• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Send F Lias Andersson to HFD

Phil

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I initially took the “certain thing nhl players have to do” as score.
I took it as Quinn's version of "learn to be a pro".

I think he has one chance left, and it should run from this March through Training Camp/October.

I think at that point you should be looking for change of scenery candidates to exchange him for.

Maybe, but they haven't really given him a fair shake just yet. If that March-through-Training Camp/October window forces him to play ten minutes a night with McLeod, then yup. And they'll have done it to themselves.

I think the better path is to do what they did with Chytil when he, too, spent a handful of games on the fourth line. Realize it's stupid to expect prospects with higher ceilings to do anything with only a handful of minutes and a couple of plugs and forcibly inject him into an offensive role where he can sink or swim.

They didn't handle Lias any differently than they handled Chytil or Howden. The difference is that Chytil and Howden forced management to move them up the lineup with their play, and Lias hasn't.

I don't agree with simply handing a top 6 role to the "character, NHL-ready player" we drafted 7th overall when he's done absolutely nothing at all to earn it.

Phil, I think the point your article misses a bit (and it's a point we've all acknowledged) is that a rebuilding team needs to amass as many assets as possible, hopefully picks. So just letting Spooner and/or Names simply walk out the door is poor asset management. Names already has more value to us now than he did end of last year. They turned Spooner into Strome, but realistically I doubt anyone was giving much up for an RFA Spooner over the summer. McCleod isn't blocking Andersson if you don't want Andersson on the 4th line.

All Andersson had to do was outplay/outpractice/out-smile Spooner and Names, the way that Howden and Chytil probably did, and this outcome may have been different.

On a team that's scratched almost everyone, including Hayes and Shattenkirk, it really shows that all you have to do is play well and you'll play, and Lias didn't do it consistently enough.

Again, when your character, NHL ready player shakes out this way, it's a massive reflection on him, not management.

Chytil's production wasn't there but the way he carried play just meant he was having some rough puck luck opposed to not deserving a chance.

I am more concerned that Howden seems to have a long leash. He has made a handful of nice plays earlier on this season, but completely invisible for some time now while playing many more minutes than Andersson. This has to be an attitude thing more than a production thing for Andersson.

I took it as Quinn's version of "learn to be a pro".

They didn't handle Lias any differently than they handled Chytil or Howden. The difference is that Chytil and Howden forced management to move them up the lineup with their play, and Lias hasn't.

I don't agree with simply handing a top 6 role to the "character, NHL-ready player" we drafted 7th overall when he's done absolutely nothing at all to earn it.

Phil, I think the point your article misses a bit (and it's a point we've all acknowledged) is that a rebuilding team needs to amass as many assets as possible, hopefully picks. So just letting Spooner and/or Names simply walk out the door is poor asset management. Names already has more value to us now than he did end of last year. They turned Spooner into Strome, but realistically I doubt anyone was giving much up for an RFA Spooner over the summer. McCleod isn't blocking Andersson if you don't want Andersson on the 4th line.

All Andersson had to do was outplay/outpractice/out-smile Spooner and Names, the way that Howden and Chytil probably did, and this outcome may have been different.

On a team that's scratched almost everyone, including Hayes and Shattenkirk, it really shows that all you have to do is play well and you'll play, and Lias didn't do it consistently enough.

Again, when your character, NHL ready player shakes out this way, it's a massive reflection on him, not management.

I wasn't suggesting those guys be left to walk. I was saying they should have been traded for more futures. There was no reason to give either a two-year deal. That's not insulation. It's a smothering atmosphere for the kids, who ended up competing with each other rather than with the veterans for roster spots. Andersson never should have been pit against Howden in the same way DeAngelo never should have been pit against Pionk and so on. With one or more fewer lame duck Fs and Ds, the dynamic would have been entirely different.

I'm not impressed by Andersson in the least, but I can also recognize that he hasn't really been given the same opportunities as Chytil or Howden were. The vast majority of games Andersson has played in the NHL to this point have been on trashcan fourth lines. I want to see him in an extended offensive role before I'm willing to just write him off.

There is so much we can’t see away from the games.

His work ethic, attitude, etc.

I think there is a reason Chytil and Howden have been given longer leashes

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

You think it's shit? If so, that's a poor reflection on management, who valued him so highly for exactly those things.

I wasn't suggesting those guys be left to walk. I was saying they should have been traded for more futures. There was no reason to give either a two-year deal. That's not insulation. It's a smothering atmosphere for the kids, who ended up competing with each other rather than with the veterans for roster spots. Andersson never should have been pit against Howden in the same way DeAngelo never should have been pit against Pionk and so on. With one or more fewer lame duck Fs and Ds, the dynamic would have been entirely different.

Names had zero value end of last year, as I said. They might have tried to move Spooner, or hope he kept up his torrid pace and gotten more of a return.

That said, the dynamic you're referring to here doesn't exist. The best players have played. The evidence is that Spooner has sat, Names has sat, Hayes had sat, Shattenkirk has sat and doesn't play the PP anymore. There were 6 guys competing for 3 spots and the best 3 players played. Just so happens there were both vets and rooks in that mix.

The fact that we're all sitting here unable to pinpoint a player who should be sitting instead of Lias (if you don't want him on the 4th line) says a lot about Lias.

Names had zero value end of last year, as I said. They might have tried to move Spooner, or hope he kept up his torrid pace and gotten more of a return.

That said, the dynamic you're referring to here doesn't exist. The best players have played. The evidence is that Spooner has sat, Names has sat, Hayes had sat, Shattenkirk has sat and doesn't play the PP anymore. There were 6 guys competing for 3 spots and the best 3 players played. Just so happens there were both vets and rooks in that mix.

The fact that we're all sitting here unable to pinpoint a player who should be sitting instead of Lias (if you don't want him on the 4th line) says a lot about Lias.

I provided an option. Howden. Why has he not had a role demotion despite doing pretty much nothing? If this wasnt character based, it was a perfect opportunity to plug in Andersson for a bit while giving Howden a bit of a wakeup shake.

Well, yes and no. We're talking about two different timelines here. I agree that Quinn has played the best performing players, but the process of crafting the opening night roster pit rookies against rookies. These aren't mutually exclusive events.

The reason for this is because the Rangers held too many cards, even if they were forced to.

Also, I'd move Howden to the AHL at this point with no real issue. He's come back to earth big time.

I provided an option. Howden. Why has he not had a role demotion despite doing pretty much nothing? If this wasnt character based, it was a perfect opportunity to plug in Andersson for a bit while giving Howden a bit of a wakeup shake.

Do you think there's a real tangible difference if you swapped the two? I'm talking about a situation where it's criminal that one player is dressing over another. I don't think that's really the case here.

Well, yes and no. We're talking about two different timelines here. I agree that Quinn has played the best performing players, but the process of crafting the opening night roster pit rookies against rookies. These aren't mutually exclusive events.

The reason for this is because the Rangers held too many cards, even if they were forced to.

Also, I'd move Howden to the AHL at this point with no real issue. He's come back to earth big time.

I don't think Quinn has moved the goal posts at all. All Lias had to do was be better. And he wasn't.

And maybe the reason he's not playing over Howden is something we don't see, but again...You have to admit it's being handed a promotion not because of what HE DID, but because of what someone else DIDN'T do.

Weird. I thought that 4th line was building some chemistry and creating some chances. Andersson has definitely underwhelmed, but I'm not sure why you'd send him down after already using up his first year of his entry level contract.

If they are making room for Cody god damn Mcleod, then management is making a mistake. And that's coming from someone who isn't all that into Andersson. But you have to play the kid after burning his first year. As others have said. No reason to not swap Howden and Andersson's roles. But fuck.. Losing your roster spot for Mcleod is a red flag. Supposed top prospect. Or Mcleod....

I hated that God damn pick.

Do you think there's a real tangible difference if you swapped the two? I'm talking about a situation where it's criminal that one player is dressing over another. I don't think that's really the case here.

Criminal? No it isnt that egregious. I just find it odd that he has gotten a free pass, but yet have seen enough of Andersson playing with shit liners to demote him rather than give him an honest go.

Criminal? No it isnt that egregious. I just find it odd that he has gotten a free pass, but yet have seen enough of Andersson playing with shit liners to demote him rather than give him an honest go.
OK but that goes back to my point above. That's not Lias earning a promotion. It's Howden earning a demotion.

And honestly Lias has been with Strome who has been very good since coming over. Lias isn't really with plugs.

Strome had a good first few games. Garbage since

He's not a good player, period. Outside of a career year on the Island, he's done nothing of note despite a ton of opportunity to find his NHL sea legs. He's relatively young but fairly expensive for a mostly ineffective bottom-six player.

He's not a good player, period. Outside of a career year on the Island, he's done nothing of note despite a ton of opportunity to find his NHL sea legs. He's relatively young but fairly expensive for a mostly ineffective bottom-six player.

Tavares gave a lot of wingers career years

Yea, that's just not true. McCleod isn't a good player.

Is Strome worth a #5 overall? No. But then he's with his peers in Lias. ;-)

Sarcasm? Or just worst possible thread to post this

not at all. I like the way he preaches accountability. Given the upcoming schedule with lack of practice time its a smart move to send him down and get him more minutes at his natural position.

i'm not worried about his attitude, who amongst us didn't need to do a bit of growing up at 20 years of age.

Yea, that's just not true. McCleod isn't a good player.

Is Strome worth a #5 overall? No. But then he's with his peers in Lias. ;-)

By what measure do you consider him good? Serious question. What is he actually going at? Using objectively horrible players to compare to doesn't make him good.

Archived