• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hayes Leaving Decision Up to the Rangers

Phil

You can't give a 7 year contract to a player like Hayes who has a questionable work ethic, IMO. Maybe I'm wrong, and he is a wonderful locker room guy, dedicated to treat his body like a temple, and is going to be a warrior for the next 7 years. But Hayes is the kind of player that Yzerman would trade and get a small fortune for.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can't give a 7 year contract to a player like Hayes who has a questionable work ethic, IMO. Maybe I'm wrong, and he is a wonderful locker room guy, dedicated to treat his body like a temple, and is going to be a warrior for the next 7 years. But Hayes is the kind of player that Yzerman would trade and get a small fortune for.

I agree with the concern. But if the rangers are going to trade him for futures then they cannot go and sign the panarin and Karlsson types this summer. Both of them have the same concerns as far as long term deals due to their age. In trading Hayes the team gets worse and creates another hole. Adding the futures only strengthens them in theory down the line. For the next couple of years it makes them worse and puts them in weaker spot to contend making deals for older ufas pointless

If you trade Hayes, you're committing to not being a contending team until 2021 at the earliest, because Howden, Lias, and Chytil are nowhere close to being top 6 centers. So there's no sense in keeping any forward not on an ELC, and no way you're going to be a spender in the offseason.

If you trade Hayes, you're committing to not being a contending team until 2021 at the earliest, because Howden, Lias, and Chytil are nowhere close to being top 6 centers. So there's no sense in keeping any forward not on an ELC, and no way you're going to be a spender in the offseason.

I agree with this, but I also think the state of the defense means we're not a contender until 2021 anyway.

That said, more and more every day Hayes makes a case to keep him. He's done nothing but get better. There's nothing wrong with having a 30 year old second line center on a contending team. There is a huge difference between having a 30 year old on your team, and signing a 30 year old to an 8 year deal, and sometimes I think we lose sight of that nuance.

Right, that's the feeling I get, that some people view this as an ELC rotation anyone not on one should be gone.

It's always a gamble, and with Hayes much more so than Kreider, but if you don't keep your PAG 26 YO Center, uhh.. What are we doing here?

IMO Hayes can be the heart/soul, bring the intangibles, captain material in a 2-3-4 years when the we all expect the Rangers to be contending, and the younger kids are on the cusp of being the core of the team. If the Rangers are going to contend in 2021 they're going to need players like Hayes for leadership.

IMO Hayes can be the heart/soul, bring the intangibles, captain material in a 2-3-4 years when the we all expect the Rangers to be contending, and the younger kids are on the cusp of being the core of the team. If the Rangers are going to contend in 2021 they're going to need players like Hayes for leadership.

Yeah, count me in on that.

Right, that's the feeling I get, that some people view this as an ELC rotation anyone not on one should be gone.

It's always a gamble, and with Hayes much more so than Kreider, but if you don't keep your PAG 26 YO Center, uhh.. What are we doing here?

See Krieder scares my much more than Hayes because Hayes is potentially a 70ish point guy we're gonna pay $7 million for.

Krieder is a known commodity at around 50ish points and we're gonna pay him $7 million.

True, but I know I'm getting those points, goals specifically, and his game is now more net front than transition which should help as he gets older.

Plus, he's a beast and gives that forward Corp a certain amount of cach? in the league.

If Hayes was 15/20 next year I can't say I would act shocked.

See Krieder scares my much more than Hayes because Hayes is potentially a 70ish point guy we're gonna pay $7 million for.

Krieder is a known commodity at around 50ish points and we're gonna pay him $7 million.

Well if he goes 40/60 this year (pacing 44/64) and then comes close to that next year, you're paying a ~40-goal, ~60-point player. $7m for that is probably a team-friendly deal.

True, but I know I'm getting those points, goals specifically, and his game is now more net front than transition which should help as he gets older.

Plus, he's a beast and gives that forward Corp a certain amount of cach? in the league.

If Hayes was 15/20 next year I can't say I would act shocked.

Do you mean 15 or 20 goals? Or 35 total points?

if you can look into your crystal ball and tell me hayes has turned a corner and is going to be a productive player and continue to work, then sign me up. the organization sees him day in and day out and can make that judgement. i would feel much better about a four or five year contract, but get that the market helps determine the price and length

if you can look into your crystal ball and tell me hayes has turned a corner and is going to be a productive player and continue to work, then sign me up. the organization sees him day in and day out and can make that judgement. i would feel much better about a four or five year contract, but get that the market helps determine the price and length

If I had to bet money on a player it would be the one who's driving the offense, not the one who needs other players to create his chances for him. For all that Krieder brings, unless other player are springing him or getting pucks to the net for him, he's pretty useless and doesn't contribute in other areas i.e. PK.

Perfect world I wouldn?t give anyone a contract over four years.

Wait? Huh?

Has hayes even hit 50 pts? Aren?t they the same age?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

You do know that Hayes has never outscored Kreids (expect last season because of Kreids' injury - Kreid's ppg was higher than Hayes' last year aswell) and this year Hayes has 2 points more (and 10 goals less) in the same amount of games. Why is Kreids is just a 50ish point player while Hayes is a potential 70 point player? They are even the same age.

Why are you basing Kreids on his past, but Hayes only his last current pace?

You do know that Hayes has never outscored Kreids (expect last season because of Kreids' injury - Kreid's ppg was higher than Hayes' last year aswell) and this year Hayes has 2 points more (and 10 goals less) in the same amount of games. Why is Kreids is just a 50ish point player while Hayes is a potential 70 point player? They are even the same age.

Why are you basing Kreids on his past, but Hayes only his last current pace?

Kreider is a year older and 7 years pro vs 5 for Hayes.

I mean it's my gut feeling and my concern over who I'd rather have. I can base it on anything I want. I think Hayes is more likely a 70 point player than Krieder a 40 goal scorer in the future.

For me, this boils down to two decisions:

The first one is for management two decide where the rebuild is heading next. Are they going after the big UFA's like Panarin or Stone in the summer, or is the idea to stock up on young talent for another season? If it's the latter you probably trade Hayes in the coming month or so. If it's the former, you have to make the second decision. Is Hayes the same guy just playing out of his skin for his next contract, or has he taken the next step as a hockey player and grown with added responsibility and being a senior locker room guy, thereby making it likely that what we're seeing now is what we can expect in the future? If it's the latter re-signing him seems like a bit of a no-brainer.

Archived