• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#36) Rangers vs. Columbus Blue Jackets / Death is Safe

Phil

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can have all the talent in the world but until Ruff is removed as the D coach and assistant they will not learn how to close out a game!

And Staal needs to go as well. He is a total liability. Make sure Ruff is fired because this can't be happening every night. We are in a hockey groundhog day considering how we have lost five games in overtime at home.

You can have all the talent in the world but until Ruff is removed as the D coach and assiant they will not learn how to close out a game!

Not really. I mean our defense sucks. Pionk and Staal have been ok and Claesson really although McQuaid had played decent. We only have 2 or 3 guys carrying the offense

How many late leads are we going to blow this season? It might be time to rotate in some young goalies more often.

I assure you the goalie is not the problem.

This is the story of Hank's career. Stellar on the shots he shouldn't be able to stop... Not so much or more routine saves.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/lundqhe01.html

Pick your stat... I'd say peak Lundqvist was around 2011 or 2012. Lundqvist is 36 years old.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/r/roypa01.html

Patrick Roy retired at 37 years old.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/luongro01.html

Roberto Luongo is 39 years old.

We are seeing a diminished Lundqvist (compared to 2011-2)... how diminished depends on the eye of the beholder. Lundqvist will be the last one to accept that he is diminishing... and there will be some difficult conversations between the Rangers and Lundqvist over the next few years until he decides to retire, move to another team, or accept a reduced workload (number of games).

Say what you want about Hank...yeah he allowed a bad one, but he made some sparklers last night.

The problem is this team is going to consistently get out shot, out hit, out skated, and lose the differential on face offs every night...or so it seems.

22 shots on goal??? ...really??? I don't give a shit what team you're playing...you get 22 shots on goal...you're not winning the lot of those games. And go figure, we blow a defensive face off and it bites us in the ass...the Rangers have been a very poor face off team all year, it was just a matter of time before it reared it's ugly head. I wish I could say that was the last time we're probably going to see it happen.

I suppose the silver lining to this is that a lot of us have already surrendered to the fact that this season was going to be this way. Yeah they had a nice little run there early, where you could almost use the the word "playoffs", but that shit ain't happenin'...and it's probably better off. They need to draft some youth, restock the shelves in the farm and unload some old vets over the next couple of seasons.

Maybe in 2 seasons we'll be able to say, "Hey! remember when these guys couldn't hold a lead for shit?....Look at 'em now!"

But addressing the Ruff statement...I agree...I was never an advocate of having him back there behind the bench. He'll be an addition by subtraction!

Say what you want about Hank...yeah he allowed a bad one, but he made some sparklers last night.

The problem is this team is going to consistently get out shot, out hit, out skated, and lose the differential on faceoffs every night...or so it seems.

22 shots on goal??? ...really??? I don't give a shit what team you're playing...you get 22 shots on goal...you're not winning a lot of those games. And go figure, we blow a defensive face off and it bites us in the ass...the Rangers have been a very poor faceoff team all year, it was just a matter of time before it reared its ugly head. I wish I could say that was the last time we're probably going to see it happen.

I suppose the silver lining to this is that a lot of us have already surrendered to the fact that this season was going to be this way. Yeah, they had a nice little run there early, where you could almost use the word "playoffs", but that shit ain't happenin'...and it's probably better off. They need to draft some youth, restock the shelves in the farm and unload some old vets over the next couple of seasons.

Maybe in 2 seasons, we'll be able to say, "Hey! remember when these guys couldn't hold a lead for shit?.... Look at 'em now!"

But addressing the Ruff statement...I agree...I was never an advocate of having him back there behind the bench. He'll be an addition by subtraction!

I completely agree. We've been a poor faceoff team and it costed us in the game. Our players have not been taught properly by the coaches as to why they can't win faceoffs in the more important parts of the game.

We also need to get more chances (I.e crash the net and get in front) because when you get chances near the net, more likely than not you will score on those chances.

As for the defense, Staal and Shattenkirk are complete liabilities. Our young defensemen are out of position which leads to opposing teams capitalizing by scoring.

Ruff needs to go. He has not been a good coach for this type of d-men. Looks like management didn't see his later years as the coach in Buffalo where the team was booed for their inconsistent effort on the ice, mainly on defense. The question is who will be his replacement if he's gone?

The problem is this team is going to consistently get out shot, out hit, out skated, and lose the differential on face offs every night...or so it seems.

22 shots on goal??? ...really??? I don't give a shit what team you're playing...you get 22 shots on goal...you're not winning the lot of those games. And go figure, we blow a defensive face off and it bites us in the ass...the Rangers have been a very poor face off team all year, it was just a matter of time before it reared it's ugly head. I wish I could say that was the last time we're probably going to see it happen.

I suppose the silver lining to this is that a lot of us have already surrendered to the fact that this season was going to be this way. Yeah they had a nice little run there early, where you could almost use the the word "playoffs", but that shit ain't happenin'...and it's probably better off. They need to draft some youth, restock the shelves in the farm and unload some old vets over the next couple of seasons.

Maybe in 2 seasons we'll be able to say, "Hey! remember when these guys couldn't hold a lead for shit?....Look at 'em now!"

outshot, outhit, but i don't think they get out skated ,at least not in a regular basis

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/lundqhe01.html

Pick your stat... I'd say peak Lundqvist was around 2011 or 2012. Lundqvist is 36 years old.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/r/roypa01.html

Patrick Roy retired at 37 years old.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/luongro01.html

Roberto Luongo is 39 years old.

We are seeing a diminished Lundqvist (compared to 2011-2)... how diminished depends on the eye of the beholder. Lundqvist will be the last one to accept that he is diminishing... and there will be some difficult conversations between the Rangers and Lundqvist over the next few years until he decides to retire, move to another team, or accept a reduced workload (number of games).

If he is going to be the highest player on NYR and the highest paid goalie by far, then he has to be able to backstop some nasty defense and not give up any softies. The cap, which I personally think is a joke(all for cost certainty and keeping the Coyotes in business or some other such nonsense; appears we may revisit this in 2020), forces you to think like that. It's why Callahan, Stralman, Haglin, McDonough, Yandle,Talbot and Miller are no longer here(though must admit inexplicably looks very much like the rules don't appear to apply to the Pens, but I digress). And he is not doing that.

When was the last time you said Lundqvist stole a game or outplayed the other goalie by a lot? And I'm not talking about the BS nightly ballwashing Sam and Joe do every night. but hard reality.

Archived