• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

All-Star Weekend

Phil

NHL basically ran the WC(recall the "Young Guns" stupidity?). Probably could assuage owners who would not get an ASG once every 32 years with some WC games or some share of that TV and gate $ instead. Agree the Olympics are a stickier thing, but it has been done and done well. The IHF runs also that idiotic "World Championship" during the Stanley Cup, so perhaps some deal could be made to get rid of that or incorporate it into the WC,and give the NHL a piece. As to injury concerns, players could get hurt in practice or like Brian Leetch, slipping on a patch of ice on a city street (or at least that was the story). Big Picture-Bettman is a douchebag who doesn't grasp what sells the sport. What can you expect a guy who shut it all down to keep a team in Arizona.

And f___ this ASG. They're all drunk anyway.

My satellite receiver picked the perfect weekend to go down: no football weekend before the Super Bowl and NHL All Star Game. Thank goodness I don't even have to think about watching. Didn't stop me from imploring the DIRECTV rep to get my new receiver here fast so I can supposedly watch the All Star Game.

NHL basically ran the WC(recall the "Young Guns" stupidity?). Probably could assuage owners who would not get an ASG once every 32 years with some WC games or some share of that TV and gate $ instead. Agree the Olympics are a stickier thing, but it has been done and done well. The IHF runs also that idiotic "World Championship" during the Stanley Cup, so perhaps some deal could be made to get rid of that or incorporate it into the WC,and give the NHL a piece. As to injury concerns, players could get hurt in practice or like Brian Leetch, slipping on a patch of ice on a city street (or at least that was the story). Big Picture-Bettman is a douchebag who doesn't grasp what sells the sport. What can you expect a guy who shut it all down to keep a team in Arizona.

This is a disingenuous argument.

Anyway, we have this thread every year and every year the same people say the same things. If you think the ASG sucks or you're not going to watch, we know and we get it already. Really no point in the annual ritual of complaining.

You're dancing around the main point, which is it fits in to professional soccer seamlessly multiple times a year over multiple league across the planet.

What's hockey's excuse, again?

The best argument against International play in hockey is that the usual suspects will botch it and turn it in to a meaningless sham like they've already done. The logistical question is just laziness.

Brian Leetch was obliterated. Completely fucking smashed.

You're dancing around the main point, which is it fits in to professional soccer seamlessly multiple times a year over multiple league across the planet.

What's hockey's excuse, again?

The best argument against International play in hockey is that the usual suspects will botch it and turn it in to a meaningless sham like they've already done. The logistical question is just laziness.

Well, my main point would be that soccer's popularity would be what it is, with or without World Cup.

Im kind of tired of the 4 team 3 on 3. I wish they would go back to East vs. West, but do it 3 on 3, a full game like they used to do. I also did not like that puck trail they used last night, I really hope they don't do that for every game next year. I like the All Star game, I just don't like this format. And they should do what baseball does where the winner of the All Star game gets home ice advantage for the finals.

Im kind of tired of the 4 team 3 on 3. I wish they would go back to East vs. West, but do it 3 on 3, a full game like they used to do. I also did not like that puck trail they used last night, I really hope they don't do that for every game next year. I like the All Star game, I just don't like this format. And they should do what baseball does where the winner of the All Star game gets home ice advantage for the finals.

I want an old fashioned, 5 on 5, east vs west with All Stars. We don’t need 1 player from revert team if they’re not all stars.

3 on 3 has the most scoring, best for sponsors and casual fans. I think 4 on 4 would be nice because it would allow more players to be invited, and there are some players I would have liked to see included. 4 on 4 hockey is pretty entertaining when it happens in a game... and you wouldn't see some of the 3 on 3 puck possession shenanigans/line changes.

Archived