• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The JD Era Begins: Rangers Announce John Davidson as New Team President

josh

I’m all in on JD. I really am. I think he’s a smart guy. Carries himself well. People seem to gravitate towrd him.

I’m very very happy about the direction of this thing. I honestly don’t think it could have gone any better to this point.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All those interviews were really great. I am excited he's here. He's a rink rat who just knows his hockey. He also knows New York, what it's like to play here, and how difficult he can be. He'll know what players to look for when it comes to having that character and determination. I love this answer to the free agency questions too. That was perfect. It reminded of the Rangers of the late 90's and early 2000's who would sign all these veteran players, but really have no role for them.

I wonder how long until Messier is behind the bench

I don't know about being behind the bench, but JD was ALWAYS a gigantic advocate of Mess. In the old Rangers Stanley Cup video I remember a quote from Howie Rose saying that when he spoke to JD, he gave him a 10 minute tirade on how great a player Messier was, and that at the end of that talk, Howie was ready to get in his car and drive to Edmonton to pick Messier up and drive him to NY personally....Let me see if I can find that scene....it's pretty funny.

But yeah V, I think Mess is going to be a part of the show in some capacity. The guy's a winner and he brings that to the table. Can't surround yourself with enough of those types, in my opinion.

Got it!!!:

it's starts at 4:25, if the link doesn't take you right to it.

Basically, in order to sign someone, it has to make sense on a number of different levels. He mentioned avoiding players with nagging injuries and avoiding players who are too far out of the preferred age range -- saying it's not going to be a good experience for either that player or the team.

Maybe it's stating the obvious, but he specifically said multiple times that they will have to do their homework on each and every player in consideration. They need to be good personalities and good people beyond just good players.

Also mentioned Kravstov was already in NYC and was impressed with his level of dedication.

Mentioned talking to Hank in the coming weeks. Mentioned talking to Messier for a potential job in the organization.

I'm projecting here, but I don't get the sense that he's excited to bring in Panarin or Karlsson for max dollars and/or term.

Thanks for the summary - you da best

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Messier eventually having a prominent role in this organization is as sure a thing as the sun rising tomorrow morning.

Mess wants get back in the NYR organization and I don't think he was happy when he wasn't a candidate for the HC position.

Mess wants get back in the NYR organization and I don't think he was happy when he wasn't a candidate for the HC position.

He wasn't. He probably wanted the position of President too as well as the GM position before Gorton got it. But yeah, in one form or another, he will be back here.

Messier should coach the Wolf Pack

No, he shouldn't. He should go coach at much lower ranks and cut his teeth like everyone else to prove he has what it takes to teach pros.

The Wolf Pack are going to be too important a pipeline establishment to be turned into a vanity project.

messier is better suited to be an ambassador of the sport right now. i have not seen much in the way of him scouting, coaching or managing anything since his playing career was finished other than trying to get that ice rink built in the old bronx armory.

JD is a lifer. he has built his management resume the right way and has been through two succesfull rebuilds, both of which off with the respective clubs in far worse shape that the Rangers are currently.

a few takes from the various interviews:

- trading keith tkachuk, only to have him re-sign and than trading him again

- defining the role of asst gov and pres to peter rosenberg. (props to him for asking the question)

- his FA philosophy (gave me confidence he's not going to spend on old toys like a drunken sailor)

- knows full well he will have to handle the Hank situation.

- also like the Hand's on approach (wants to look at random euro scout and ask why he visited the same player 12 times)

Wasn't Messier with the organization already? Maybe just as a consultant or some bullshit?

This is the only thing I?m worried about with JD coming in .. don?t want to see messier get a position based off nothing but his reputation.

I trust JD is smarter than that but still..

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I wonder how long until Messier is behind the bench

Hopefully never.

Seems like Messier has asked for a lot of jobs without actually working his way up to them. He should get a job in the organization (like Drury, Leetch, Graves) and not hope to shoot straight to the top. It doesn't work that way.

I really don't see Mess as a coach. I see him more as some sort of management level type. I'm fine with Quinn back behind the bench; I really like him, actually. As much as I love Messier, I don't think head coach is the spot for him.

Cool stories, NY Chief. Those late 70's - early 80's Rangers were pretty solid teams. The Islanders were just a lot better at the time.

Oh yeah. An experience I'll cherish forever. I was a big fan of all those guys BEFORE that. You can only imagine 16 year old jaws dropping when their idols say "C'mon, skate with us!"

And yeah, me and a bud were the only NYR fans amidst all those Isles fans at the time but in hindsight we got to see first hand one of the best dynasty's in hockey history. At least the Cup was in NY for a while.