• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Marner Watch 2019

Phil

I think that was the model Toronto was aiming for. That got thrown out the window with the Draisaitl deal and the subsequent Nylander holdout. Doubly so now that Toronto capitulated to the Draisaitl model twice (Nylander and Matthews).

I'm confused, why does the Draisaitl deal matter?

I think they're biggest problem was not trading Nylander, but I don't see why Draisaitl matters there?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is this TV deal I keep hearing about? Is it the US deal? With who?

The next Canadian deal will be a fraction of the current one, so factor that in, too. Rogers has lost their shirt on the current deal, and only CTV (TSN) could bid against them, and they're not going to pony up the same money Rogers did.

Where is this TV money coming from?

Idk about Canada, but the US NBC deal ends after the 2021-22 season. The next one will go way up from $200m/year.

I'm confused, why does the Draisaitl deal matter?

I think they're biggest problem was not trading Nylander, but I don't see why Draisaitl matters there?

Draisaitl's contract is widely viewed as the one that began changing the game on RFAs. It used to be bridge deals across the board unless you were Crosby or McDavid or whatever. Now you've got players who would traditionally have taken the 2x5 or whatever sitting out for the 8x8.