Dragon has a clearer conflict. Game of Thrones always had too much of a balancing act to pull off in whether it could effectively pull off all those branching storylines. They didn't quite stick the landing. With House of the Dragon has a clearer two-sided conflict but it's no worse for it — I'm enjoying watching how all of the various players choose their eventual faction.

I agree that this still feels big. I feel like we're seeing a greater variety of houses and they all feel more unique than what we saw previously. 

• 1 month later...