• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Recall F Boo Nieves, G Alexandar Georgiev

Phil

I'd like to know why you don't feel that learning to be a pro, having a veteran presence around who's had winning pedigree, and being one of the best 6 players every single night aren't all part of player development.

We have had 8 defensemen and the only one not invited to take a night off has been Staal, IIRC. Healthy competition is part of development.

McQuaid isn't hurting anything.

McQuaid isn't the problem. The decision to bring him in, having already brought in Claesson and kept everyone else is.

That logjam, to use our new favorite buzzword, is a problem because it directly results in a guy like De Angelo sitting out half the season, and severely limits the opportunities to have a look at what we have in others such as Hajek, Lindgren, Bigras etc. If they had fucked off, say, Smith and Shattenkirk and brought in McQuaid then there wouldn't be a problem. As it happens, they didn't and here we are. Even if you disagree that the Rangers would be well served giving much needed icetime to guys like De Angelo, the revolving door policy of carrying 8 d-men at all times seems less than ideal.

Yeah, I'm not sure who he's blocking, exactly. I guess ADA, but I think that's just fine to keep him uncomfortable and Claesson who is what he is.

In return, his rag dolling Kadri was almost worth his entire salary and we're going to get a return on him.

He's not blocking Lindgren/Hajek/Gilmour. They're either nowhere near ready or not a prospect to begin with.

Anybody that's been on a bad hockey team, and I've been on plenty, knows that it's one thing to lose bad and another thing entirely to get physically embarrassed. I can take the L, I can't take being lambs.

Sheep need shepherds.

Getting physically slaughtered is utterly demoralizing.

What league are you watching where that happens more than once in a blue moon? lol

Besides, Claesson and Smith are tough enough to handle that and we've had McLeod in the lineup all year...How many thumpers do they need?

What league are you watching where that happens more than once in a blue moon? lol

Besides, Claesson and Smith are tough enough to handle that and we've had McLeod in the lineup all year...How many thumpers do they need?

You keep coming back to this, comparing all these replacement-level players who play pretend tough guy with actual tough guys. Claesson is a kid playing cops and robbers. McQuaid is Denzel in Training Day.

McQuaid isn't the problem. The decision to bring him in, having already brought in Claesson and kept everyone else is.

That logjam, to use our new favorite buzzword, is a problem because it directly results in a guy like De Angelo sitting out half the season, and severely limits the opportunities to have a look at what we have in others such as Hajek, Lindgren, Bigras etc. If they had fucked off, say, Smith and Shattenkirk and brought in McQuaid then there wouldn't be a problem. As it happens, they didn't and here we are. Even if you disagree that the Rangers would be well served giving much needed icetime to guys like De Angelo, the revolving door policy of carrying 8 d-men at all times seems less than ideal.

ADA's play is limiting ADA. Same with Hajek. Lindgren always needed a year in the A.

It's really not the issue you're trying to make it into.

You keep coming back to this, comparing all these replacement-level players who play pretend tough guy with actual tough guys. Claesson is a kid playing cops and robbers. McQuaid is Denzel in Training Day.

But you don't need that, is the point. It doesn't matter if McQuaid is "tougher" than those guys because the idea that they're getting "physically slaughtered" isn't real. It's especially useless when you also have McLeod. Dylan McIlrath could go out there and be a 41% CF player and thump everyone lol,

The Rangers play one boring, non-physical game after the next. It's not like other teams a running them through the boards all night, and most are basically the exact same as the Rangers, in terms of physicality. That's just where the league is right now...NYR is top-10 in hits which is meaningless for W/L but worlds different than, like, Chicago and Ottawa.

That's only one aspect of his value. I said earlier that he's also a "glue" guy, renowned for his leadership qualities. He also plays defense, which makes him uniquely valuable to the goalie. McLeod doesn't have that same benefit given he plays like half the minutes McQuaid does, and is a forward.

ADA's play is limiting ADA. Same with Hajek. Lindgren always needed a year in the A.

It's really not the issue you're trying to make it into.

We discussed the development bit in the ADA thread, so no need to go over that again. Regardless of that, adding another defenseman when you already have 7 fit ones and no plans to move either of them is just weird. It creates a logjam that doesn't need to be there. It means you're basically planning on sitting 2 guys every fucking night. I don't know why that's even a discussion.

Also AdA's play isn't limiting ADA. It's whatever the fuck else going on around him doing that. That, Quinn's love affair with Neal Pionk and having to play McQuaid to protect his trade value I suppose.

We discussed the development bit in the ADA thread, so no need to go over that again. Regardless of that, adding another defenseman when you already have 7 fit ones and no plans to move either of them is just weird. It creates a logjam that doesn't need to be there. It means you're basically planning on sitting 2 guys every fucking night. I don't know why that's even a discussion.

Also AdA's play isn't limiting ADA. It's whatever the fuck else going on around him doing that. That and Quinn having to play McQuaid to protect his trade value I suppose.

They might have plans to move McQuaid and Claesson for all we know, and no one was set back this year by having them here, because their play has been pretty much trash and makes Quinn's decision easy.

That's only one aspect of his value. I said earlier that he's also a "glue" guy, renowned for his leadership qualities. He also plays defense, which makes him uniquely valuable to the goalie. McLeod doesn't have that same benefit given he plays like half the minutes McQuaid does, and is a forward.

By your standard, he does not play defense.

"Glue guy" and "leader" sounds to me like a #6/7 D, who you give up a 4th for.

That's... what they did?

I mean that's what a deadline team does.

It's stupid for the Rangers, because they wanted to flip him at the deadline. Really, what they are going to end up doing, is just moving a dozen or so spots down in the draft for a year of McQuaid, which is totally pointless.

I mean that's what a deadline team does.

It's stupid for the Rangers, because they wanted to flip him at the deadline. Really, what they are going to end up doing, is just moving a dozen or so spots down in the draft for a year of McQuaid, which is totally pointless.

A dozen spots in the 4th round is really splitting hairs...

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Also AdA's play isn't limiting ADA. It's whatever the fuck else going on around him doing that. That, Quinn's love affair with Neal Pionk and having to play McQuaid to protect his trade value I suppose.

There has rarely been a logjam. With McQuaid and Cleasson's injuries there has only been 7 healthy d most of the year.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Over his career he's won more fights than he's lost. If you don't think he's light years more physical than any other dman we have that's hard to understand. Is he a stud hell no but he's the best of the lot. He's the least of the problems (with Staal) when it comes to actually playing D. He's also blocking absolutely no one of value.

Archived