• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#48) Rangers @ Boston Bruins // Shippin' Up Ta Bahstin

Phil

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Screw the tanking. Play to win and he results maybe a bottom 5 finish anyway. The lottery system is so weighted that rooting for 82 losses to gain 18% chance at picking first. Am I wrong or finishing worst gets you an 18% chance while finishing 8th like last year gets you a 3%. Either way the odds are terrible to root against your team for 7 months.

If you tank, you will never assure yourself of ending up with the least points and the 18% chance. You merely make it likely that you will finish in the bottom 5, which, collectively, gives you about a 7-8% chance of getting the top pick. Is that really worth creating chaos and instilling a losing mentality? BTW, Chytl is a guy who will NOT benefit from this break!

If you tank, you will never assure yourself of ending up with the least points and the 18% chance. You merely make it likely that you will finish in the bottom 5, which, collectively, gives you about a 7-8% chance of getting the top pick. Is that really worth creating chaos and instilling a losing mentality? BTW, Chytl is a guy who will NOT benefit from this break!

Worked for Florida, Buffalo, Arizona and Edmonton. Look how well they're doing now after just 5 or 6 short years of being an absolute embarrassment.

Worked for Florida, Buffalo, Arizona and Edmonton. Look how well they're doing now after just 5 or 6 short years of being an absolute embarrassment.

So weird how it's the four NHL destinations least likely for a free agent to sign in the first place, eh?

So weird how it's the four NHL destinations least likely for a free agent to sign in the first place, eh?
Edmonton and Buffalo not being UFA destination has nothing to do with being bad and you know it. Pronger couldn't get out fast enough after a Stanley Cup run, IIRC.

Also, again, the last team to tank was the Pens for Mario.

No players TRY to lose.

This team isn't good, and will be worse when they trade key pieces like Hayes and Zucc, and potentially Krieder, Names, Buch and Vesey.

They should trade these players because they aren't part of the future. The byproduct will be a very bad team. That's not a tank. That's just business.

Edmonton and Buffalo not being UFA destination has nothing to do with being bad and you know it. Pronger couldn't get out fast enough after a Stanley Cup run, IIRC.

You're proving my point that no one wants to be in those locations. I've made similar arguments about losing culture, too. I agree it matters. But it's important not to rely on the extremities to drive that point home.

Also, Pronger's wife is the one who wanted out, for the record.

You're proving my point that no one wants to be in those locations. I've made similar arguments about losing culture, too. I agree it matters. But it's important not to rely on the extremities to drive that point home.

Well, no, the point you made is that tanking made those teams bad, and UFAs don't go to bad teams. The reality is that UFAs don't go to Buffalo and Edmonton because no one really wants to live there. When has Buffalo every landed a top-shelf UFA? Which UFAs were they ever able to retain? Same with Edmonton. People can't get out fast enough because it's brutal place to live. Same really goes with Winnipeg. They keep their guys, sure, but what UFAs go there? Has nothing to do with losing.

And RE: Pronger, it doesn't matter who wanted out, the net result is people don't want to live there, if given a choice. You think the players don't talk to their wives before signing a contract? Some players have their choice of where to sign, some don't. The leftovers go to places like BUF and EDM and those places have to over-pay.

I think it’s more of a franchise issue than location.

No one wanted to play in TB years ago.

Archived