• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Arranged Third Period Truces: Regulation Record is Now 8-13-11

Sod16

I think you're right, man.

I suppose it just pains me to see a game I once viewed as a tougher contest, turn into an NHL skills competition where everyone gets a trophy (OT Ties) at the end. I realize it's for marketing the game and I get that, but I really don't think it does much. I think the game could actually sell itself nowadays.

You can credit Bettman, fine...but I give more credit to social media, and the media in general. Hockey is one of the fastest, and most exciting games out there, and it was just a matter of time before it went viral. I'll call it good timing...not-so much Bettman.

...and I surely don't think an extra 5 minutes, and a fucking shootout are the reason the game is as popular as it is. If anything, I hate the damn shootout, and I also despise the fact that when you beat a team in OT, they get a fucking point. That shit's gotta go, in my not-so-humble opinion, I'm sorry...

But it ain't gonna happen so I guess, it's all a moot point.

I tend to agree with you about not liking the "skills competition" thing

But Bettman deserves some credit for making the game faster and more exciting. Hard to tangibly say his impact, but he's the commish in a league that has actively and explicitly acted to do that.

Archived